THR Replacement on 22nd May<

Thanks I will try that. I was so pleased to get in the bed then completely deflated this morning!
 
Hi I've not seen shin pain mentioned elsewhere. I am getting around slowly on 2 crutches. I am week 4. I can get into the bed now and in and out if the car although neither elegantly. I am practicing one crutch indoors. I ice and elevate. Shin is worse than hip pain. Also toes on un-operated foot often are painful and a bit numb.
 
Hi. Can you reassure me at all. Week 5. Pain in hip socket hurting when walking. Don't think I have over done anything. Trying one crutch indoors very and walk like a toddler. 2 outside. Will I ever improve. Will I ever be able to sit on a low chair. Previously was a nice teacher I guess that's gone forever too as lots crossing legs over midline. Thank you.
 
Sorry just realised I said u was a nice teacher. Should have written jive dance teacher. Hope that makes more sense!
 
Hi @ckred. It feels discouraging to still have a lot of pain and difficulty walking. But as I read through your thread, I am wondering if you ever got pain meds adjusted properly. At five weeks, there is often still significant pain. While most people have backed off the opiate meds quite a bit after the first few weeks, there is still a need to keep consistent medication going well into the second month and longer. It's not clear to me as I read your thread what you have been taking, and what dose and frequency. If you could share that, it would help us know if under-medication is the main concern here.
 
Hi. I only have paracetamol 3 times a day. Asked go or more diazepam she wasn't keen but I have a few and take one in morning and night time. I had liquid morphine when came out of hospital that all gone now. Can't have ibuprofen type drugs as have hypertension. Thank you.
 
It's way too early to give up hope or have a realistic ability to assess how your recovery will work out - bear in mind that short term outcome is at 3 months, and long term out closer to a year! You've just gotten started! There are people here who've restarted yoga, swimming, dancing, canoeing, jogging (!), and marathon running (!!!!). You're young - don't say you're not or I'll take it personally! - and it's way too early to write off your future potential.

For now, @sharonslp is right - do what you can to minimize the pain. If it hurts, don't do it. And be aware the surgery and pain can lead to depression, which might be complicating how you feel at the moment.

We're here for you, @ckred.
 
Thanks for the reply. Sorry I am miserable. Work going on at me to see when I will be back. Neighbors telling me I should be back to normal by now and it all got on top of me. My husband has asperges - autism and can't cope with being the carer very easily. Lots of arguments going on. Sorry hopefully I will post again and say how wonderful things are soon. X
 
Thanks for replying, ckred. It does seem to me that under-medication may be at least part of what's going on for you now. I'm tagging @Josephine to respond to post #48, and see if she can advise you both on using paracetamol most effectively, and perhaps on other options you could consider now.
 
@ckred ,
Sounds like you might be undermedicated with paracetamol. You want to be taking the full daily dose of 4000 mg.
Josephine will be along to further address your pain concerns.
 
I'm sorry you are struggling and don't seem to have alot of support right now.
Try to be kind to yourself and know we are rooting for you!
It's going to get better.:console2:
 
After a few hours I had an incredible pain in the back of my heel of operated leg like it was on fire or had been bitten. Had to get up. What do you think caused that.
That would be a pressure sore. You need to have a small cushion under your ankles to raise your heels off the bed.


I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
Hi. Thank you.

1. Anterior

2. Pain right now is 3. Get stabbing in the scar area and continuous soreness in groin and coccyx.

3. Paracetamol 2td 500 mg

4/5. Icing and elevating around 3 times a day for about 30 mins

6. Activity Basic cooking. Pottering around home empty washing machine for example. Walk outside for at least an hour. Few trips. Painful adjusting to different chairs and take cushion with me. Very. Painful if stand still for more than a few minutes can walk with one crutch now.

7. one session per day
Exercise raising knee x5
Lifting leg sideways x5
Lifting leg backwards x5
Slow marching on spot x5
squeezing bum cheeks x 20

Hope answered correctly.
Thanks.
Cathy
 
Lifting leg sideways and backwards.

Backwards bending at knee or straight back?
I wouldn't swing leg backwards.
You lift your legs correctly when you just walk. You can do more probably by doing less.
Sure hope all this eases soon!
Jo will have good advice I'm certain.
 
Hi. Sorry misleading there stepping backwards and bending knee not at the same time. Really sore today as had two longish car rides and on my feet quite a lot last night. Did try a couple of steps without a crutch but felt socket sore said I was sinking into it. I appreciate all the help the forum gives.
 
Exercise raising knee. Lifting leg sideways and backwards. Slow marching on spot.
Hope answered correctly.
Actually not! I did ask this
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each​
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom