THR Replacement on 22nd May<

I only do one exercise session. Only 5 repetitions each of lifting leg out sideways. Bending knee . Stepping backwards. Marching on spot. When sitting do at least 20 a day squeezing bum cheeks.
 
Hope answered correctly.
Well not exactly. I think you didn't read the questions correctly! But we got there. There may be more questions in red so please answer them


2. Pain right now is 3. Get stabbing in the scar area and continuous soreness in groin and coccyx.
Okay - more on this later
3. Paracetamol 2x 500 mg
Ah - but how often please?
4/5. Icing and elevating around 3 times a day for about 30 mins
You accomplish little or nothing in 30 minutes. Ice for at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day.
6. Activity Basic cooking. Pottering around home empty washing machine for example. Walk outside for at least an hour. Few trips. Painful adjusting to different chairs and take cushion with me. Very. Painful if stand still for more than a few minutes can walk with one crutch now.
Did you read this article? Activity progression for THRs. I think maybe you didn't as it sets out activity after surgery very clearly and I think you are overdoing it.
7. one session per day
Exercise raising knee x5
Lifting leg sideways x5
Lifting leg backwards x5
Slow marching on spot x5
squeezing bum cheeks x 20
And quite clearly you never read this which came with the articles

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

This, in my opinion, is why you are getting the pains you listed earlier. So stop them and cut back on your activity as per the article.
 
How are you doing @ckred ?
Hopefully you are feeling things improve especially if you chilled of of some of that PT.
Won't be long and you will hit 3 months out!
Month 4 was my biggest turnaround so I hope you are hanging in there with recovery!
 
Hi, thanks for thinking of me. One step forward two back I think. Stopped most exercise except walking. I am down to one stick since yesterday. Did a fair bit of walking but noticed that my scar went bright red by end of day. Don't know of that is a problem?

I can't fully weight bear on operated leg yet. Still swollen leg and foot. GP referring me to lymphedema clinic. Can't do up shows, sleep on either side or drive yet as can't lift leg from accelerator to brake or lean out to shut the door! feeling better mentally though. Hopefully I am improving although side is sore this morning.

How are you? Are you totally back to normal? I used to teach jive up till op. Can't see me ever jiving again!
 
I consider myself 95% great...which is fine with me if that's good.
Can still overdo if not careful.
I'm sorry this has been a slow journey for you..but sometimes this recovery just takes the time it takes.
Swelling is a little worrisome so glad GP is referring you to see what's up with that.
When have you seen OS last?
Did you get X-rays?
I sure do want to see you jiving again.
Keep the faith and please let us know what you find out.:friends:
 
3 months out and hope you are seeing improvement!
Really hope things are better!
Sending good mojo your way!:flwrysmile:
 
Hi Josephine, sorry, thought you were telling me off!

I am in much less pain now. Can nearly walk without aid but with a slight limp which gets less the more I walk. When I stand up I have to stand still for a while before I can get going. I drove yesterday. Still can't stand from chair without pushing up from it.

Saw physio first time for 4 weeks and they say my muscles need building up and will make me a gym appointment - not sure if I will go to that.

Generally feeling better in myself, thank you. Forgot to say, been referred to lymph clinic re swelling as feet and legs still bad
 
Last edited:
:hi: Glad you are feeling some better!
when I stand up I have to stand still for a while before i can get going.
I had same issue for several months...did a few stutter steps before things kicked in and wanted to go.
Still cant stand from chair without pushing up from chair.
Same. I had to get some strength back in my legs and it came with time and as I got more mobile.
Some gait training and simple exercises did help as I went to PT after few months.
I just had my boundaries set...didn't let them guilt me in to any aggressive exercising and no weights or bands.
That was just me.
Hope today is a good day @ckred :tada:
 
thanks for your support, i think my problems have been as much emotional as physical. Maybe grieving for lost body part, had some terrible dreams featuring disembodied hips! - feel mentally so much better now, and have some confidence to trust my new hip.
 
Oh my stars...that would shake you up.
Yes...do have confidence. Mine are better than my old ones.
We wouldn't want to keep a rotten tooth you know?
I'm glad you are working on acceptance because with some time and may be you will want to do some light PT...you will see this hips are going to get you back to a healthy life.
Wishing you all the best!
 
Hi. Things are getting better but although I can almost walk without support and only slight limp when I first stand up, I have to wait before I can move. Feels like the blood has to move around the legs. I still take a stick with me in case of uneven ground or in the dark.

I also have bad muscle pain in both thighs and knees. My hip only aches now and again. Other pains are new. Do I just have to keep at it to strengthen the muscles or is there a problem? I am over 3 months now luckily able to work from home.
 
Other pains are new.
What other pains? Show me where they are using this chart

[Bonesmart.org] Replacement on 22nd May<


I also have bad muscle pain in both thighs and knees. My hip only aches now and again.
Tell me, are you doing any form of exercising?
 
Hi. Mostly pain is when I first stand and first few steps in z R2B area on both legs back of both knees. Some occasional discomfort in TLtf andRR1B and coccyx. I am walking but not excessively. No more than half hour a day and pottering around the home. OT appointment once a week and involves walking forwards and sideways to improve gait. Nothing excessive. As I am working from home I try not to sit still for too long and move chairs often. Still have swollen leg and foot and have to see lymphatic clinic in December. Still using ice but not daily. Thank you.
 
@ckred Hopefully Josephine can give some insight.
I know it's getting old after 3 months but you might want to consider using the ice more when it really bothers you...guessing you do?
Hopeful things will get better soon!:console2:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom