TKR Right TKR November 7, 2016

I'm with you, @2helpme. There was no way I could run at 6 weeks. I was blessed to be able to walk without the walker at 6 weeks, much less run! We read that each knee is different and that's so true. We see it over and over again.
 
@sistersinhim ,

I am finding that I might not be in the shape I am now if I had not gone to therapy at 3 weeks out. They asked me leave my walker and start hsing my cane. They also reiterated that I was e behind with my therapy. With that said, I started using my cane more while at home, I am still paying for that too. My band is also getting tighter in the last few days.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's all about trial and error pacing yourself for quite a long time for most of us.
 
Every knee is different, as I said before. Pt shouldn't be telling you that you are behind. I used my walker as long as I felt wobbly. And that was up to six weeks. I also used the walker to decrease my extension by increasing my stride. I could hold on to the walker and march in place while holding on to it to increase my bend. I don't know why pt has to be so negative to so many patients. I find for myself that I do so much better with praise than being beaten down. When I hear that I'm doing good, I want to do that much better. When I am told I'm doing badly then I think, why bother. @2helpme, keep your chin up and listen to your knee. Only do what you have to do. This is so a slow recovery, not to mention a rollercoaster ride big time! One day you're good, the next you're not. Just take one day at a time. You probably won't see improvement daily, but will a little bit weekly. Just think where you were 2 months ago, then a month ago. Now, that's progress. And you will continue to see improvement for over a year! Just hang in there.
 
@ferddword I am not sure who these people are that are up and running at 6 weeks! I am like you. The band feeling comes and goes but is present more often that not, about 90% for me. I am supposed to have my other one done but I have to wait until this one feels like it belongs to me. LOL. Good luck to you and your continued progress.

No kidding. Who are those people? I just feel fortunate at 11 weeks I'm progressing as well as I am. I also need to do my left at some point. It's been achy quite a bit more lately since I've used it so much more during my recovery. Sometimes I think I should done them at same time to get it over with. I've never gotten any shots in it. Wonder if it would help for a couple years. I'd like to enjoy some time with my new knee before going back down.
 
I agree with you, @ferddword. I know my left will have to be done, too. But, I want the new one to be painfree before going under the knife again. I had shots in my knees through the years and they definitely helped for up to a year or so until the knee got too bad for the shots to work anymore. The last one in my new knee gave me only about a 25% improvement for about 2 weeks. A huge disappointment. If I were you, I would certainly try the shot for the old knee. Since you've never had one, I bet it'd work well for you.
 
I only had use of a walker when I was in hospital. Wasn't allowed one at home. Sticks only. 2 at first then down to one shortly after.
 
I agree with you, @ferddword. I know my left will have to be done, too. But, I want the new one to be painfree before going under the knife again. I had shots in my knees through the years and they definitely helped for up to a year or so until the knee got too bad for the shots to work anymore. The last one in my new knee gave me only about a 25% improvement for about 2 weeks. A huge disappointment. If I were you, I would certainly try the shot for the old knee. Since you've never had one, I bet it'd work well for you.

Appreciate the feedback. I have my 3 month followup this Wednesday and will discuss shots. Is there recovery time from the shots?
 
I only had use of a walker when I was in hospital. Wasn't allowed one at home. Sticks only. 2 at first then down to one shortly after.

I probably should have used my walker, crutches, or sticks longer to save my old knee more/longer. I think I shed everything by end of 2nd week.
 
My recovery from my cortisone shots was removing my band-aid later in the day. The shot was pain free for me. The last one in October helped for 3 weeks. Others may have some comments on the other types of injections.
 
My recovery from my cortisone shots was removing my band-aid later in the day. The shot was pain free for me. The last one in October helped for 3 weeks. Others may have some comments on the other types of injections.

Ok! Thats encouraging. I'm hoping to start playing a bit of golf after OS visit.
 
Now, my injections were very different. My knee would be very sore and tight the next day, then wonderful relief on the 2nd day. Definitely worth it! I used a walker for at least 4 weeks when I was out in public. Even now, when in a crowded situation I use a cane. Don't want to be knocked down!
 
Now, my injections were very different. My knee would be very sore and tight the next day, then wonderful relief on the 2nd day. Definitely worth it! I used a walker for at least 4 weeks when I was out in public. Even now, when in a crowded situation I use a cane. Don't want to be knocked down!

Ok. That's helpful. Either way, not too long before I should see if shots help
 
@ferddword
Funny, we had our surgery on the same date and we are even visiting our Dr's on the same dates. This will be my second visit since my surgery.

I know what you mean about wanting to wait until this knee feels like it belongs to you before you get the other one done. At the rate I am going I am going to have to wait st least a year. My left was done this time and it has weakened my right one a good it. I want to have it done but honey, it will have to wait a while.

I was also advised to stop using my walker when I started to going to my outside therapy. I now realize that was a huge mistake.

The cortisone shots helped me for about six to nine weeks. You might want to consider trying the hyaluronic gel shots people are getting made from the combs of roosters. They say it lasts a lot longer and is better if you are already bone on bone.

Check back in after your visit Wed. And let me know how it went. I will try to do the same. My Dr doesn't talk much and seems to always be in a hurray. I have printed out all the questions I need him to answer this time. If he can't answer them in person perhaps he can in an email. LOL

Good luck to you on Wed!
 
Hey Everyone,
I certainly hope someone will tell me these pins and needles I feel around my new knee with the tingling in my feet (sometimes)is all a part of the healing process! It is the third day now and it is becoming really annoying.
 
I had pins/needles in my heel, but not my knee. At about 3 months I started feeling zingers, sharp almost electric zaps in my knee that caused my leg to pop up. I figured it was the nerves reconnecting and that's exactly what it was.
 
@KarriB
Thank you for responding, now I know I am not certifiably crazy. LOL. I have had a few instances of some jerks or sudden twitches. How did your knee feel when this was happening to you? Was that band feeling present when it happened?
 
It was like a zap and my knee calf would actually pop up, as if it was hit with an imaginary "hammer" (I don't know the medical term for that tool). I often sat while teaching small reading groups and my students would get a "kick" out of my leg kicking out unexpectedly! I would yell out, but it wasn't as painful as it was surprising. I'm a reactor...:heehee:
 
I'm hoping to start playing a bit of golf after OS visit.
It may be a bit too soon for golf. That's because golfing imposes twisting movements on your knees when you swing - and you new knee isn't ready for that yet.
 
Hey Everyone,
I certainly hope someone will tell me these pins and needles I feel around my new knee with the tingling in my feet (sometimes)is all a part of the healing process! It is the third day now and it is becoming really annoying.
Hi @2helpme
I Know that Karri answered your question here, but it's much better if you ask questions about your recovery in your own recovery thread - that way, we don't run the risk of derailing someone else's recovery thread.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom