Guest viewing is limited

THR Right Hip Replacement in CT

What is typical for duration of taking pain meds?
Some stop within days of surgery. Others need them for months. The sign you can start to wean off is when you start forgetting doses. Typically this is the midday dose. At only 8 days out - you still need to stay ahead of the pain. If lengthening the time between doses works that's great. But please don't get behind in your pain management. It is very hard to play "catchup" this early out.
 
I dont see steroids come up in the conversations about hip recovery.
Prednisone is used as an anti-inflammatory.
Would HGH be effective recovering from hip replacement surgery??
How about Testosterone?
I will tag @Josephine as she has had this discussion a few times but I don't remember on whose thread...regarding corticosteroids having a negative effect on calcium metabolism and bone regeneration.

There has been a LOT on the subject, mostly to do with titanium implants used in dentistry. You can google it.

You are just bound and determined to find a short cut, eh?:heehee:
Time is the best healer and ice is the best anti-inflammatory in my opinion.:ice:
And you have to mostly sit down to use ice so double good for you.:)
 
@kfenn, the post from Jaycey on the pain meds is really spot on.....we're all different with tolerance levels. I don't like taking pills anyway and my pain tolerance is high. There is no right way but my experience was: I was sent home with 60 pills of Oxycodone to be taken every 4 hours as needed for pain. I took one in a.m., noon and bedtime. If I felt breakthrough pain, I'd add one through the day. By my day 8, I was taking one in a.m. and one in p.m. and sometimes noon. I started "forgetting" dosages (no memory what day that started) and ended up taking just one at night. At my 4 week post op appt I still had 20 pills left. By that point, I started cutting my night dosage in half. I liked having it at night because it helped with sleep. And p.s. my experience wasn't absolute; if I needed one, I'd take it. It is bad to wait too long because then the suffering starts until the dosage kicks in. My filler with meds was Tylenol, which I used 4000 mg a day. Ice was my biggest thing, seems like I'm always harping on it when I post :heehee: but I used it constantly for almost 3 weeks and even once in a while now. I had ice packs all set in the freezer, had one on me all through the night and when I moved to the couch during the day. Awesome stuff, who knew? Ah, BoneSmart knew! Now I'm on Tylenol as needed. Sounds like you're doing good, keep it up!
 
Good Morning and a Happy Friday to you!
It was your one week anniversary already yesterday. It's nice to watch these early weeks click on by.

I'm sure you got the message from Jaycey's post on the meds. It really does vary from person to person.
The important thing is you're not in pain. In allowing it to reach 6-7...that seems a little high.
Check out the little visual below and you'll see what I mean. No wrinkled nose, raised upper lips and rapid breathing. You may scare your kids. :heehee:

I was off the Oxy very early on but did take Extra Strength Tylenol for a couple weeks.
Forum nurse, Josephine, recommends 1000 mg, 4x daily, not to exceed 4000 mg in any 24 hour period.
If you're taking anything else containing Acetaminophen, you need to factor in those amounts also to stay within the safe range of 4000 mg.

ICE like crazy! It's a little miracle worker. I iced every time I was sitting or laying down, which is often in the early days / weeks. It's free and it works well for pain and swelling. I'd fall asleep with an ice pack affixed to my leg and switch it out halfway through the night. Don't underestimate its effect.


[Bonesmart.org] Right Hip Replacement in CT


It sounds like you're doing well if you're thinking of dropping meds.
Keep up the good work and enjoy the weekend!
@kfenn
 
Gotcha! I will follow the pain med concepts detailed in your posts. The constipation has been a real issue. I am using stool softener and a laxative to minimal success. I will keep at it.

As far as ice goes, I certainly notice how it feels after a good ice session. I fell asleep with two packs on two spots for 2 hours. When i woke up I, could have done a 40 yd dash.

I think it is going well. The bandage is off, and the surgical looks great. Dr Murphy is a 'Super' approach guy. His reputation for this procedure is strong. I also have the fact that my leg was in the beginning stages of failure. Being my second hip, I knew the signs, and acted swiftly when the warning signs occurred. With the first hip, I hobbled and limped around for 2½ years before getting the surgery. The strength of that leg was compromised.

I also weight trained aggressively to prepare for this surgery. Right up to the last day before. I really should be in a position to have a successful recovery!

It did set in yesterday how long I have to not do anything; that was the first of those thoughts.

Projects are waiting. I talked myself into using this down time wisely.
 
Have wifey grab some Pumpkin Puree at the grocery store, unless the thought of it gags you? :shrug:
It's cheap and maybe it will help with the Constipation. If you decide to try it, remember that Pumpkin Puree has to be the only ingredient in the can. Could be a safe, cheap, easy fix.
OR, what about Smooth Move tea? That may be worth a try also.
Happy Friday! I hope you have a nice weekend.
@kfenn
 
I am taking 5 mg oxycodone and 500 tylenol currently every 4-5 hours.
Is there any acetaminophen in the oxycodone tablet? If there is, be careful you make allowances for it when calculating your daily safe dose which is 4,000mg. I know the FDA has ruled that 3,000mg acetaminophen is a safe maximum but that would be assuming that the patient is taking another medication that also contained it and thereby inadvertently take an overdose. Assuming that this is not the case, the maximum safe dosage per 24hrs 4,000mgs.
What is typical for duration of taking pain meds?
For as long as you need them!
I feel like I am getting close with the Oxycodone, and moving to just Tylenol.
That's good. But if you eventually transition to Tylenol only, make sure it's 1,000mg 4 times a day at 6hrly intervals.
The constipation has been a real issue.
Have you read this? Constipation and stool softeners
 
@kfenn, hope things are doing much better and you were able to have a good Father's Day. Give us an update when you're able, we'd love to know how you're doing!
 
@SE Florida
Father's Day was excellent, Thank you. We spent the day together; had a delicious dinner, then movie.
I have really turned the corner in my rehabilitation. No more narcotics! Tylenol at night, and in the morning.
Drove today, it went well. I also started walking short spans of 5-6 steps unassisted yesterday afternoon. I would guess most would find this premature. In my defense, As a physical educator, I have a strong understanding of locomotion and movement patterns. My movements are balanced, smaller scaled steps. I have not done much for other exercises. That philosophy comes from the info from this site. I Continue to ice, ice, and ice more. Sometimes 3 hours continuous from surgical site, IT band, Sartorius, front of hip; moving from spot to spot.
I continue to use crutches, sometimes one crutch, typically 2. My appetite is back, and my energy is slowly returning. I view any movement or time on my feet as exercise, I follow it with rest. Today after driving, I came home put ice on, and slept for 3 hours.
I have alot of good news the last few days, how ever I am trying to stay honest to the process. It is tempting to return back to regular activity sooner than later, but I hope to maintain a conservative approach to rehab. My pre-surgery workouts, seem to have been successful at preparing for this rehab.
 
Good Morning!
It sounds as though you're doing really well. I'm happy to read you're exercising control in your recovery rather than give in to any temptation to push it. You'll most likely benefit without any setbacks if you stay on that trajectory.
Two weeks already tomorrow! Time sure flies when we're having fun :heehee:
Hope today is a good one :)
@kfenn
 
Drove today, it went well. I also started walking short spans of 5-6 steps unassisted yesterday afternoon. I would guess most would find this premature. In my defense, As a physical educator, I have a strong understanding of locomotion and movement patterns.
@kfenn Quite the contrary, it sounds like you're doing really well and very in tune with your body and new hip. Very happy to hear your still resting and using the ice. Conservative is key as this is the point where some feel so good, they overdo their daily activities which can lead to days of pain and slowing of recovery. So keep up with the slow and steady; you're doing fantastic for your 2 week anniversary tomorrow!
 
After a long weekend, I managed to demonstrate some restraint. We celebrated my 6 year old son's Bday with 15 1st graders at our house on Saturday.
Ice continues to be an incredible anti-inflammatory, and pain reliever. I am continuing to take the blood thinner; prescribed for 2 more weeks. Tylenol has been as needed.
I start PT on Wednesday. I believe I am approaching the point where I can improve my range of motion through movement. Time will tell
I am starting to think this Dr did an exceptional reconstruct on my hip. Like many OS he has excellent credentials; however this procedure with this Dr is showing to be the right experience for me. Finger remain crossed, and I continue to do my best to follow his specific post op orders.
Best wishes to all enduring this process.
 
We celebrated my 6 year old son's Bday with 15 1st graders at our house on
:dubious: oh my stars!:yahoo:

I'm so happy you are doing well and were able to pull that off without Overdoing it!
Onward and upward @kfenn :tada:
 
Last edited:
Happy One Month Anniversary! :)
I hope all is well and you're been having a nice holiday weekend.
Leave an update next time you stop by.
We'd love to hear something good! :yes:
@kfenn
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom