Hinged Joint Revision after 4 years of problems

Physio today and my rom has dropped back to 45 degrees. Becoming more frustrated by the minute and wondering what my next move should be? Any advice would be helpful.
 
Since what you're doing isn't working, you have nothing to lose by trying something different.

Try stopping all the exercises and PT for at least 2 weeks. Spend lots of time resting, icing and elevating your leg.
Just do a couple of heel slides now and then - not a lot, and only a couple of times a day.

Don't get trapped into thinking that working your knee harder will work - it won't.
 
@Celle thanks for your advice, I was seriously thinking about cancelling my physio session next week and cutting back on the exercise. Not sure my surgeon will approve so maybe I will compromise and stay away from physio for one week and see how it goes. No swelling or bruising left after MUA though still hitting a hard stop at 45 degrees.
 
@Craig1
It may take longer than a week's rest, because things don't happen fast.
I don't see that there's a need to tell your surgeon, unless he asks specifically.
 
@Celle you can be absolutely sure my surgeon will ask me! It will be about ten days until I go back to physio so I will do as you suggest until then. Thanks for your help.
 
@Clipless thank you very much for your input on @KameronSteele pages. I am going to give it a couple of weeks then I'll look at other options. I'm not keen to have further surgery however may consider seeing someone else as you suggest.
 
Hello everyone. I have tried to reply in my old thread however it is closed. Could someone help?
I had a revision tkr on my left knee on 10 November 2017. I manage to achieve same day discharge and all pain was very well controlled.
I am now four weeks out, still can’t put my full weight through my operated leg therefore still using crutches. Any ideas why this is would be appreciated. Thanks
 
Hi! Also had a revision, on Sept 3. Was 9 weeks before I was comfortable without a crutch... it takes time! The revision for me has been a slower recovery than the tkr but now feeling much better so just hang in there!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Craig1,
Welcome back!
At 4 weeks, you knee is still in the very angry tissue stage, and apparently does not like full wt bearing yet.
After my revision it was awhile before I could full wt bear consistently, 3+ months.

Having a new thread for your revision will generate more responses to your questions.

Here is your copy of our recovery guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds


We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
I have tried to reply in my old thread however it is closed. Could someone help?
Hi Craig. As you can see, I've not only opened your old thread but moved these posts into it. And I also changed the prefix!
 
@Josephine thank you very much for opening my old thread and changing my prefix. It has been interesting reading back at my slow rom. This time round I am already bending to 65 degrees and my knee feels so much easier. I am having difficulty putting my weight through my leg though and can’t even walk around the house without my crutches. This time round I have a rotating hinged prosthesis whatever that is?
 
Can I have my title changed to ‘Revision after four years of problems’ thank you. This morning I will have a visit to my physiotherapist to see how things are going. I’m lucky that she allows me to take things at my own pace. I hope she is happy with my progress to date though rom is only about 60 degrees.
 
I’ll be crossing my fingers for you to have a good visit. It sounds like you’re already pleased with your progress, which is a good thing. Positive thinking is an ingredient for a good recovery. :)
 
I hope she is happy with my progress
You don't have to please her. You are the only one you should worry about pleasing! Your therapist is your employee. She has to make you happy not the other way around!
 
This morning I will have a visit to my physiotherapist to see how things are going. I’m lucky that she allows me to take things at my own pace. I hope she is happy with my progress to date though rom is only about 60 degrees.
Craig, don't feel that you have to please your therapist. She works for you, not the other way round.
Whether you pay directly or through your taxes, you are paying her wages. You are the employer, the boss, and you set the rules.
If you tell her you want to takes things gently, at your own pace, she has to comply with your wishes.

This is your body and your knee and you are the only one who has the right to say what will happen to it. Other people can advise, but you have the right to choose whether or not to accept that advice.
CONSENT: what it means and how it can be used
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

Don't worry about ROM at this very early stage. Give your knee time to heal, and the ROM will come.
It's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.
 
Good morning. A very good visit to physiotherapy yesterday. Rom is 70 degrees and knee has healed beautifully. A few gentle exercises done, no pushing then Home to ice and elevate. Visit to orthopaedic surgeon next week then hopefully can enjoy Christmas. @Celle can you tell me how much movement I should be able to achieve with this rotating hinged prosthesis?
 
. @Celle can you tell me how much movement I should be able to achieve with this rotating hinged prosthesis?
I'm not exactly sure, so I'll ask @Josephine .

I think you should certainly get enough for your knee to be functional for most things.
Take it slowly at first, though. Don't expect to get to your knee's maximum ability quickly. Your poor knee has been through a lot of trauma. It needs rest and gentle treatment now, so it can heal.
 
You will be able to get full ROM, same as any other knee. Did you think it would be limited?
 
@Josephine thank you for your reply. No, I did not expect my ROM to be less due to the type of prosthesis. What I wanted to know was would my movement left and right be curtailed eg., crossing my legs? At five weeks out my ROM is hitting 70 degrees which I am happy with at this stage.
 
70* at a little over one month is great!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom