THR Right hip done, "Fred" is on board.

Freedom

graduate
Country
United States United States
Right hip done, Thursday morning. Anterior approach. I did this much sooner than the other 3 joint surgeries, and wow, recovery is much easier.

My blood pressure kept dropping, so I did 2 nights in hospital rather than 1. Moved to rehab Saturday (yesterday) afternoon. Just had my first shower post op, washed my hair, feels SO good! Dressed and ready for a nap.

I am peeing frequently as had a bolus in hospital, Hope that ends soon.

I am anemic again, same as with first hip. Did not happen with the knees. My insurance approved 5 nights. Depending on how I am doing, rehab can apply for more before I am sent home. I live alone with no support.

Only issue so far: rehab here is done in a nursing home. No ice allowed. A few residents left ice on and got frostbite so the law in my stare does not permit icing. Doc was in last night, he said it is wrong. May be able to get ice on Monday when regular staff returns.

@Freedom Welcome once again to the other side! Fingers crossed you get some ice soon. You know how well it works.

I'll leave your recovery guidelines here in case you need a refresher!
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Surprising about the icing. My surgery included an icing machine on me as soon as I got back to the room post op. Not direct ice but ice water pumped through a pad so no direct ice on skin. I could keep it on 24/7 if I wanted and I wanted it the first couple of weeks.

We get that for knees, not for hips. I have ice pack at home, once I progress.

Wow. Sounds pretty good really. I wish we had rehab facilities here. I was pushed out too soon I feel. Sink or swim. I'm lucky that I have an OH otherwise I just don't know what I'd have done.
My BP kept dropping too and I had awful sweats at the same time. I'd wake up to lots of the staff round the bed and being put on oxygen and having blood taken etc etc. Unsurprisingly, it left me feeling quite panicky.

Busy Monday. Social worker was in. The letter from my insurance company which approved 5 nights, that is all rehab, does not count hospital stay. So that is good.

Kitchen manager was in, working on my gluten-free meal plan, feel better after chatting with him.

And had about an hour with PT, so she can get a feel for where I am at. She said I will be here at least 1 week, possibly 2, depending on my insurance. I was so tired after meeting with her, I slept for 1.5 hours!

@Freedom good to hear they are fairly organised where you are staying. You won't need any aggressive PT so don't feel any pressure to "perform". Glad you got some sleep!

Sounds like an ideal set up though.

You won't need any aggressive PT so don't feel any pressure to "perform".

Yes, I am familiar with the Bonesmart.org position on this, and it has served me well. I have 2 steps to enter (and exit) my home, so that is all I focus on during my time here in rehab. Just now, I can't do them; not worried, that's why I am here.

For me, it is best to be here just now. Let someone else monitor meds, prepare and clean up meals, etc. While in rehab, I sleep, rest, and then take a nap. I let healing happen. And I let someone do for me. This works best for me.

While in rehab, I sleep, rest, and then take a nap. I let healing happen. And I let someone do for me. This works best for me

This is a great way to start your recovery. Sleep is beneficial to the healing process as our body does its best healing while we’re sleeping. It sounds like you’re doing well.

I hope they’re providing ice for you now. Maybe you can schmooze with one of your care-givers convincing them you’re conscientious / responsible when it comes to icing, through practice, and promise you won’t hurt yourself. :wink:
Hope your night is a peaceful one!
@Freedom

OK, may have a problem. Last BM was Wednesday about 6 PM. Surgery was Thursday morning. Been on colace and Metamucil since Friday. Sunday, doc added lactulose (green liquid). Been passing gas since Friday afternoon.

Did not eat much Thursday or Friday, as I was nauseous. Been eating OK since.

Urine was bright yellow, so hospital gave a bolus IV on Friday evening, 6 PM. I was peeing hourly till about midnight, then every 2 hours. But every time, I had to cough to empty bladder. Peeing finally slowed down to about normal today, Monday. Still have to cough a lot to empty.

Abdomen above belly button has a full feeling. Like I just finished a big holiday dinner. But supper was 4 hours back, and wasn't a big meal. I do not feel like I have to poop, no full feeling down below.

Should I ask for senokot in the morning? Or something else? I remember there are different products, some stimulate the muscles, But I don't remember which does what. Any other suggestions.

I am on oxycontin, 5 MG 3 times day as needed,, Tylenol 3, 3 tablets 325 MG, on schedule every 4 hours. Celebrex. And my regular meds Crestor, sertraline, and synthroid. Lisinopril was stopped as my BP kept dropping post op. I think I am on either Iron or a multivitamin, maybe both, as I was anemic post op. Oh, and 1 baby aspirin twice a day for 28 days post op to prevent clots.

Last edited:
Wow what a pharmacy you're on. I wonder if drug interactions could be having an effect on gut motility? Seriously, speak to staff today. This is fundamental stuff and must be addressed. Good luck.

:wave:Hello @Freedom
Definitely talk to your care team about this. Hopefully they can adjust meds, bringing you relief. Here is an article on Constipation from our BoneSmart Library -

Wishing you speedy relief and a good day! :)

I had lots of bowel rumbling for a couple of days. The nurses said that was a good sign. All absolutely fine as soon as I got home though. Strong coffee did the trick for me. Always does. Back on the weak tea now!!

Strong coffee did the trick for me

I’m able to depend on coffee also…as do many others, since this is a subject discussed often here.

This is cold comfort, but it took my dad eleven days after one of his hip replacements.

Can’t. Even. Imagine. Where’s the misery emoji? :groan::hairpulling: :gaah:

I have been sure to take coffee when it is on offer.

Still no ice yet. I raised that w Nurse Practitioner this morning, as I had w doctor on Saturday evening. She said he'd order it, so was surprised I still wasn't able to get it.

Met the Head of PTdept this morning. She is still trying to locate a leg lifter, and grabber/reacher for me to use while I am here. I have 2 of each at home. Would make getting dressed and in bed here easier, if I had them.

Just had lunch, time for a nap.

What about a belt from a robe, or any type of belt to substitute as a leg lifter until they find one?
Tell them to get you some ice or were coming for them.:fasthorse::hog::horseriding:
:heehee:

Sweet Dreams, hope your nap is a long peaceful one. :sleep:
@Freedom

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics