Guest viewing is limited

TKR Resistance is Futile

Sometime today when I wasn't paying attention an elephant moved in and has chosen my leg to sit on. Even when elevating and icing all day.

Anyone else experience this? Pain not to bad just lots of pressure


01/24/17 LTKR, then RTKR
 
That is what my shin and outside of my knee felt like at the beginning and for the first two weeks a lot. They said it is because of the swelling.


Right TKR 27 December 2016
 
Guess it's to be expected then. Just came on all of a sudden.

Weird sensations as I writing this.

Incision is really itching. Must be really starting to heal.


01/24/17 LTKR, then RTKR
 
Yep you are in that window where I was a few days ago, and I had a lot of pressure and pain in upper thigh and quad. And all types of spasms and zaps in knee and muscles. It will get better. A lot of that swelling has gone down dramatically in the past 3 days. Now my entire leg is yellow- healing bruising Im told.
 
Sometime today when I wasn't paying attention an elephant moved in and has chosen my leg to sit on. Even when elevating and icing all day.

Anyone else experience this? Pain not to bad just lots of pressure
Yes, it happens to most of us. Some people describe it as "log leg".

Keep up the good work with resting, elevating and icing, and don't forget to take those pain medications on schedule.
Take a little walk around the house now and then, to loosen the leg u p a bit, but you don't need to do a lot of exercises..
 
I'm sorry your in log leg days. Lots of ice and elevation. It sounds like your coping with the pain quite well. I'm impressed with your ability to cope with this surgery and recovery. Hopefully tomorrow some swelling will decrease. Is your calf swollen?
 
Yes, it happens to most of us. Some people describe it as "log leg"...

Perfect description "Log leg". The other thing is I've lost the ability to fire the hamstring and quad. As if my body is saying "I'll let you move when I'm ready".

OS nurse called my wife to see how I'm doing. Wife expressed her questions (same questions I've posted). Nurse said everything sounds normal for someone who has over done it. Told her to have me reduce activity.



01/24/17 LTKR, then RTKR
 
It's not unusual for it to take a while for your quads to start firing again. Mine took about 2 weeks.
 
@ Red's Mom- You gave my wife n I a good laugh with "log leg days". We must have needed that. A perfect description.
Should I expect the logs to take root and branch out!! :lol: Yes I am getting punchy.

As far as coping, the physical pain of surgery is still 10,000 fold better than the spiritual and emotional pain of addiction. Just have to "Let go and let God".


01/24/17 LTKR, then RTKR
 
12:00 am- last bathroom run of the day, time for Tylenol and tv show we watching is over. Leg elevated nicely and ice machine on .

1:35 am Sound asleep- sat straight up in recliner with a pain that felt like a major electrical shock. I been bit by 277 volt but this woke everyone including the pups in their kennel.

OUCH!!!!!! Real uncomfortable now. Going to head to my favorite wilderness area to see if I can get back to sleep.


01/24/17 LTKR, then RTKR
 
3:41 am- happened again. Electric jolt. This time pulled blanket off of foot and instant relief.

Gonna keep foot uncovered see what happens.


01/24/17 LTKR, then RTKR
 
Hello MG,

I just read your recovery thread for the first time. I'm a little ahead of you, as my TKR was on 12/19, but I've been through most of what you described (no groin swelling problem!). Totally understand the "electrical shocks" and found the same fix--no weight on the toes/foot. Absolutely can't stand to have the blanket on it! That's lasted a couple of weeks now, I think, but seems to be getting better. My ex-husband had diabetic neuropathy in his feet and couldn't stand the weight of even a sheet on them, so there is a definite nerve pain that can be caused by even slight pressure on the toes. As your nerve endings heal, that will dissipate.

It sounds like you're coming along very well. Congratulations on your addiction recovery, and especially being able to go thru this on Tylenol alone.
 
For the first month or two, I would get sharp stabbing/electrical type pains below my knee to the outside. It would make me shout out!!! It happened a few times a day then slowly lessened. I was told it was nerve pain, healing nerves, I think someone else on here called them "zingers". NOT fun...! But they do eventually go away!
 
We always called those electric like zaps, zingers. The OS said they were nerves reacting and reattaching. I even get them now, but no where near as severe. They just let me know they are there. Yours will calm down, too, after a while. As we've said so many times, it just takes lots and lots of time!
 
@LTKR4Xmas- found out also that taking the socks off helps a lot . I like bare foot better anyway. And The "Absolutely no weight " is key.

"Tylenol alone". There is more than Tylenol it's just not external chemicals.

@ lene'- NOT FUN at ALL. Especially when it wakes everyone else up.

@sisterinhim- "lots and lots of time". This is also a lesson for us AAA personalities to to learn and exercise patience.

Thank you all for your replies and experiences




01/24/17 LTKR, then RTKR
 
I couldn't have blankets on my surgical foot for several weeks, felt like a ton of bricks weighing it down. I had those zingers but think I am over them now at just over five weeks post op. Some went through whole body, and yes crying out was part of the after math. But for a few weeks not fun at all.


Right TKR 27 December 2016
 
3:30am New sensation/ pain , first knuckle of big toe feels like it has been severely jammed and bruised. Very sensitive to touch right on joint when wife tried to rub it out and hurts like @&!.. when bending/ curling. Can barely walk on it.

Anyone else get odd pains like this?


01/24/17 LTKR, then RTKR
 
I had that. Nothing to do with my TKR - turned out it was osteoarthritis of my toe joint. Podiatrist made an insole for me and, eventually, the pain went away. OA flare ups eh!! Grrr
 
It's strange how so many different things pop up after this surgery. Probably, you are walking differently than before and your toe is suffering from that. Are you back on anti-inflammatories? I had to go back on them as soon as I could because of the arthritis in other joints!
 
Wow, the toe thing sounds like it might be a gout flare! My husband has gout, has had it since his twenties, he gets it all over, not just in the toes..., that said, I also had muscle spasms for the first couple months too, had to get an RX for that as well. It helped!
 
Back
Top Bottom