Guest viewing is limited

Right Hip now Left Knee WEEEE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aha! Now I've found your thread! Posted earlier on @TeeEm's thread so now I've found both for future reference.
Funnily, my knee has totally collapsed. The hip was very very bad but I was still quite mobile. This knee has jus floored me. The two weeks now till surgery are a real waiting game as I can only hobble from couch to bed!
Thankfully, up until 3 weeks ago when it gave out, I was religiously at the gym and exercising 6 sessions a week. I am doing lots of calf raises and one legged squats on the good leg( the THR leg) to keep the quads strong but am limited to very tentative knee slides on the other. Have even thought of taking an endone( left over from the THR op) to enable me to exercise the knee pre op...don't think that would be a very good idea though!!
 
@Maeve Bless your heart!! Sounds like you will be glad to get it done!! My nerves have grabbed me already but I am gonna try to go into it with the same positive can do attitude as I did with the hip,at least here's hoping!!
 
@Maeve , @mystikfairy61

We are all set up in a row Oct 7, 8, 9. I will keep you company. You both know more about this than I do.


I may get nervousness later but right now I'm trusting God and knowing it will be what it will be. I have been doing a little exercise but not near as much as I probably should have. Leg lifts, presses and stationary bike for a little bit.
 
Welcome to the October Club @Island Girl !
We will all be so much better by the end of this. Exercise at the moment is impossible for me as the knee has totally collapsed. Hoping I can hobble on crutches until the op! Oh dear. Bring it on.
Being nervous just comes with the territory I think and it is only natural to be anxious in anticipation.
Being a confirmed agnostic I can't really rely on a God so will just have to put my faith in fate! Lol.
Whatever our beliefs are the human spirit will prevail I say! Good luck to you. I'll follow your posts with interest and anticipation!
 
Hi @mystikfairy61!
Thanks for the sympathetic post! We'll be so much better come November I say! My nervousness is sort of taking a backseat to the impatience I have at the moment!
I Must just focus now on getting organised and finding some positive mantras! Namaste as we say in yoga practice!
 
Hi @mystikfairy61 Ive been reading your hip thread. Another zumba freak -a girl after my own heart. I was doing two zumba classes back-to-back - one hour regular followed by one of gold, twice a week until about a month ago, but it was really starting to bother my knee, so Im just doing the gold now. I even went back to bootcamp in January, but could only manage that for about 6 weeks with the knee. . shame because it was great for my hip. Ive got a exercise bike, but forget to use it and its hit and miss if I do the quad exercises they give you. Im hoping my quads are still strong from what I've been doing up to now.
 
@TeeEm Oh I miss my zumba!! It was really getting to my knee as well so I understand that frustration!! OMG can we say NERVES!!!:scaredycat: Mine have been off the chart since I got the news Friday. I was in so much pain when I had the hip done that I practically danced :happydance:into the OR, was so ready to have it done. This time I am not in pain nearly as much or as often as with the hip, and guessing that just because I know this may pose a little harder as far as recovery, and feeling that it may be why I am more nervous. When I have a bad day when the knee really bothers me I know I am doing it when I should, but then when I have good days where it isn't bad, I question my own sanity, LOL!! Someone please tell me that this is a normal feeling and that all will be well. My 23 yr old even told me that she felt I was more nervous because of the pain I am sort of, well I guess, expecting with this surgery. Here's to hoping that I am wrong, and that all of my nervousness will prove unfounded and that my recovery will be as easy as my hip was!! :fingersx: :thumb:
 
@mystikfairy61 I know exactly where you are coming from . My hip deteriorated really badly in the month leading up to the surgery. I was in pure agony day and night - it was such a relief to get it done and I had very little post op pain. My knee has been a slow deterioration over a long time and the nagging type pain comes and goes, but I have 'discomfort' with every step I take. I don't want to get into the same state as I was with my hip, but Im too wondering if I could/should hold off a bit. This post-op pain that everyone says is worse than after having a hip has scared me. :shocked:
 
@mystikfairy61, @TeeEm I know exactly how both of you feel. I was in so much pain with my hip that I would have done anything to get rid of the pain. The knee pain wasn't as bad and I always had good days and bad days, stairs and getting out of chairs were a nightmare. I had the knee replaced 5 months after the hip and yes, the pain is worse than the hip, but as long as you take your meds and rest and elevate and ice. The ice is a big factor in helping the pain and swelling. The first 3 weeks are tough but it keeps getting better after that. I go on the 28th of October for the left knee and have been saying the same things as both of you are about whether or not I should be doing this, the pain isn't that bad and I can handle it, it is nothing like the hip pain. The left hip is starting to give me some trouble now but I opted to have the knee done first this time. To make matters even scarier I am doing the knee outpatient. Yikes, I hope I am not making a mistake. Keep positive and just remember to ice, medicate and elevate.
 
@fiberlady How is your op knee now 5 months post -op ? What is the knee outpatient ? Do you go home the same day ?. Amazing .
 
@TeeEm my knee was done 5 months after my hip and was done in May of 2013. By August of that year I went to a week long conference, walked around with my cane and felt great.

Yes out patient is just that you get the knee replaced and go home the same day. I just received news from my insurance company that they will not cover the facility that I am going to and so now I am looking at a new date and at a three day stay at a hospital. I think I am more relieved now. This outpatient thing was making me nervous, especially the being home part.
 
@fiberlady I must admit I wouldn't fancy going home the same day. Its a bit of a scary thought. You go home the next day here, providing you are ok and can do stairs ok, but the hospital is only 5 minutes down the road from me. Its like a never-ending story with joints isn't it ? Im glad that you are getting on great with the ones you've had sorted already.
 
@TeeEm my only problem is that the right leg is longer than the left and I have trouble walking longer distances without using a cane. I hope this will even me out a bit.
 
Ok changes have been made, even though I am not thrilled...My Oct 7th date has been postponed. Went on my chart for the hospital where I can check appts , labs etc and found that I have been rescheduled for Nov 18th. Well a 6 week and 3 day wait but that was what I was expecting initially since they told me that it would take 6-7 weeks to get me in. So off into waiting mode I go....hopefully the 3rd time will be a charm!!
 
Well we can do this together as mine has just been rescheduled for the 18th of November as well.
 
@MajorHeidi Thanks Claire!! I am doing good, was a little aggravated yesterday since it was the date it was supposed to have been, but it will happen in good time. I am just holding my own and getting things done that need it before the surgery. So all is well!! Love you!!
 
Went to see cardiologist yesterday. He redid the EKG which happened to be the same as the one I had done in Feb before my hip. However, with the changes that were present 2 weeks ago, he wanted to do a stress test, which was done today. It was good and I got the all clear for my surgery. :yahoo::yes!:
 
@mystikfairy61 Brilliant that you got the all clear. :yes!: Hopefully you will finally get it done now with no further delays and can get on and get your life back.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom