THR Relief after Removing Cerclage Cable

Hopefully we are both good to go now and that cable will never give you problems!
Me too...you are doing splendidly @BionicButt
Hip pain free definitely gives you a new outlook on life.
Thanks for sharing your story.
Continued Good Times:yahoo:
 
Last edited:
Great to hear you are back to enjoying some outdoor fun.
Hope the rest of your summer is sweet.:hiking:
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement @Mojo333! I just posted a new entry in my blog about my first major hikes of the season, and since my two hip replacements. It was awesome to be out again and have strong legs under me, though I continue to learn about staying within a healthy zone!

You can see the blog post at https://rhondaashurst.com.
 
Hey there Rhonda - I'm soooo happy to read how well you are doing. I looked at your recent camping trip photos and boy, what a GORGEOUS area to be able to explore! Your entire story is a motivator for me to not give up, keep chipping away at that mountain of progress . . . day after day!

Kim
NanaKP
 
Hello @BionicButt -- love your screen name! That is crazy about that Cerclage Cable.. and the photos of it,, aargh! Or course you had pain. I've been reading your blog. We love camping, too. Our fantasy is to retire and get a nice motor home and live in it, nomad style, for a few years. Ahh, what are we without our dreams??
But even camping in tents is fun for us. I think I'm almost ready to attempt some sort of camping soon myself. Hopefully in September.
Thank you for an inspirational read. :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks Ladies! I'm glad to be out on the trails again, but have had an interesting little set back over the last month since this post... About 10 days after my big hike, I started to have weird twinges in my groin and trochanter and to feel wobbly on my legs again, like I could walk right out of my hips. I was afraid something was wrong and almost called my surgeon to have them x-rayed. It was like a return to pre-THR symptoms and it was scary. I just took a week off to relax, rest, have massages, soak in epsom baths, do restorative yoga, swim and chill and that did the trick. All the weird stuff went away. I guess I just overdid it again, which I knew I was doing when I was on that hike. In the future, I will turn back when I can tell that a trail is too much. I guess I'm continuing my tendencies to do too much :). Wonder when I will ever learn that lesson??? I just posted an entry in more depth about the whole process on my blog: https://rhondaashurst.com.

I'm just so glad to be back again! After reading @NanaKP's posts, I wonder if I was also having an anniversary reaction? (My diagnosis was 2 years ago at this time of year and I was still having problems with that cerclage cable last year at this time while hiking.) I've also been helping friend's through replacement surgeries, which takes me back to how traumatic the whole experience is. Perhaps a bit of vicarious trauma also thrown in the mix...

I guess it is best to keep it in my Goldilocks Zone, remind myself that I'm doing well and rest when I need it!
 
Glad you're feeling better! If you ever figure out how to stop the visits to the ODIC please let us know!
I enjoy your blog.. love the camping stories :flwrysmile:
 
Happy Saturday @BionicButt
Good to hear your you're back to feeling normal. I'm sure you'll take it slow and easy for awhile.
Enjoy the hikes and remainder of Summer. :wave:
 
Oh dear @BionicButt - just catching up with your troubles. I'm glad to hear that everything has resolved. I do find it really interesting about the "Anniversary" pain. I didn't seem to have anything on the anniversary of the first hip replacement but it definitely all kicked in around the time I was really sliding downhill then discovered the GT fracture. I think it was the emotional trauma that I had been going through and didn't realize it at the time. Things really didn't seem to smooth out for that darned hip until after the new year. It still really pains me when I get up from sitting, standing, driving, etc. It takes me a few steps to even walk a normal pace (which really irritates me).

I do hope you're able to return to hiking soon and yes, definitely turn around or stop when you need to! I am already seeing signs of Fall beginning to seep in, I love Autumn but I could do without that white stuff and single digit temperatures that come afterwards!
 
Today is my 2-year anniversary of my last THR, so I thought it would be fun to post an update. Looking back on the last year, I was surprised by the continued improvements in strength, endurance, energy, balance and flexibility. I’d thought I’d see all my healing by the end of the first year. So, I wanted all of you to know that there can still be ongoing healing and changes for more than a year after a THR.

I can now hike 3-4 miles regularly with ease, without setbacks and increased soreness and stiffness afterwards. I’ve been able to hike regularly with Scott again (and keep up). I can do trails I haven’t done in years. My yoga poses, including one-legged balances, are back. My standing stamina has improved to the point where I no longer have to sit down to rest before finishing a task or conversation. My Tai Chi and Qigong flows naturally and easily and I am back to teaching again (check out Embodying the Light in the menu at the top of this blog). I have continued to swim, though I’m taking a break due to Covid-19 right now. Based on my experience during this break, I can tell I was swimming too much and not doing enough walking and yoga. When I return to the pool, I’ll keep it to 1-2 times a week for a better overall balance.

Some people have been curious about what my scars look like at this point, so I posted photos on my blog at: https://rhondaashurst.com/category/hip-adventures/.

People have asked me how I feel about my scars. I see them as a visible symbol of my journey from dysplasia to bionic buns that are strong and capable of carrying me easily through the rest of my life. They give me an opportunity to tell my story when people ask about them. I hope my experiences will be an inspiration to others who may be afraid of joint replacement surgery. It is truly a modern medical miracle that can restore your life, strength and vitality. I am so very grateful to be able to do everything I want to do with my body again!
 
Thanks for stopping by and posting! What an encouraging story for those of us behind you. Feels amazing to get you life back doesn't it?
 
Hi @BionicButt
So happy you left such an inspirational update!:dancy:
You are so right. Lots of improvement well over a year...and it's so great to know you are doing well
.
 
Hi there ... I'm about 5 years late to this party! @BionicButt, I haven't read your cerclage wire blog yet but will do so. I had a THR on my right side in Aug 2019. My femur suffered a slight fracture in the process and so the surgeon wired the bone. I had a difficult recovery, in part I'm sure because of the fracture (tho the surgeon said it shouldn't impact my recovery) and in part - I believe - because of the wire. For well over a year, I had bursitis - which I never had prior to the surgery, and a painful iliopsoas tendon (groin area) which prevented me from lifting my leg comfortably. Putting on socks, crossing my legs, getting in the car all required that I physically lift up my leg with my arms! I also could not do the one leg standing balance yoga pose, same as you! It felt like my leg would break and collapse if I tried to raise the other leg too much.

I saw PT's, acupunturists, I rested, I stretched, I tried everything. I went to HSS in NYC and the hip specialist suggested I have surgery to separate the iliopsoas tendon from the hip joint. Another surgeon also suggested the same. They said that while they couldn't see it in imaging, perhaps the tendon was being irritated by the new cup. Big problem though: if I did the surgery, I would trade pain for weakness. Which I already had and did not want more! So I decided to try one thing I hadn't tried - water therapy. First I started swimming, then I started Aqua Fit classes. It took awhile, but the iliopsoas pain subsided significantly. In the water, I was able to work and build strength in weakened areas in a way that i was unable to do on land. Even though there was much improvement in the iliopsoas, I still - 5 yrs later - am having issues that make it difficult to turn in bed, get up off the floor, lift and raise my leg sideways (such as standing sideways by a picnic table and trying to left the leg over the bench to sit). I also still feel discomfort in the actual joint sometimes when I walk and cannot do that standing leg pose.

So in my mind, I have to at least consider that it's the wire causing the problems. My left hip is now ready for a replacement surgery, and my surgeon is going to remove the wire from my right replacement at the same time.
I am hoping and praying that I have the same outcome that you described. I literally started crying when I read how much you improved afterwards!! It would be a dream for me to be rid of this discomfort and the limitations it is imposing on me. I'm hoping to have the surgery this April. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It has given me great hope!!
 
Last edited:
Hi, @Marls00 …. It’s nice to see you back on BoneSmart, although I’m sorry to hear you are facing surgery again in April. We’re definitely here to help if you need anything as you prepare for your left hip replacement.

You may not have seen our recent emails, but this past January we implemented a new 2-tier membership program - Basic Member and Insiders Club - that may change the way you interact on the forum. You are currently a Basic Member and can use our search tools to find threads (like you did with this one) that interest you and read them. You can also make on-topic posts like you did here on existing threads (including your old hip recovery thread if you have updates on that hip).

But things related to your upcoming hip replacement like asking questions, addressing concerns, journaling your 2nd hip recovery, reading detailed articles in our BoneSmart Library, and getting one-on-one personal guidance from our experienced staff are now premium services available only to our Insiders Club members. We offer several options for the Insiders Club and I hope one of them will suit your needs. I suggest you take a look at our Guidelines for Posting and Membership Page to get more details. Please send me a Direct Message (DM) if you have any questions. I’m happy to explain how the forum works now.

Just a note about your post on Bionic Butt’s thread. It’s a beautiful post that touched my heart. I pray you get the relief you are looking for on your right hip. However, since Bionic Butt has not been on the forum for 5 years, I’m afraid she won’t see your post and respond. I don’t think you were actually looking for a response, but I just wanted to let you know this.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom