THR Rhonda k’s recovery

I actually worked with 2 canes in my transition with the second THR.. it helped me establish my sense of balance more than the walker did. Plus when ready, I would opt to only carry one of the canes, which happened quite seamlessly.

But like others have mentioned, there isn't any shame or problem with staying with your walker,, it all progresses with time, you own body's timeline.

Keep up the good healing!
 
Thanks Klassy once again……you are such a help to us all. Kinda funny how yesterday was my 18th day also and I was contemplating trying to upgrade my method of getting around too. Just had my shower, which depletes my energy still, so after I recoup I am going to give it a try. I’ll have my hubby at my side so shouldn’t be too scary, but we’ll see..
 
Thanks mojo. I spent last night reading through the whole thing. One thing is for sure I am doing much better than my first one. So makes me feel encouraged to see what I can do, carefully of course
 
I still user a walker when I travel from my bedroom to the bathroom at night, which makes me feel a bit safer. I use one crutch indoors until I start to get tired and find myself waddling from side to side. It's getting easier and I am sure it will be the same for you also...
 
I'm glad that idea of two canes helped! I rather enjoyed using 2 canes. It let me practice my gait and balancing when I wanted to do so.
:chuckmarch: All of us when we are cane/walker free!
 
I did just fine using cane:)……just a small thing but it’s huge for me. After reading through my first op seems like it was something like two months before I could do it. So I’m in awe ( haha). Last time and this time it’s the little things that bother me but it’s also the little things that make me happy. Feeling encouraged!
 
Great to hear you are doing well with the cane....
All Temporary, dear friend.:) :-) (:
 
Good morning all, saw my OS yesterday. He says everything is good. My incision is fine. Only thing is he wants to leave the staples in for almost another 2 weeks! Geez, that will make it one day short of 5 weeks. Just doesn’t make sense, some get them out at 10 days, then there’s me. I just know they’ll have to be dug out out by then…oh welllll…I walked all over the hospital and parking lot with just cane, so that’s good news. Body is saying hey, knock that off today :). Really just a little stiff and sore, so not too bad but I do feel it. Considering just a couple days ago I was still using walker I think that’s pretty good. Have been trying to stay off the Percocet, but then I can’t sleep. Have to figure that out. All in all things are good. Way better than my first. I can’t complain…..hope the same for everyone now or soon……
 
That’s sounding good Rhonda. It is strange about the staples, but the bloke who put them in must know best.
 
Just a small update…things are going pretty well. Only using cane now, but I still keep it handy. I think it will be awhile before I’m ready to let loose of the cane. Still painful to put full weight on that hip, so I won’t try to hurry it. Been able to do my PT ok. I just don’t push myself and the exercises I’ve been given aren’t bad. My hubby calls them “sissy” exercises. Haha. I tell him that’s what I like about them….Tomorrow is 4 weeks and the best part is I burn those TEDS! Can’t wait! Now if I could do the same with that abduction pillow, but seems like I’m stuck with that thing for weeks yet. Get staples out in one week. Hubby says about three of them are under the skin now. In another week they may all be. Yikes! Just kidding but it’s not gonna be too fun! Hope everyone is healing up and inching closer to leaving the pain behind. We have to do it one inch at a time and one day at a time. Not easy but we’re all here for each other and that helps.
 
:hi: @Rhonda K
Ditching those TEDS....:yes!:
Really did not like those things.:nah:
I don't suppose a call to the office regarding your concern for the stitches might bump up your appointment?

I sure feel like I got through my recovery easier with the support of my fellow Bonesmarties and I'm glad you are feeling more confident.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
 
Thanks for your thoughts, it’s definitely inch by inch and day by day here!

Hooray for the end of the TEDS!

I second Mojo’s suggestion about seeing if your staples might come out sooner. It does sound like it may be ouchy, though I hope not. Not wanting to worry you more, but I did find having mine out a bit of an ordeal. Though it was only a couple that hurt, most I didn’t feel at all. And 90% of the pain was during, it didn’t take long afterwards to feel better for having the staples gone. The nurse had me standing, but with hindsight it would have been better for me lying down ( which is how I finished up anyway). My suggestion would be to pre load with the strongest pain killers you have - or ask if they use anything, perhaps a surface anaesthetic spray. If they regularly leave staples in for this extended time, they maybe know that it doesn’t cause extra pain on removal, or they have ways to deal with it.
 
Thanks Mojo and Klassy…..I did protest to my OS last week about leaving those staples in for 5 weeks but did me no good. Tried my best to get sympathy from his nurse that scheduled the appointment too, but nope he had none….so guess I take a pain med and brace myself. I remember a few last time we’re under the skin. OUCH! But I had my husband peel off those TEDS this morning for the last time so that’s something! Inch by inch…..
 
Is it because your surgeon’s office can’t get you on the schedule, or he just wants the staples in that long?
If it’s the former, I wonder if he’d be okay with your Primary Care Physician removing the staples? Just a thought… I‘m sorry you have to endure this.
I hope you have a nice weekend!
@Rhonda K
 
Hi Layla…..it’s because he wants them in that long. Geesh I don’t get it. Such a big difference between surgeon’s thinking. Mine is a relatively young Dr. But very ”old school” when it comes to restrictions. Hope you have a nice weekend also.
 
I’m so sorry to hear about your staples. I have just under 2 weeks left with mine and I am anxious about getting them out. It will be at the three week mark that they come out. Five weeks sounds awful. :sad: I would be curious to hear your OS’s reasons.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom