TimeBuster
member
Hello everyone, it's been a while since I last updated. Also, thanks to those who have posted.
At my last visit before having surgery for the reconstruction of the LCL during the office examination my OS was manipulating my knee back and forth and side to side and felt there was too much play in my knee since I was going to be opened up for LCL surgery that I would benefit having a larger spacer for better stability. I can tell you this, after having the spacer replaced my knee feels much more stable and it doesn't feel like it's going to give out as it did with the smaller spacer.
If you feel that you are having issues with stability, I would bring it to your OS attention it might be due to weak muscles around your knee. Good luck with your upcoming TKR surgery.
Same here, I got up from sitting down and suddenly I felt this horrendous sharp pain in the middle of my knee. I could not put bear weight on my knee without being in pain. A few days later after showering I look at myself in my full-length mirror and realize that my knee was buckling to the right. My new knee was curving outward like overnight I became bowlegged. After being examined and a CT scan my worst fear became a reality, it was confirmed that I had a complete tear of my LCL (lateral collateral ligament) which required reconstruction surgery to repair it.
It is very common after having knee surgery for muscles, ligaments, tendons and nerves to be very painful and stiff. It's not unusual to re-aggravate a ligament or a tendon best medicine is to ice rest and back off of doing any extensive exercise.
I had my three week OS checkup yesterday from my last surgery for reconstruction of the LCL and revision to place a larger spacer in my new implant. At my office visit yesterday I had x-rays taken and everything looks good. My LCL is healing very nicely my leg is nice and straight and stable. (I am no longer bowlegged in one leg lol) My OS is very happy with my recovery "so far" and so am I.
Still have to wear a knee brace for stability for three more weeks, although I do take it off at night because is very uncomfortable to sleep with. ROM (range of motion) that I lost during this past surgery has returned back to pre-surgery, 120 flex / 0 extension and getting better each day. I am still on no bear weight restriction and using my walker to get around until my next visit with my OS in three weeks. I do my daily exercise routine every day to keep my knee from getting stiff and from losing muscle strength. I still ice 3 to 4 times a day even though there is no apparent swelling. I'm off any heavy duty pain meds I occasionally take one Aleve if needed.
It's been a very long seven months. Two-stage revision, December 18, 2018, remove staph infected metal prosthesis insert antibiotic spacer with 2 rods. Three months in a immobilize knee brace, six weeks of antibiotic via PICC line. March 28, 2019, removed antibiotic spacer and rods replaced with a new prosthesis component. June 18, 2019 reconstruction of the LCL and revision linear spacer exchange. It's been a very long and tough road with many ups and downs in the last seven months.
In your life, you are going to face challenges, but you are not defined by those challenges. you are defined by the actions you take and the attitude you carry when you face your challenges head on. Through the good, the bad, and the ugly of my total knee replacement, I made it out of the trenches and I know you can too.
I have an unstable right knee. I noted with interest your posting about the larger plastic spacer. I don't know if that would be a solution for me
At my last visit before having surgery for the reconstruction of the LCL during the office examination my OS was manipulating my knee back and forth and side to side and felt there was too much play in my knee since I was going to be opened up for LCL surgery that I would benefit having a larger spacer for better stability. I can tell you this, after having the spacer replaced my knee feels much more stable and it doesn't feel like it's going to give out as it did with the smaller spacer.
If you feel that you are having issues with stability, I would bring it to your OS attention it might be due to weak muscles around your knee. Good luck with your upcoming TKR surgery.
My ligament sprain pain felt like the pain you described, came on suddenly, and would no longer hold my weight.
Same here, I got up from sitting down and suddenly I felt this horrendous sharp pain in the middle of my knee. I could not put bear weight on my knee without being in pain. A few days later after showering I look at myself in my full-length mirror and realize that my knee was buckling to the right. My new knee was curving outward like overnight I became bowlegged. After being examined and a CT scan my worst fear became a reality, it was confirmed that I had a complete tear of my LCL (lateral collateral ligament) which required reconstruction surgery to repair it.
It is very common after having knee surgery for muscles, ligaments, tendons and nerves to be very painful and stiff. It's not unusual to re-aggravate a ligament or a tendon best medicine is to ice rest and back off of doing any extensive exercise.
I had my three week OS checkup yesterday from my last surgery for reconstruction of the LCL and revision to place a larger spacer in my new implant. At my office visit yesterday I had x-rays taken and everything looks good. My LCL is healing very nicely my leg is nice and straight and stable. (I am no longer bowlegged in one leg lol) My OS is very happy with my recovery "so far" and so am I.
Still have to wear a knee brace for stability for three more weeks, although I do take it off at night because is very uncomfortable to sleep with. ROM (range of motion) that I lost during this past surgery has returned back to pre-surgery, 120 flex / 0 extension and getting better each day. I am still on no bear weight restriction and using my walker to get around until my next visit with my OS in three weeks. I do my daily exercise routine every day to keep my knee from getting stiff and from losing muscle strength. I still ice 3 to 4 times a day even though there is no apparent swelling. I'm off any heavy duty pain meds I occasionally take one Aleve if needed.
It's been a very long seven months. Two-stage revision, December 18, 2018, remove staph infected metal prosthesis insert antibiotic spacer with 2 rods. Three months in a immobilize knee brace, six weeks of antibiotic via PICC line. March 28, 2019, removed antibiotic spacer and rods replaced with a new prosthesis component. June 18, 2019 reconstruction of the LCL and revision linear spacer exchange. It's been a very long and tough road with many ups and downs in the last seven months.
In your life, you are going to face challenges, but you are not defined by those challenges. you are defined by the actions you take and the attitude you carry when you face your challenges head on. Through the good, the bad, and the ugly of my total knee replacement, I made it out of the trenches and I know you can too.
United States