Hinged Joint Revision after 4 years of problems

MUA done yesterday, a week earlier than planned. Bent to 100 degrees. Was discharged yesterday evening with crutches and painkillers.
 
I'm glad the MUA went well. I hope you continue to get benefit from it.

You'll need to rest, elevate and ice for a while, because the MUA does cause some soft tissue damage.

Don't stress your knee by exercising madly. Just be gentle with the exercises.
 
@Celle thanks for your response. I have been icing and elevating today and doing not much more. When I stand up I have excruating pain at the top of my tibia, is this normal?
 
I'm not sure, because I haven't encountered anyone who had an MUA as late as yours. If it doesn't settle down with rest, ice and elevation and taking pain meds, perhaps you should contact your surgeon.

I'll ask @Josephine what she thinks.
 
When I stand up I have excruciating pain at the top of my tibia, is this normal?
It all depends where your adhesions were. If you look at this xray, I have marked out where adhesions can occur and when they are torn apart, obviously there will be pain

[Bonesmart.org] Revision after 4 years of problems
 
@Josephine thanks for your response and X ray of where adhesions can occur. The pain I am getting is in the inside of my leg at the top of my tibia and all the bruising is coming out in this area. When I am walking it's as if something is pulling?
 
Today has been a bad day with lots of pain. Can't get a straight leg raise nor can I attempt to straighten it from bent. Any advice out there?
 
It's still very early after your latest MUA. Give it a few more days of rest, ice, elevation and pain meds and see if it improves. If it doesn't, then contact your surgeon.

I think that in your signature you might have put the wrong date for your latest MUA. It was the end of October, not September, wasn't it?
 
@Celle yes I had put the wrong month in my signature, MUA was only two days ago. Thanks for pointing it out! I will see how it goes in the next few days, it's just a bit scary that I have all the pain down in the inside at the top of my tibia and I can only move my leg if I physically lift it with my arms..
 
The pain I am getting is in the inside of my leg at the top of my tibia and all the bruising is coming out in this area. When I am walking it's as if something is pulling
The site you are referring to is the area where the Pes Anserine is situated. This is a set of four fairly large muscles which come together into one very large and strong ligament. It's not uncommon to get pain there and was obviously the site of the adhesions which have been released during the MUA. Only time will resolve this pain for you - plus the usual rest, ice, elevate and pain meds"
 
Over two weeks since my MUA and all the swelling has gone down. I can't yet do a straight leg raise and my rom has went back to less than it was before my manipulation. It was measured at only 50 degrees yesterday and surgeon got it to 100 degrees in theatre. I am getting more worried about this by the day.
 
I am no expert, but if he got it to 100 degrees, the ROM is there. You have just got to rest and let it heal. Even though you can't see the swelling it is there, inside that knee. Just force yourself to take it easy. I know it is hard to be patient, and we all have well meaning friends and family telling us we have got to get moving to get better. But read these threads. The truth is there. Less is more. Especially in the beginning.
 
@Slainte thanks for your advice. I probably am expecting too much too soon but after two years my patience is wearing thin. This time I have had such a lot of pain and can't even move my heel off the bed. @Josephine My worry is that my rom will be even less than it was before the MUA, could this happen?
 
@Josephine sorry I did not make myself very clear. My rom before my MUA was 60 degrees and it has now fallen back to 50 degrees when it was measured a couple of days ago. I am worried that it won't go any further.
 
What exercises are you doing?

Can you describe it like these examples?

Exercises done at home: 3 sessions a day
Heel slides x10 (reps)
Strait leg raises x10
Steps x10

At PT
Squats x5 (reps) x2 (sets)
Wall slides x5 x2
Clamshells X5 x2
 
@Josephine I have only one Physio session a week



Exercises done at home: 3 sessions a day- I do three sessions per day

Heel slides x10 (reps) x3
Strait leg raises - cannot achieve a straight leg raise yet

Sit with leg dangling over edge of chair and try to let gravity help

At PT

Heel slides x10 in sets of three
Wall slides x 10 in sets of three
Lying on tummy with leg on three pillows pushing into it then trying to bend up x10
Leg over side of bed and gentle heel slides x10 in sets of three
 
Thanks for your reply, Craig

Exercises done at home: I do three sessions per day - I would recommend once as repetitive things like this just increase the swelling which in turn blocks your ROM

Heel slides x10 x3 - again, doing these excessively in 3 intensive sessions are not productive. Read this Heel slides and how to do them.
Straight leg raises - cannot achieve a straight leg raise yet - well, that's not the end of the world. They will come in time
Sit with leg dangling over edge of chair and try to let gravity help - do you mean like this?

[Bonesmart.org] Revision after 4 years of problems


if so, please don't do it when it hurts.

At PT
Heel slides x10 in sets of three - same comment as above
Wall slides x 10 in sets of three - do be careful with these, they can cause tendinitis and may not achieve anything
Lying on tummy with leg on three pillows pushing into it then trying to bend up x10 - okay but not so it hurts, okay?
Leg over side of bed - doing what? Same as above image?
Gentle heel slides x10 x3 - why are you doing two lots of heel slides? or is that just a typo?
 
@Josephine Once again thanks for your response. The second lot of heel slides are done Sitting with leg over the side of physio bed rather than sitting on the bed? Regarding sitting on chair letting gravity help I mean sitting on a chair high enough that my leg doesn't touch the floor and hoping that it will naturally bend. I am so worried that my rom is only 50 degrees.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom