Right Hip now Left Knee WEEEE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a knee injection in May and it didn't help at all. I hope that you all get the relief you seek for your knee issues, believe me I understand. I got out and mowed my grass yesterday and boy did I pay for it last night. Was miserable all night long, not just the knee but the hip on that side as well, and the hip has been xrayed and it only has very minimal arthritis changes so I know it is the knee that made the hip hurt. I will do my best to keep you all posted after my surgery to let you know how things are going. Love you all!!
 
@mystikfairy61 My husband said the worse part for him was waking up and seeing his leg all bandaged up knowing that there was no turning back. He is very glad he had it done now. The second hardest was learning how to walk (the fear of standing up on an artificial joint) and making the leg work. He was walking the second day and did really well. He walks great now. Hasn't used a cane or anything for weeks. Those things passed quickly.
 
I did it in the reverse order. I had lTKR three years ago and LTHR six weeks ago. For me the knee was much tougher than the hip. More pain, stiffness and swelling. You can do it though! I had a knee manipulation (MUA) at the same time as my hip replaced so ended up rehabbing both at the same time.
 
@tiredwife Having already been thru the hip I am not worried about standing on the artficial joint, already been there and done that, LOL!! This is not the first time I have heard that the knee is harder to get over but I believe if I can somehow keep the positive attitude I had with the hip, that all will go okay. My pain prior to my hip was quite a bit worse than the knee is now but it still causes the hip on that side as well as the low back to hurt. I think just knowing that the pain will get better once it is taken care of is what helped me with the hip and hopefully will help with the knee as well. @kmgraxy Ouch, read about the MUA...hope that is something I don't need to take care of adhesions. You are just 3 months behind me with the hip, I had mine done Feb 18th. Hope all continues to go well for you, take care all!!
 
@mystikfairy61 Hubby went in to it with mainly cleanout surgeries, He said his most painful surgery was his achilles tendon surgery for spur and calcification. He was in a lot more pain with that than the knee surgery. I am sure you will do great. Having had one artificial joint you will be ahead of what he was.
 
@Josephine @Jaycey I have a question. I have been on HRT since last Nov with only Estradiol until last month. I started having spotting and was put on Provera and now have been having heavy bleeding with clots for 19 days at this time. I am wondering if something like this will cause my surgery to have to be postponed. I go back to the GYN on Tuesday and will ask him but I just wanted to run this past you guys. It really concerns me and I hate to have to postpone but will if I have to.
 
It very much depends what the cause of the bleeding is. I think this will need to be identified before they will consider another anaesthetic.
 
When I saw him on the 30th he seemed to think it was hormone related. I see him again on Tuesday and hoping I can get some answers since my pre-op is Wed.
 
Really hoping I get some answers from my Gyn tomorrow. Wed is my pre-op day and I don't want to have to deal with this female stuff along with knee surgery. Fingers crossed and prayers said!!
 
Well after going to the doctor and talking with them, I have decided to postpone my left knee surgery and try to get the other issue taken care of first. Don't want too many irons in the fire!! I just felt that this was the best way to deal with this. Found out that my uterus is enlarged and doc has put me on 10 mg of Provera for 7 days in hopes that the bleeding will lessen. He said there is a good chance I have fibroids but want to check things out to make sure it is nothing more than that. So I now have to try to find a GYN to get in to see and get this checked. Wish me luck and thanks for all the support!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@mystikfairy61 I'm just reading your thread for the first time. I guess it got brought back to the front of the line. I will tag @ConnieJOS who has had both hips replaced this year and also her knee, the same day I did. She should be able to give you a good idea of what to expect with hip vs. knee recovery.

As far as the enlarged uterus. I had that too. Horrible bleeding, clots, pain. I had fibroids and was given Provera which did absolutely nothing. Finally, in the end it was recommended I have a hysterectomy which showed I had adenomyosis and that was the cause of all my problems. It really can't be diagnosed until a hysterectomy is performed and the tissues are examined and biopsied. Good luck to you! Having that hysterectomy remains one of the best things that ever happened to me, LOL. It ended a lot of misery for me.
 
I hope this can be straightened out soon. I have the exact same issues as you had. I hadn't had a period in 18 months then wham, it hit me like a brick. Provera seems to be slowing things a bit and the main problem I have is my insurance won't be able to do anything about it til Nov. So I am in the wait and see mode right now. Thanks for easing my mind about it, Janet, I really do appreciate it. :console2:
 
Just a new update, I went back to OS yesterday and I will be back on the schedule for my LTKR in the next 6-7 weeks. I will post my new date in my signature once I get it.
 
Weird, I didn't get a notification from your 8/15 post but I did this one. Sorry about not replying. You're welcome! I hope this means you are feeling better now and the Provera is working for you. It's more than enough to have to put up with bad knees without dealing with all that other stuff.
 
Hey you!!!!! See your still busy with bone smart....poor thing with the knee....The new year coming will be a good one for you...Putting all this behind you...your strong...will be a piece of cake....yeah they say the knee is harder but I wonder???? You'll be fine....I just was hit with a flu and I'm dealing with dental implants....LOL so you see it just keeps on going right>>>>???? I really to just want this year to end...LOL...I think of you often and will be checking on you....I hope your new home is just wonderful....My hip is really good,,,I am greatful as I know are you....I mean if we didnt have this stuff to talk about...what would we talk about LOLLLLLLLLLLLLL...omgoodness keep in touch.....xoxoxoxoxox
 
Just read through your posts. I had my RTHR December 2012, five months later I had RTKR and am scheduled for the left knee on October 28th. Pain wise the knee was worse. I virtually had no pain with the hip. I had stopped taking pain meds 3 days after surgery. With the knee I was taking pain meds for at least 4 to 5 weeks out. However I found that it was easier to deal with the knee surgery than the hip as I was more mobile and could basically take care of myself. I was walking with a cane by the second week, climbing stairs almost immediately. With the hip I had to use a walker for four weeks and could not drive for five weeks. I had to have help with almost everything and was frustrated, as I did not want to have to depend on others to take care of me.

A positive attitude will definitely help in your recovery. Once I get the left knee done I will need to get the left hip replaced. Hope you get your surgery date soon.
 
Well here I am back today and you guys aren't going to believe this, I got a call and got a date for Oct 7th but a late time, 4pm, boy that will be interesting. I think it is God's way of saying ok lets get this done this time,LOL!! But one good thing, I won't have much time to sit and worry like I did with the hip. I am not in the same kind of pain as I was with the hip but I don't want to get to that level of disability but would rather just go ahead get it done and get the recovery behind me so I can back to living. I realize that once you lose the years waiting for it to get worse that that time can't be relived so I am just gonna go for it!! Wish me luck!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom