Guest viewing is limited

THR Right Hip Replacement in CT

@kfenn, the forum advisors have told many of us to do heel-to-toe walking at first and I'm sure Layla or another advisor will tell you more about it. It's important to keep the cane or walker until you're not limping anymore. When you focus on heel-to-toe, it makes a huge difference with the gait. Constipation is common after surgery and more info will be supplied to you on different foods or supplements as well. Try to keep your get-up-and-go in check, there is an ODIC here, the "over did it club" but we don't want to see you there! Enjoy that smoothie!
 
The pain meds are backing things up. Please send your strategies and tips to remain regular.
I have been resting in bed otherwise. Can I rest too much?!
Usually I stay busy, this has been a change. The boys: 4, 5, and 7 want to know when Daddy can go back in the trampoline!
PT comes tomorrow. I am def stronger than Sat when she visited last.
No acrobatics or CrossFit moves for me this time. Going slow:sleeep:
 
Drink lots of water.
Here is an article on Constipation -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/constipation-and-stool-softeners.4899/
I've read Pumpkin Puree helps with Constipation. With Pumpkin Puree being the ONLY ingredient in the can.
You can sprinkle Cinnamon on it too.

Follow the guidelines in the Activity Progression for THR in regard to activity levels in the early weeks.
It should help keep you in check - https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

Personally, I will never jump on a trampoline. I'm 16 yrs older than you so therefore don't have young children, but I do have grandchildren. I want my implant to last my lifetime. I'm unwilling to do anything to jar it unnecessarily, or possibly cause a fall and dislocation. Maybe you're kidding? :heehee:

Happy Monday...hope it's a good one!
@kfenn
 
Here are some Constipation recipes a member once posted on the forum...if all else fails, maybe wifey can whip one up for you -

This is the "Bomb" recipe for anyone Brave (or Desperate) enough to use it.
  • one dose liquid milk of magnesia in an 8 oz. measuring cup
  • fill to 8 oz. mark with prune juice
  • Add 1 Tbsp. dark Karo syrup
  • Heat in microwave
  • Enjoy.
The Candy Apple
  • one dose of MoM in an 8 oz. measuring cup
  • fill to 8 oz. mark with apple juice
  • spoonful of brown sugar
  • Heat in microwave
  • Enjoy
Thoughts on the Bomb:
  • Beware starting this recipe if you've only purchased Cherry Flavored MoM
  • DH got "100% Prune Juice" as opposed to the store brand kind where (though it said 100% Prune Juice, the first ingredient was Water, which made DH deem if unacceptable) :bignono: The consistency of the PJ he got was very thick/syrupy.
  • I think the idea of the Karo was to sweeten the pot.... but with the cherry flavor and the Karo the resulting hot drink was sickeningly sweet and had the texture of hot beef gravy.
Thoughts on the Candy Apple:

  • I didn't make this, but if I were going to - I'd get the regular MoM
  • Buy the cheapest Apple Juice you can find...
  • I would error on the side of too little brown sugar, at least to start.
 
@kfenn, if you check out Layla's link for Activity Progression, you will see that you are definitely NOT resting too much. Get it while you can, your body needs it for sure!
 
@SE Florida
Wow, not exactly what I thought for activity after 2-3 weeks. Gonna be a quiet summer. June will be rest, We will see where July takes us. I have to study for the Real Estate exam, looks like this will be my opportunity.
At some point I will have to mow my lawn. :snow plough:
 
@kfenn, gee you couldn't ask for a better time to study for that especially since you're off the trampoline for awhile!! You'll be doing a little more week by week so no worries.......if this summer is quiet you can definitely make up for it next year!!!
 
@SE Florida
The trampoline is a blast! Esp when we all get in there bouncing off each other, plus a bunch of oversized bouncy balls!
Sounds like excellent PT in 7-8 weeks!!
 
@kfenn, Ok :shocked: ummmm, that might just put you back to square one in a hurry! Or maybe that's how you originally got to square one to start with! :rotfl:
 
@Layla
PT came today. She left a message with my wife; I didn't realize she was coming. I explained to her I was active going to the fridge and also down the hall today. I was still asked to do the exercises and reps written on the wksht. No adjustment? 10 reps is the magic number. :heehee:
 
I keep forgetting to chart how much i get up. I will attempt to do that tomorrow. I should have started yesterday(day3)
 
Would you mind sharing what exercises PT is requiring you do.
And list how many reps and how many times per day....so we can do our best to talk you out of them,
possibly, maybe, probably, lol.
Please share, we're all ears.
Hope you're having a good Tuesday so far.
@kfenn
 
The exercise worksheet is from Dr Murphy.
It calls for: foot flexion, quadriceps contraction, glute contraction, heel slides, laying leg adduction/abduction, bridges, seated leg extensions,
All exercises 10 reps, 3 sets
The exercise call for 3 times a day not 3 sets

Day 5. Activity for Monday/Tuesday
8pm 4 min walk to kids bedrooms
9:11-9:17 walk to kitchen for water, ice, and snack
10:00-10:20 bathroom
7am 4 mins to bathroom and kitchen for ice
7:10-7:25 shower
9:00-9:03 walk to kitchen
10:10-10:11 walk to livingroom for tv
12:15-12:25 walk to kitchen to get food

I have been using crutches as an aid.
I am comfortable standing on my own at this point, I do not do it often still.

When my wife had surgery on her shoulder, she was prescribed an oral corticosteroid. It helped her through some swelling and inflammation. I dont see steroids come up in the conversations about hip recovery.
Prednisone is used as an anti-inflammatory.
Would HGH be effective recovering from hip replacement surgery??
How about Testosterone?

Dr Murphy has no restrictions following surgery. It states you must be careful, and the expectation is crutches or walker for 6 weeks, or until released by PT or Dr at 6 week follow up.
 
It states you must be careful, and the expectation is crutchs or walker for 6 weeks, or until released by PT or dr at 6 week follow up.

That's reassuring to hear. I am starting to get self-conscious about my reliance on walker still. But I feel I have better walking form with it. Why train my body to limp?
 
:wave:Good Morning
In regard to exercise / PT, proceed with caution.
In case you haven't read through the Recovery Guidelines yet, following is the Big Tip -
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Please don't do Bridges. My colleague, Jaycey, often reminds members that Bridges are a core stability exercise and put a lot of pressure on your hip joint in an area where soft tissue and muscle was just traumatized.
I can't tell you the number of people who engage in these unnecessary exercises and end up suffering set-backs sometimes lasting weeks. Your body is injured, you just experienced "controlled" trauma. Your body needs to heal, not be put through workouts, you can save that for later when stronger and further along in the healing process. Think of it this way...if you sustained these injuries through a car accident, I'll bet the last thing you'd do is exercise your injured leg.

Please read the following articles -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/bonesmart-philosophy-for-sensible-post-op-therapy.37103/
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/saying-no-to-therapy-am-i-allowed-to.36688/

Study hard...your test will be this afternoon, :heehee:

Hope you have a good one!
@kfenn
 
@kfenn, thought I'd better pop in to see what trouble you are in to but all sounds good. I must say I really like Layla's analogy about the car accident; that makes perfect sense and I never thought about it that way! :idea:
 
The point about a car accident makes plenty of sense to me; Im good with not doing exercises that are going to slow up the rehab.
I have been way to active this morning. Went for a ride to get a donut, stood outside for 15 minutes, took a shower.
I have been resting since 12:30.
PT will be arriving at 3.
Swelling is way down, bandage and incision-site area look good.
Pain has been under control, and I am taking 5 mg oxycodone and 500 tylenol currently every 4-5 hours.
 
@Layla
What is typical for duration of taking pain meds? It has been 8 days. I feel like I am getting close with the Oxycodone, and moving to just Tylenol. I understand each one is different.
I went 6 and 7 hours between meds last night. Each time pain/uncomfortable ness crept up a bit to 6-7 on typical scale. Wouldn't want to sustain that level of pain.
@SE Florida
What do you think? I see you also had a second hip replaced recently.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom