Revision THR Revision of 7½ year old hip - post-op

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want so bad to stretch and do some yoga moves but I doubt that's safe.
Have PT show you light stretches. There are some you could start on now and then build up when you are fully healed. I would avoid yoga moves now though. Still a bit early for that.

It's all sounding good @Scott. That little mini-cycle sounds brilliant - and the fact you could also use it for arms, and use later while sitting at a desk or watching TV is money well spent.

Walking unassisted around the house with no problems.
Pretty impressive for 10 days post op :)

Re getting up after sitting, at eight weeks I am still a bit stiff and hobbly getting up (not painful as such) It's only momentary, and I soon get into my stride - so this may go on a while for you.

If I can't run I'll accept it and move on but I enjoy it so much I hate to totally abandon the idea. My days of Ironman and marathons are over, for sure, though.
Wise words - to accept and move on. The sense of acceptance only comes at the end of a long, long battle. Loss/grief accompanies this letting go of the 'old life' and the exhilaration that comes from something we loved to do - but on the other side of surgery, the massive increase in general wellbeing through lack of OS pain compensates very adequately! We can adjust to find other ways to keep our bodies fit.

Ooer, yoga moves - am sure that's what got me into trouble in the first place! Like your running, I would not give yoga up, despite continual and devastating repercussions. Towards the end (just before I had to give up even walking around my house!) my mind decreed a session of yoga was more important than actually being mobile for the following three weeks. Crazy thinking, but I was dogged. My old sports PT said he saw more injury from yoga than anything else.

Keep on track, you're doing so well!

Have PT show you light stretches. There are some you could start on now and then build up when you are fully healed. I would avoid yoga moves now though. Still a bit early for that.
Great point. I'm going to ask for sure. Don't know why I didn't think of it Monday. Agree on yoga. Too risky.

It's all sounding good @Scott. That little mini-cycle sounds brilliant - and the fact you could also use it for arms, and use later while sitting at a desk or watching TV is money well spent.

Pretty impressive for 10 days post op :)

Re getting up after sitting, at eight weeks I am still a bit stiff and hobbly getting up (not painful as such) It's only momentary, and I soon get into my stride - so this may go on a while for you.

Wise words - to accept and move on. The sense of acceptance only comes at the end of a long, long battle. Loss/grief accompanies this letting go of the 'old life' and the exhilaration that comes from something we loved to do - but on the other side of surgery, the massive increase in general wellbeing through lack of OS pain compensates very adequately! We can adjust to find other ways to keep our bodies fit.

Ooer, yoga moves - am sure that's what got me into trouble in the first place! Like your running, I would not give yoga up, despite continual and devastating repercussions. Towards the end (just before I had to give up even walking around my house!) my mind decreed a session of yoga was more important than actually being mobile for the following three weeks. Crazy thinking, but I was dogged. My old sports PT said he saw more injury from yoga than anything else.

Keep on track, you're doing so well!

Thank you! I'm definitely not that good at yoga but I find it great for balance and flexibility. I'm not so into the spiritual aspect. Actually, I prefer PiYo to pure yoga. I like having an expert guide me to limit injury like you mention.

Got out of the house for a few hours yesterday. I was feeling a bit cooped up but didn't realize how much until I actually got away from the house. It felt really good.

Continuing in-home PT plus doing the mini-cycle from a chair. Also taking the dog for a walk each day. Usually about 20 minutes and I use a crutch. Trying to do enough but not overdo.

Have some discomfort and pain while sitting, seemingly from the pressure of the weight being focused on my rear end. It's not sharp - more like an ache. Maybe a sign I'm doing too much or may be just normal healing. Will talk to my therapist tomorrow and hopefully get to talk to my doctor or at least his assistant this week.

Still really pleased with the progress but sometimes I get depressed for no reason. Wish I knew why but there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason.

A positive is I'm actually sleeping through the night. I can't remember when I last got a few good nights of sleep but I'm sleeping well almost every night. Feels so good.

Ah, fresh air and different surroundings! Nice to hear you're keeping a good balance with walks/rest/sleep :) @Scott. Just ride with those feelings of being low, they will pass I'm sure. Be very kind to yourself. The body is in the fine and subtle stages of healing, after going through a terrific shock (let's face it), and all that preceding incapacity.

I had the same thing. I am not normally a depressed person, but after having my hips replaced I struggled with it. I had to do a lot of crying. It did pass. Now that it's Holiday time it's creeping in again. I think a lot of us use exercise to numb emotional pain. When we can't work out so hard anymore, the negative feelings return back into the body. Exercise really does help to discharge negative energy and memories. I miss those endorphins I got after a hard dance class. It helps me to journal and to do creative things. (like knitting.)

I had the same thing. I am not normally a depressed person, but after having my hips replaced I struggled with it. I had to do a lot of crying. It did pass. Now that it's Holiday time it's creeping in again. I think a lot of us use exercise to numb emotional pain. When we can't work out so hard anymore, the negative feelings return back into the body. Exercise really does help to discharge negative energy and memories. I miss those endorphins I got after a hard dance class. It helps me to journal and to do creative things. (like knitting.)

I think the lack of intense exercise has contributed most to my mood swings. Even before surgery if I missed a couple days without a hard workout my wife would tell me to do something because I was turning into a bear :heehee:

Now it's worse because I can't do it at all. We are going through an extensive home remodel so I am able to channel some energy toward that but I still miss the workouts.

I did too much PT a couple days ago and am paying for it so have cut back and am resting. There is such a fine line for what is too much. Sigh.

I'm still sleeping great. Better than I can remember for many years. Sleeping mostly on my side with operated hip up. No pain while sleeping but the worst pain I feel is after getting out of bed. Once I'm up and around a bit I mostly feel pretty good.

Removed the incision dressing this week. Scar looks and feels much better than the previous times. Amazing the difference glue makes over staples.

Onward and upward!

I had right side THR in September and started inpatient rehab some 2wks ago. I did no exercise or PT for about 8wks post OP (apart from bit easy going on indoor bike) which made me kind of grumpy, since I am a very active person.

Now I enjoy my rehab and up to 3 hrs of daily physical activity (monitored by PT and unmonitored like indoor bike) with no or just minor aches... I slowly see strength and flexibility return.

It's a struggle compared to what I was able to do a year ago, before joint pain more or less disabled me to do anything but cycling, but the progress of the 2wks is reassuring.

Take your time and stay with sensible exercise. You won't miss a week or three of exercise if you've been fit before, but you might quite ruin your healing progress if you overdo it too early.

Sorry. I didn't see this response until today. I think doing too little exercise is much better than overdoing. There's plenty of time. I've noticed that my flexibility is improving lately, and my bilateral THR was a year and four months ago! All of a sudden, the straddle is widening. It's good to work very gradually. It sounds like you're going to have a real lifestyle change, so that this hip lasts. I find working with the hands helps. In my case, I knit and make soap...

Glad to hear that you are sleeping so well. Remember those days before the surgery, when it was so hard to sleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back