Guest viewing is limited

Elbow Returning to BoneSmart

Hello BoneSmarties,
It's been over 6 weeks since my last update, so I thought I'd take a little time today to share what's been happening. The biggest change in my recuperation is that last Friday (November 15), I "graduated" from therapy. As you may recall, I've been working with an excellent team of Certified Hand Therapists for more than 7 months, starting just after surgery #1 in April and then resuming as soon as the cast was removed after surgery #2 in May. Friday's appointment happened to be my 60th visit (!), which according to the therapy team, is about 5 times as long as their typical treatment period. It wasn't a surprise taking a pause from therapy since I've been feeling for a few weeks that things were at a plateau regarding my ROM and other objective measures. I also discontinued using the Dyna-Splints on my fingers since they weren't doing much to help my fingers bend more fully. The therapists explained that although my hand and arm swelling is greatly improved, it is still there... and this means that there's a mechanical obstruction to bending my elbow further and increasing the flexion in my fingers. I'm hopeful that this swelling will continue to diminish in the months ahead.

Meanwhile, I've been doing my best each day to use my right hand and arm as much as possible. I'm driving short distances (under 10 miles) many days each week and even pushed myself to do a longer drive (about an hour each way) to join a group of high school friends for lunch. That longer distance driving was challenging and painful... of course I neglected to take Tylenol ahead of time to counteract the discomfort from holding the steering wheel for that long. However the good news is I've been able to avoid using Tylenol for weeks -- and after so many months of needing that pain management on a daily basis, this feels like a huge milestone.

I've had a few limited experiences of cooking, mostly preparing dishes with minor assistance from my husband. I made a big pot of soup (pasta fagioli, delicious!) and was able to chop the onions, garlic, and scallions by myself. Even though it took me a while to do this, I had a great sense of achievement making this recipe, particularly after months of being unable to do any food preparation at all. My intention is to continue taking "baby steps" in the kitchen and get back to making some of our favorite recipes. Although I cannot yet use any utensil with my right hand to bring food to my mouth, I can use a knife to cut soft foods safely. I sometimes will use a spoon in my right hand to serve food, but then go back to using a fork with my left hand to eat. I regularly rinse dishes and load the dishwasher, set the table, do small loads of laundry, help my husband change the linens, gather trash together, recycle mail, pay bills, and do small errands. It's very important for my mental health and emotional well being to participate as much as possible and not be resigned to the role of "patient" in any way.

Since my previous notes, things are pretty similar regarding depending on my left hand for hygiene and personal care. Eventually I'm hoping to be able to use both hands in the shower and to wash my hair. One helpful hint has been changing to a shampoo bar. It was obvious early on that attempting to open a shampoo bottle with one hand and find a way to use it wasn't going to work. I'm still 100% using my left hand for brushing my teeth and have switched to "gum soft-picks" (small disposable interdental brushes) as a substitute for flossing, since I can't hold dental floss with both hands. Happily at my last dental checkup, there was no addition plaque so this alternate plan seems to have a good outcome.

Overall I feel like my quality of life is very good, despite the challenges of living with assorted long term effects of a complex injury. My next checkup with the orthopedist is in mid-December. I'm eager to hear what he thinks about the progress that I've made and to find out his thoughts about how much further things may improve in the months ahead. While putting so much time and effort into rehabilitation over more than 6 months after my second surgery feels like a long period, the reality is that these complicated injuries sometimes continue to heal for a year or longer.

There's no comparison between any aspects of the recovery I went through with my knee replacement surgery in October 2018 and the overall impact on my life from pain, disability, and losing the function of my dominant hand/arm from these two surgeries. As part of my last evaluation from the Hand Therapy center, they were able to calculate that I am currently 52% disabled regarding the use of my right hand and arm. That's an enormous improvement from the immediate post-op period, when I was probably 95% disabled with that upper extremity! But I have to come to terms with the fact that there's still a very significant amount of disability involved, which makes life much more complicated. Although I'm grateful about how many more tasks I can do myself, there's also the reality that it takes me a lot longer to do them! In some instances (i.e., putting on socks), I could ask my husband to help me so the job is completed more efficiently. But I'm fiercely independent enough (and yes, a little bit stubborn about "doing it myself") that I rarely ask for his assistance.

So that's where things are with my story today! I'm looking forward to celebrating Thanksgiving (my favorite holiday) with our family of 5 and continuing to express my gratitude that things are not worse. I hope everyone reading these notes will be able to enjoy the holiday and be surrounded by joy throughout the season ahead!

My best wishes to all,
Nana

PS I'm attaching the easy and delicious recipe for Pasta Fagioli that's perfect for this season! My friend Barbara made this for me after surgery #2 and brought over the whole pot with about 3 quarts of soup. Naturally I asked her for the recipe and I've shared it with several people since then. The soup can be frozen also, but it's so good that at least in our house, there usually isn't enough leftover to freeze. I hope you will enjoy this too!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the update!

I think you're treading a good path, focusing on what you CAN do and hoping for helpful input from your ortho.

I assume you're keeping your hand well above your heart for good periods of time, and keeping it elevated on pillows at bedtime.

I LOVE pasta e fagioli and often make it. I look forward to seeing your friend's yummy version!!!
I wonder if you can copy and paste the text for the recipe? It's not a good idea to post a link that automatically downloads files to people's devices.
 
Last edited:
Here's the recipe, as requested!

Pasta Fagioli
(makes about 3 quarts)
​

3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (can adjust to taste)

2 cans cannellini beans, with fluid

¾ cup ditalini or elbow pasta

2 quarts vegetable broth

1 T. butter

3-4 chopped scallions

1 small onion, chopped

½ can tomato sauce (small can) - I used the whole can and it was great

½ c. parmesan cheese (or more to taste)

Olive oil for cooking
  • Sauté garlic, onion, and scallions in olive oil.
  • Add beans with liquid, add broth, tomato sauce, and butter.
  • Simmer 45 minutes, covered.
  • Add pasta and cook until tender.
  • Add cheese before serving.
  • Can also sprinkle more cheese on bowls when served.
  • If soup is too thick, can add more vegetable broth.
 
@NanaBeach
I also used canned canellini beans and ditalini - it's what I learned growing up in Brooklyn!
 
Your detailed description of what you’re able to do is actually pretty amazing to me. It’s an example of what to be thankful for rather than to focus on the challenges one still may have during a long recovery. I think you’re doing just great and congratulations to your hubby for helping make all this easier for you. Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy this special holiday. I’m going to try your soup recipe! It’s supposed to finally get colder here soon in Kansas City and by the time it does, I’ll be ready for a change from turkey and dressing, turkey sandwiches, and turkey soup.
 
@NanaBeach I am just now finding your thread here. Your injury and surgeries are different from mine but many of it sounds so similar.
I suffered a crush fracture of my L elbow about 27 years ago. It remains the most painful experience that I have endured! I was an "active girl" which resulted in many fractures, sutures and even a significant third degree burn to my upper chest/armpit area but none held a candle to that elbow.
The surgeons warned me that it would be painful, but oh my gosh!
I couldn't sleep well for many months.. my appetite was nil, too. My repair involved 4 surgeries in as many months as I healed, to remove a couple pins I'm not sure what else they were doing.
I had severe swelling in my hand too as well as the split cast, secured with ace bandages. My fingers were so bruised and purple! I can now honestly say that my elbow/arm rarely bother me now.
I returned to my fitness activities, etc. after about a year, if I recall correctly.
I have full extension and flexion, which means I can blow dry my hair and brush my teeth and put on eye makeup! The important things. ha!

Your hinged brace, that is interesting.. I wasn't given that for mine and was in that full cast for the entire 4 months. The instructions were to remove the cast for limited amounts of time, as I healed, then was given exercises to do in my home. Talk about Blood, sweat and tears!

Your progress sounds good.. I didn't have an injury to the radial head, just the olecranon process which also extended further up the ulna. So just the crazy surgical bar, wires and pins/screws which were all removed in the 4th surgery.
I hope you are continuing to improve.. I bet you are!
 
Hi Cricket,
Thanks so much for your reply to my post! You are the first person who has written about their experiences with similar surgeries, as well as the severity of symptoms related to all of that. It's very encouraging to read that your elbow and arm hardly bother you now, although I'm hopeful about getting to that point a lot sooner than in 27 years! :heehee: The one year anniversary of surgery #2 (when the elbow was actually repaired and all of the hardware was added) will be on May 8. If all goes as well as possible, I hope to be healing from surgery #3 at that point and enjoying improvements in the ROM, strength, and overall use of my dominant arm and hand.

I have an appointment this week with one of the fabulous Certified Hand Therapists (OT) that I worked with over a period of 7 months, starting briefly between surgeries #1 and #2, and then steadily for 6 months after surgery #2. She is going to do a new evaluation and measurements, which I'll bring to my elbow surgeon when I see him on March 5. Although I'm continuing to make progress, it is SO slow, especially as the 11-month-anniversary of my injury approaches in 3 days.

I am very curious to hear about your experience with surgery #4, which (if I am understanding things correctly) is when your surgical hardware was removed. Was the recovery from that surgery easier and less complex than the ones that happened earlier? Although obviously the Radial Head Replacement will be a lifetime companion, I am hopeful that removing the Internal Joint Stabilizer (wires, pins, screws, etc.) will lead to achieving a greater ROM with my elbow. At this point, I can still only bend the elbow about 90 degrees. That's not enough to allow me to do things like those "necessities" you mentioned! (i.e., blow dry hair, brush teeth, put on makeup, use a Q-tip, put on earring on that side, etc.)

When I last saw my surgeon in December, he was very pleased with my progress. However, he also casually mentioned that "the IJS is not FDA approved to be a permanent implant." I didn't appreciate the full impact of that comment until after I left the office, since I was so relieved about his enthusiastic reaction to the progress I'd made between my visit in September and the December appointment. However, now that I'm a couple of months past that surge of encouragement, I can't help but feel that it's time to get more answers about taking out the hardware.

I realize that all of this happened a long time ago for you... however, if there are any parts of the experience that you recall and can share with me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for sharing your own story! I look forward to hearing from you again. I'm attaching a photo of an x-ray from my September appointment, which clearly shows the Radial Head Replacement (some have described it as resembling a champagne cork) and the wires, screws, etc. from the Internal Joint Stabilizer - IJS).

All the best,
Nana
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Returning to BoneSmart
    Elbow hardware Sept 2024 image.webp
    73.3 KB · Views: 34
Wow, what a neat and tidy x-ray! I don’t know that we’ve had anyone on BoneSmart with this type of implant, so I’m going to be very interested in how things go for you. The Radial Head Replacement is especially interesting and looks like it would work very well for you. I can see why the other hardware would be better if removed at some point to give you more natural movement. Hopefully that won’t be too extensive a surgery for you.

I hope for the benefit of others (and me!) you can document the approach your therapist takes for recovery.

Thanks so much for your support of BoneSmart by joining the Insiders Club. We are a non-profit organization and all funds go toward our operational support and enables us to keep BoneSmart online for patients all over the world.
 
This is uncharted territory for me @NanaBeach so you'll be providing a valuable education for us while we do our best to provide support to you.
 
Thanks for your encouragement, Jamie and Janet. I sent an email to my surgeon asking if there was anything that I could read before my appointment with him on March 5. His comment to me was, "There's not much in terms of literature regarding routine removal other than it's what they formally recommend as per FDA guidelines. " This is a link to the article:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2589514123001652

I still haven't read through everything, but there are many references included to check out as well. Right now, I'm making mental notes (to be converted into a written list before my appointment) about questions to ask before planning any additional surgery. My husband and I have long-awaited plans for a cruise at the end of May, so I don't want to go forward with any procedure that has a long recuperation period that might interfere with travel. In addition (as you may recall from previous posts about my circumstances), a highlight of every year is the period between June 15 and September 15 when there are water aerobics classes every weekday morning (weather permitting) in the heated outdoor pool in our 55+ community. This summer will be my 9th year doing this and it's absolutely my favorite exercise! As a result, I don't want to have any surgery or recovery period that will affect being in the pool over those three months. Depending on what my surgeon has to say on March 5, I could envision either having the IJS removed at the end of March with a 6 week recovery period, or else waiting until late September and doing it then.

Obviously there are advantages and disadvantages of either time frame. While I would like to increase my elbow ROM and be better able to use my dominant hand, unfortunately there's no guarantee that either or both of those outcomes would follow this surgery. It's still challenging adapting to limitations with my dominant hand, even though things are SO MUCH better than they were even 3 months ago! I feel like I've been doing a good job with staying in a place of gratitude and also being patient during this very long recuperation. But I also wonder how much longer I can continue with both of those emotional challenges. We shall see!

I'll post something here about what happens at my appointment. Meanwhile, it felt great returning to my amazing hand therapists' office last week. I am going back in two days to review the results of my evaluation and begin working on a new series of exercises, which will probably be about 8 to 10 additional visits. Both of these therapists (OT, CHT) are incredible and I know how fortunate I am to be working with them.

Thanks again for your support and encouragement!
Nana
 
Thank you for the report link! We always appreciate scientific articles like this….and it’s recent too! Bonus!

It sounds promising for your recovery. It sounds like you have great medical support which is so important. I’ll look forward to any updates you can provide. We’re definitely here to help with the mental challenges when you need it. Since this is kind of new for us too, we’re learning right along with you.
 
Hi again @NanaBeach . I'm glad that you appreciated the sharing of my elbow recovery. It really was an ordeal that still remains very fresh in my mind. I was hoping it would help you to read that mine was pretty awful too and still had a full recovery!!
Back when I had the first surgery, the surgical nurse stopped into my room while I was still in the hospital and told me that there had been a big debate as to whether it was better to just fuse my arm!! I was super fit at that stage of my life and they decided to give the surgical repair a try since they figured I was up to the blood sweat and tears of the recovery period.. I would have insisted they go back in and unfuse it! I am still grateful to this day that they gave it a chance.
The 4th surgery was much less complex..it was only about 45 minutes where the first surgery was 3 hours.
I had a hiccup though and it might be something to inquire about. Apparently when they removed a screw some of my newly healing bone came out with the screw. The surgeon said it was like a chip fracture again.
It only took me about three weeks to feel better post op, though. It sounds worse than it was.

My therapy throughout was gentle.
Lots of wrist ROM exercises, actually. Then dangling my arm out of the cast , which began at around the 3 or 4 weeks period.. I was cleared for more strenuous around maybe 6 months? My surgeon said in essence, I had a small fracture in my elbow again but I couldn't afford to stay in a sling any longer so was told to continue with therapy on my own and not to force anything.
I can't recall the exact timelines but remember still being discouraged the following spring with my pain levels and limited ROM. My accident was June 21st and last surgery was late October. But around the full year anniversary of my last October surgery. I began thinking and fretting about my arm less and less plus had very little in limitations.

I recovered full extension and flexion.
I totally get that you don't want to miss out on the pool exercising.. I hope that works out for you. Its important for our recoveries.
I remember my surgeon telling me that the elbow doesn't do well with keeping the hardware in.
But that probably has changed with the new technology, too.

Our crush fractures sound somewhat similar but I didn't have the radial head fracture. Mine involved the olecranon and extended into my ulna bone. Your little implant is pretty amazing though!

If I can help in any other way, I'd be happy to share, but with so many years between our injury timelines, not sure much is relevant. Oh and just for the information of it.. my dad crushed his elbow in a freak harness racing accident. That was around 1968, I believe. They REMOVED fractured portion and maybe that involved fusing it too, which also involved detaching his triceps tendon.. He lost so much of his arm strength, so again, what a difference 30 years made for mine vs. his and just imagine how much better your surgery and recovery will be now!

For us, what a familial trait to have inherited! just kidding..
If I can find a photo of my xray I will add it here just so you can see the similarities or differences.
I look forward to any and all updates as you continue to recover..
 
I'm so glad the hand therapy is going well.

My husband had specialist hand OT decades ago following microsurgery and I was so impressed by their knowledge base and gentle slow approach.

You'll make the best decision for you once you've got more complete info - I have great faith in your judgement and self advocacy.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom