Guest viewing is limited

THR Review after 1 year - is it necessary?

Hope the walk proved a nice outing for you and the pups, @Fiona444 early enough so the heat wasn't awful but still sunshine and fresh air breezes. Grandkids are gone today and I'm still dithering around in my bathrobe but hope to be up and dressed before noon! Hubby is off at the gym (so jealous...) but maybe when he returns he'll be willing to go out on a walk with me. Have a great Friday--and I totally agree, it is exciting and motivating to read postings from someone like you whose recovery has been steady and so positive--that is truly what we all want for ourselves so keep it up!
 
Nice update! @Fiona444
Another milestone...shaving legs without the contraption.
I hope you enjoyed your walk today in the Norfolk countryside. I'll bet it was lovely.
A fab weekend to you! :wave:
 
Hello all. A very quick update as internet in the holiday cottage is a bit flaky.
Before i came i was a bit worried about not having all my comforts around me like pillows and cushions on all my seats, bed set up with v shape pillows and additional pillows for raising legs and my trust raised toilet seat. Need not have worried though all is manageable and pretty comfy. It is extremely hot so getting up very early to walk mornings and then again in the evening when cooler. Beaches and dunes are gorgeous round here and it is wonderful to be by the sea and walk in the sand. We are averaging around 6-7 miles a day which is very doable and muscles are complying nicely. I was siting on one of those low picnic benches when I remembered something my surgeon said about people dislocating when using them :shocked: needless to say i was very careful about extracting myself :heehee:

I hope you are all having a lovely weekend
 
Okay, @Fiona444, I am officially EXHAUSTED to read that you're doing 6 - 7 miles a day, and it's still morning here in my neighborhood and I've barely finished my coffee. You are doing so fabulously, and I can envision in my mind's eye how gorgeous things must be at your holiday cottage. Glad you're comfortable and enjoying those early morning and evening walks when temperatures are cooler and pleasant. It all sounds wonderful. Have a great day.
 
@Fiona444 glad you're enjoying your holiday and everything seems to work for you at the cottage. Walking 6-7 miles a day tuckers me out just thinking about it! Hoping to get to a point where I can do that again one of these days!
 
@Fiona444
Hi, I was wondering if you walk the 7 miles continuously all at once? Do you have one of those step things, lol, that calculates your miles. Do you count walking around the yard, grocery shopping, around the house, all walking that you do for the day, or is it just the walking for exercise along the walking paths that you do 7 miles. I walk 2 miles now along the river path at once but don't count the rest of my walking. Should I be counting all my steps with a step thing, I might try one. I'm curious how many steps I actually walk a day, just counting everything? You are amazing....
 
Sounds lovely where you are and all that exercise so great. Happy that all is progressing so well for you and you have those two wonderful dogs with you. Have an amazing vacation.
 
Should I be counting all my steps with a step thing, I might try one. I'm curious how many steps I actually walk a day,
@Cecropia I was wondering the same thing about @Fiona444 too. I'm in awe of anything more than 2 or 3 miles!. But to answer your question above you would be astonished how many steps you do when you count everything, all the up and down stairs, shopping, etc. The only thing my step counting watch doesn't really reflect in terms of effort is when I'm gardening like today. Zonked but it was only 3000 steps! :groan:. Regardless of the accuracy it's been interesting just tracking my progress and setting little increasing targets for myself. I recommend them as long as you don't become a slave to the beast on your wrist. :rotfl:
 
Hello ladies! It has been a wonderful week. We are coming home tomorrow and i really feel as if i have enjoyed myself and not had to worry about my hip. Previously after walking any distance it was very difficult and painful to bend down after or during walks so picking up after my dogs or giving water was challenging. No more though!

In answer to your questions @Cecropia and @Calgal we have been doing 2 walks per day at 3-4 miles each. So early morning and early evening due to heat. I have been averaging around 18000-20000 steps per day. I measure using an apple watch to measure. In between the walks i have not done much at all as it was just too hot so mainly sitting around. The actual walking distances were also confirmed on a map as i like to be doubly sure :heehee:. I have been walking on some pretty uneven surfaces too eg sand, shingle and dunes so giving the hardware and muscles a good test. My dogs are exhausted today so we are not doing much other than a pub lunch and a gentle stroll along the beach. It has been great and now looking forward to coming home to some decent internet services :rofsign:

I hope you are all having a lovely day
 
:puppysmooze:. :puppysmooze:. That is your doggies thanking you for taking mercy on them today and just going to the pub for lunch!! :rotfl:. 20000 steps?!?! Geeze! You are a train, woman! :heehee:
 
I count all my steps @Cecropia on my fitbit. It would be too depressing otherwise especially in the early days and after my recent setback. I keep thinking they aren't 'proper' steps in a way but I feel I'm getting somewhere if I can average 5000 a day. It also buzzes if I'm sitting too long which is quite useful.
 
Hello
Wow I have just finished reading this thread. What an amazing recovery story. It’s so encouraging to read about walking! I love to walk. I am only day 9 post op and already impatient. I was aiming for 2000 steps a day but 1500 is enough at the moment. Muscles keep feeling a bit like they are going to cramp. I’m still on full meds and today the pain was a bit more. Lovely reading though and gives me great hope that I will one day be back to normal even though that seems a way off yet!
 
Hi @Dolphin777 i am glad you have found my account useful. At 9 days i too thought it would take much longer to see a benefit. The first 2 weeks i really did nothing other than stay in bed as pain was too bad. I also felt very guilty about it and thought i should be doing more. Luckily it transpired that was the best for me at the time and my body told me when I could do more. I bet you also will feel a difference at 2 weeks. I stayed on full meds for 3.5 weeks when they ran out :heehee: then just the odd paracetamol or ibuprofen. I hope your recovery continues well!

@bickypeg i too get stiff if sitting too long. Need to keep moving. I think any step is worth counting as it does keep the focus and inspiration going. Keep up the great work !
 
Until I can get back to the gym on a regular basis, I'm afraid my step count is pretty poor. I don't have a fitbit but do have another sort of fitness watch. I like the idea of a watch that not only tells me how many steps I'm walking but also buzzes when I've been sitting too long. I didn't realize fitbit did that...hmmm...may need to consider that. Your walking and the distances involved still impress me, @Fiona444 and I wish I were as disciplined as you were and enjoyed walking like you do. Your recovery has been very inspirational to me. Your keep moving mantra is one I should definitely be emulating more. I am doing well, but know I'm sitting too much and need to get up and move. Argh... But off to the gym this morning for a short, slow workout on the elliptical and we'll see how that goes. Onwards!
 
Oh @Barbaraj I really do know how easy it is to stay sitting and sometimes it does take all my willpower to move especially when the weather is rubbish or cold. I noticed that last week when working from home, I tended to move very little in the day and it did not do my hip much good. The stiffness comes back and the first few steps are very penguinesque. It is easier for me as I have dogs so the will I wont I scenario is kind of removed and that definitely helps. I hope you enjoy your gym session. I definitely recommend a fitbit or apple watch (I have apple) as it helps to focus the mind on how much we are actually moving.

Back from hols now and tomorrow will be clearing all the hip paraphernalia away. Crutches will go back, toilet seat in loft along with grabber and all the pillows can be stored. Cannot wait to get rid of it all now. My next task is to work more on my flexibility. It is not bad and I can reach the floor without golfers lift and can stand on a chair using my op leg but it is not yet as flexible as the other leg or strong. So going to wait to see surgeon next week and just make sure all is good and then start some stretching. Back to work in the office on Monday. Cannot say I am looking forward to that but needs must I guess. :groan:
 
Wow! Lots of goals this week! I've been doing the hip paraphernalia clearing too. Those toilet seat risers are now thoroughly cleaned and living back in their boxes in the loft. Although I must admit they were quite a bit more comfy than our trendy-shaped modern toilet seats are! Sorta sad to see them go, but nice to be able to close the lids again. It's supposedly better Feng shui but it also stops me dropping things into the water! :rotfl:. I've still got the crutches, one leaning in the corner of the hall and one in the backseat of the car just in case. Don't envy you having to get up at a fixed time and get yourself ready and off to work! So grateful I made the decision to retire early, 5 months before my THR. Now with the hard part behind me I'm looking forward to doing lots of fun things with hubby and pooch. :SUNsmile:

Have a great week getting back to real life! :yes!:
 
Oh @Calgal that is so funny about being able to shut the damn lid! Yes, I have nearly dropped my contact lenses down there ! Nightmare. Also I use the loo for sitting on when shaving my legs, will be nice not to sink into the pan :rofsign:I have semi retired and work 3 days per week now. It is a stressful job and I work long days on the 3 that I do but so much better than 5! Good job in retiring early.. Life really is too short to work all the hours. Your pooch is gorgeous. What is his/her name? I bet she (she looks like a she) will love her mum getting back into fun things :loveshwr:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom