Right TKR at 50 on September 17th

Status
Not open for further replies.
My OS has requested I take Mulit vitamins from now until a month after surgery. Has anyone else been asked to do that? They state it helps prevent infection.....
 
Prevent infection?? That's odd, but no, haven't been asked to do that. The only thing I've been given to take is a coumadin pill the night before surgery.
 
Hey possum and Bionic Woman2 I am in my 50s with deep tiny rolling veins maybe there is a link between **** veins and crappier knees! Best of luck possum!
 
Janis- I do not know about why my veins are bad. One of my surgeon told me the more canulars you have the less they withstand. Mine are shocking
 
A friend gave me a huge amount of items yesterday to use after my surgery. A bedside table like you have in hospital. A Sheet raiser, a bed rail, a 4ww, a shower stool. So I guess that saves me a few dollars for hiring or buying outright. How cool was that, her partner was in a truck accident a few years ago and they were items he needed to recover. They'd been sitting in the shed and she thought I may benefit and save me some money when she has them anyway. :dancy:
 
Janis- I do not know about why my veins are bad. One of my surgeon told me the more canulars you have the less they withstand. Mine are shocking
What are canulars? My veins are so bad the American Red Cross told me not to bother donating blood!
 
Donna, Love your list! I'm going to pack two bags, one small one for the hospital, supposed to be there one night, but packing for two just in case. Then the other bag will be for when I'm transfered to the tranistional care unit. It's a differant hospital across town.

although I am the kind of friend that goes out of her way for everyone else, I tend to find I am alone when I need help. So rarely ask and so become super organised.
I'm very much like this, I am fortunate to have my husband, but he is very used to me doing most everything for him. (He does outside, I do inside) I have a really hard time asking for help, easier to do it myself! I've realized that in through this "journey" I have to let go of the reins.....and ask other people for help. There had so many offers, a man in my bible study offerred to come and vaccum (knowing my husband doesn't do it) My initial reaction is thanking him while thinking...."I'll never ask him". I don't know, it's going to be hard; when I offer to help someone, I mean it and am glad when they ask. Why can't I allow someone else the opportunity to bless me? I'm going to have to work on that.
 
One of the big things a lot of the bonesmarties have to learn is to let others help.
A multivitamin couldn't hurt for your general health which I suppose could increase your resistance to infection and aid your recovery overall.
 
kneeper- that is what the OS states in his paper work. I have been on the multi about 3 weeks now.
 
I started taking multivitamins before my BTKR six years ago, as requested by both my GP and my OS---I have been on them ever since. My GP likes the idea that I am on them and has not suggested that I eve get off of them.
 
Both the GP and the OS feel the multi are a good idea so I don't think it will hurt by adding them to my medication list.
 
Ok..... question 1) I have had pain in my left knee for the past month now constantly, driving me crazy as I get organised for the RTKR. Seriously I have more pain in the opposite knee then my pre op one at the moment.
I cannot seem to get relief so am I going out in sympathy or am I looking at another visit to the GP for a review of the other knee?

I had an arthroscopic surgery over 13 years ago and although it plays up every now and then and now it is constantly sore. More at the knee cap itself which is not where it was worn out originally.

2) Nerves are clicking in as it starts to get closer anxious to be so organised and then my oldest son brakes up from his partner and I had their two little children over the weekend. Stress I didn't need. The house was starting to be as I need it to be at the end of this surgery but the guys just trashed it.

It is going to take me all week to clean it up again. Depressed as due to pain as most of you know when you have a good day you try to do too much and the guys just do not care.

I am seriously thinking against my surgery as no one gives a damn here...... All this hard energy was looking good and in a 2 days span it has all been undone (having a cry here sorry everyone )
 
I was told to take iron as well as multi-vitamin. I'm guess the iron is because i have to donate 2 units of blood in case it's needed.

Possum - please try to put yourself first and move forward with surgery that will ease your pain. Sending good thoughts your way.
 
I am so sorry you have had such a rough weekend Donna! Just what you do not need during your run up to surgery...family crises! :tantrum: You have been very well organised, and I'm sure all that is there under the surface still! Customise your own little space...and let the guys do what they want with the rest of the house! Time to sort all that out later! You've got support from your friends....that one who gave you all the useful stuff! Like Vancouvergal says, time to put yourself first for a change! Hope you are feeling better tomorrow, our thoughts are with you! :console2:
 
Thank you. Ditzy Dina and VancouverUSA.

It is just a set back, my home will return to normal by Thursday. No' 2 son will return to the other side of Australia for his job in the mines and I will miss him heaps. The other son will go back to where he is suppose to live today but I fear he will be back wanting somewhere to live why he sorts out his break up.
 
I am actually driving him back to his home today as he left his car there. My gf and I are going to do some shopping I called her last night after I posted here and said lets have a day out before I go crazy. I know the house will come together again when everyone leaves me alone and I can focus on it.

DH is going away this weekend with his mates so I will have the house all to myself. I will use the time wisely.

I kind of feel the males here have no idea the stress I feel. The middle son just tells me your tuff Mum it is just another operation for you. I have never had a replacement though.

I have had a Ulna Carpel Ligament reconstruction in my right wrist (times three). I managed to survive.
I have had a Hysterectomy, I have had 2 heart attacks (one in January this year at work 2 weeks from turning 50) I have had part of my liver removed for idopathic granulomas and gall removed 28 years ago. My wound is 20cm long and wouldn't heal so I have keloid scar tissue so feel the knee will be the same.
Over come epilepsy 3 seizures in the middle of the night in the past 26 years. No reason for that and no family history.
3 c sections ( 3 son's)
Have broke my wrist, broke my right foot and heel.
An far too many other surgeries tied into some of the medical conditions above.

I have survived 2 heart attacks so I give thanks for God to give me another opportunity so I am sure he didn't save me not to chicken out on a new knee.
 
Hi Donna, You are sounding more positive which is great! Hang on in there! :friends: It's hard supporting your kids through a break up..it hurts you, you feel so bad for them.My youngest daughter has been through some tough times, but no children involved thank goodness. She is settled with a lovely guy now. Its only my oldest who has children, and she is very happy with her husband. They were just here this weekend. Two little grandsons of 21 months and two weeks! Delightful.... :dancy: My youngest, my son, has just started seeing someone. So, touch wood, my kids are all fine just now. Hope your No 2 son gets time off to come home and visit..I am sure the other side of Australia must be a long long ways away! I hope if your other son comes back home to live for a while, he can help take care of your during your convalescence!! :tada:
 
DH is going away this weekend with his mates so I will have the house all to myself
Mine has been away too! Been on a 4 day bike ride with 4 friends, Glasgow to Inverness puff puff!.... :bicycle1: It has been quiet without him, but it was nice to have some time to myself! Je is obviously enjoying himself, he rang me last night a little worse for wear! :beer: He is due home tomorrow while I am at work. Made jam, did some cooking for the freezer, sorted my bedroom out, and packed my bag for next week! One week today!

I kind of feel the males here have no idea the stress I feel. The middle son just tells me your tuff Mum
Yes I get that too! When I speak to husband of my anxieties, he just tells me I'm being negative!! :no-fin: and how strong I am.....well it would be nice to believe that... :snork: but I really have no idea how much this is going to impact upon me! It will be hard to feel strong when you are in pain! :groan: I hope saying that you are "tuff" is not just a get out for saying, we won't really need to look after you!

Wow you have really been through the mill, with all of your illnesses and injuries.....gives creedence to your boys idea of you being a tough cookie! Mum is invincible! If they can think that, then they do not have to worry about you, and worrying about you would feel too scary. They are just used to you always being there for them, they rely upon it. It's a compliment to you really. :angel:
 
Life has settled a little the last couple of days. I went out to dinner with my middle son last night. It was just the two of us and it was so lovely. He leaves tomorrow to go back to WA for work and he will be back in another month. I always miss him when he is away but we talk on the phone or through Facebook (every day).

I will have him at the plane early, it takes 3 planes to get him back to his destination.

I have been back to de-cluttering and got interrupted by the oldest son. It would be great not to be interrupted when I am in full swing and getting things sorted here.

Anyway no use complaining, I still have a few weeks so I guess I will bore you all by then. Just trying to keep my hands busy and my mind distracted.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom