THR Relief after Removing Cerclage Cable

I'm happy to report my nasty cerclage cable is gone! And I'm back to myself again! What an easy surgery this was compared to the THR's. Wish I'd done it sooner... I had it removed on October 31st and now, 11 days later, I have my right leg and my life back.

For those of you with bothersome cerclage cables, you can read the whole story, complete with photos and video on my blog: https://rhondaashurst.com.

I'm going to copy my latest entry here, since it has the important info. for all you BoneSmarties!

Changes I’m Noticing After Removal of the Cerclage Cable

Before I forget, as my body returns to normal, I want to make sure I note some of the changes I’m observing now that I have my right leg back under me:
  • When I wake up in the mornings, I no longer have the achy, arthritic stiffness I’ve grown accustomed to. I thought I’d have to live with that for the rest of my life. Since my right hip replacement, I’ve felt like I was 80+ when I got out of bed in the morning. I did 30 minutes of Qigong and Tai Chi to be able to move and dissipate the pain. Now I don’t have pain anymore. (I even removed the ever-present bottle of ibuprofen from my night stand!) The really odd thing is that pain affected most of my body: legs, glutes, back, shoulders, neck. Now it is suddenly gone and I feel my old self again! Could it be possible that my whole body was reacting to that cable? Maybe it was just a lot of muscular contraction and holding of tension? I don’t know, but it’s a very welcome relief!
  • The soreness from the surgery is already mostly gone. I actually have less pain now than I before the surgery! It’s Day 5 and I can hardly tell it ever happened.
  • I can do lunges and squats, and hinge from my hips. The pain which caused me to favor the right side and shift my weight to the left, is gone. As a result, I am much more balanced and stable when doing these movements. As of Day 5, I can squat all the way down to the floor, sit on my heels, and come back up. I would have screamed doing this before the surgery, or collapsed on the floor.
  • Because of the increased balanced stability in my legs, when I bend down to pick something up, the familiar twinge going up the right side of my back (QL) is gone. I no longer fear throwing my back into spasm every time I reach for the floor. I didn’t realize the contortions I was going through trying to avoid engaging the right leg and hitting the cable. As a result, my back is looser and I feel much more confident using it. I can effortlessly touch my palms on the floor again.
  • This morning, I reached over the right arm of my recliner for something on the floor. I didn’t even think about it. I could never do this without a lot of pain before, so I avoided it. This motion requires me to shift my weight onto the outside edge of my right thigh and it always caused so much pain once my flesh hit the sharp edge of the cable that I stopped. I’d get out of the chair and bend over my left leg instead.
  • I can lift my leg to put on and pull off pants without needing additional support. I trust my balance and can control the right leg.
  • It is much easier to get up from a sitting position.
  • I can tighten my glutes and not feel an aching pain in my right hip and outer thigh.
  • I vacuumed yesterday and caught myself extending the right leg and pushing from there. I’ve been doing left-leg-leading vacuuming for probably 2 years!
  • I’ve stopped continuously massaging the outside of my right thigh.
  • I am no longer constantly aware of having a foreign object in my leg. Now both my implants feel like an integral part of my body and I cannot even tell they are there. It was like this on my left side by about 6-weeks. But the right has always bothered me until now.
  • From my first walk on Day 4: My full, even stride is back! I can walk uphill and step up stairs and onto rocks without pain and with confidence. I was able to lift my leg over a fence, which I couldn’t do before. Uneven ground is no longer a scary negotiation. Hey, maybe I won’t need to always use hiking poles on a trail! My back isn’t stiff and my legs don’t ache when I get home.
  • From my second walk on Day 5: I expected to be sore, because I did a lot yesterday! I was having too much fun exploring what I could do! I figured I’d pay for it today, which is what usually happens, but instead I am only a little sore. I was able to come back home and do some yoga without feeling wobbly on my legs and having a tight back and achy legs.
  • I can do belly dance moves which have been impossible since the replacement, these moves require me to shift all my weight onto the right leg and engage the gluteus medius. For example, I can now do hip drops, figure 8’s and the 3/4 shimmy. I can also push the right hip out to the right side, as if I were bumping a car door closed, and not get bit by the cable. I might actually dance again! This is one of the great joys of my life and I realize I haven’t even put the music on to tempt me, because I simply couldn’t do it without a lot of pain and awkwardness.
  • I can do the high kick in Tai Chi 24-short form and control, extend and straighten the leg. In Snake Creeps Through Grass, I can step onto the right leg (which is extended out in a lunge) and pull the rest of my body and my left leg up to join it. Before I had to sort of hop my left leg up, using it more than my weakened right leg.
  • From the yoga mat: Poses that engage the right leg no longer hurt, e.g. Warrior I and II. I still can’t do Warrior III or Dancer, which require full extension over the right leg, while extending the left leg back. But, I am finally able to begin tentatively shifting weight onto the right leg and extending the left leg back while leaning forward. I was totally unable to do this before. While lying on my left side, I can lift, circle and hold the right leg with control and without pain which I have not been able to do, particularly holding the leg up and forward while scissoring my left leg up to meet it. I can do a supine twist to the left without the catch in my right side and back. All poses which open the right side are easier and my range of motion is back. It honestly felt like my whole right side froze up every time I asked the muscles to stretch over and rake that cable. And I can certainly see why! It was like pulling them over a piece of barbed wire. I’d say that most of my practice (and daily life) has been affected by the cable and my body struggling to work around it and avoid pain.
Last night I realized I’ve been depressed. I feel like my life has been on pause and now I’m back! Scott told me last night that he can tell I’m happy again. I feel so sad for him–he’s had to live with my pain, disability and depression all this time. I’m sure he felt like he’d lost his partner, and he did.

Scott and I were trying to pinpoint when the depression started. He thought it was two years ago. That’s when I started aggressively working with physical therapists and body workers in a vain attempt to heal my hip pain. This, of course, only aggravated my condition and increased my pain and disability. Then, I was diagnosed with dysplasia in July, 2017. My right hip was replaced in September, 2017 and the cable was installed to support my femur. It took me 3 months to walk without a limp and walking was never easy or pleasurable again. Then my left hip went and it was replaced in May, 2018. No cable was required. I could walk without aids in 4 days and had no limp within 2 weeks. It was then that I knew my problems on the right were caused by the cable and it had to go. Turns out, it was true!

But it wasn’t just the leg that was affected. Now it seems my whole body was affected with all the aches and pains I suddenly had. And I was depressed. Life had lost its luster. I no longer had the strong body I’d always counted on. Now I feel like my old self again on all levels. I’m 40 instead of 80!

There is no way to express how wonderful it feels to be able to do all the things I love to do with my body without pain. I am indebted to the miracles of modern medicine which have allowed me to walk again, and to my awesome surgeon, Dr. Shukla and his equally awesome assistant, Davis. They are truly masters of minimally invasive hip replacement and surgery. I can hardly tell they were in my leg to the bone 5 days ago. I will be forever grateful to them for my ability to walk, dance, do yoga and Tai Chi, and live my life again. The only thing that could have been better would have been a kinder, less invasive cerclage cable system. Hopefully, that can be corrected in the future, so others don’t have to go through what I have for these last 13 months.
 
Happy to hear you are doing well after your cerclage removal, and have your life back.
 
Thanks Pumpkin! I'm pretty stoked! What an unbelievable difference this has made for me. I saved the cable and it is crazy how rough and sharp the connector is. I put a photo of it on my blog. I wonder how people live with these things in their bodies, or why surgeons put them there in the first place? There is a better system I found researching cerclage cable problems: https://www.kinamed.com/products/orthopedic-products/supercable. I think I could have handled this system better, maybe could have kept it in.

I know you have helped me with my thread before. I was wondering, could you change the title to Relief after Removing Cerclage Cable"? When I got on the forum, I wanted to know if anyone had had one removed and I couldn't find anyone who had. I'd be happy to share my experience with others, but they'll need to be able to find my thread. Thanks for any help you could give me with this.
 
@BionicButt
Moderators have you fixed up with your new thread title.
Hope all is still going well with you !
 
Thank you so much for changing my thread title! This will make it easier for others to find.

I'm happy to report that I continue to heal and gain strength. I feel better and have less pain than I've had in 2 years (when my right hip really went downhill). Removing that cable was a wonder and I'm so glad I did it.

I had a great follow up appointment with my surgeon and his assistant this week. I was gratified to hear that they have already changed the cerclage system they use since my first surgery! They found a system that is even flatter, smaller and smoother than the Kinamed SuperCable. They explained the hurdle they face is getting the operating rooms and implant manufacturers to provide these cables. They asked to use my story and especially all the changes I noticed after the cable was removed. They hope that having this information might help them advocate for the new cabling system.

It was salve for my heart and soul to feel heard and validated by my surgical team and to know that the effort I've put into documenting all of this on my blog might be useful in preventing suffering for future hip replacement patients who require cerclage cables. (These cabling systems are also used in other orthopedic procedures.)
 
:goodpost:
Loved your post for several reasons. You're healing, feeling stronger, had a great appt with your OS,
you have a grateful heart and concern for others. Refreshing!
A great week and Happy Thanksgiving to you! May it only get better and better.
@BionicButt
 
Thanks Layla! It just keeps getting better and better every day! I had congenital hip dysplasia and a leg length discrepancy. So, this is the first time in my life that I stand on solid hips and even, balanced legs. It'll be interesting to see what I can do with that! Happy Thanksgiving to you too!
 
:egypdance:
So glad you are on your way to happy and healthy.
Onward...:yahoo:
 
Oh my @BionicButt - I can hardly see to type this for the tears that have filled my eyes and are currently streaming down my face. You, lady, have just answered the 198,715,489 questions and doubts I've had since my first THR May 2, 2018. In short, I went 12 weeks with constant pain and a worsening limp when I was told that I had a GT fracture. We wanted it fixed (though my OS thought it would heal if I just went ahead with my 2nd THR). I had the cerclage claw and wire put in August 1, 2018. The continuous pain, irritation, inability to walk normal, stretch, reach, etc has plagued me (and the emotional toll . . . HORRENDOUS).

I had my 2nd THR on November 5, 2018 and NO BREAKS this time around (they used a smaller implant). The difference in the two hips was noticeable from the start. I can't believe how different this one feels. I am still struggling going up the stairs leading with my left because it just doesn't want to pull its weight (and I have all sorts of popping and clicking). My OS is going to remove my cerclage hardware on December 14. I have been relieved and worried about what it may possibly feel like. I only have 25% healing on the fracture but my OS assures me it will be fine without the wire.

Reading your post(s) has REALLY REALLY impacted me - it's the first one I've read on here that I can so very closely relate to and here I sit in tears. I can't wait to show my husband when he comes home from work. I'm going to hop over to your blog page and I am REALLY curious now about asking my Dr. Hipster if I can keep my claw and wiring!!!!

Thank you Thank you Thank you!:roseshwr:
Kim
 
Hi Kim,

I just read this one and now I'm all teary! I so wanted to read someone's story and couldn't find one when I first came to BoneSmart. So, I decided I'd post mine and hopefully help someone. I'm so very happy you found your way to it!

If you are like me, you will feel an instant relief when they take that thing out and yes, it is well worth getting it as a conversation piece. I'm sure you've seen the photos of mine. Quite the nasty piece of equipment.

Please keep me posted on how you do!

The surgery is practically a non-event after a hip replacement. I think you will be very happy you did it. I certainly am! I finally have my right leg back under me again!
 
Hello @BionicButt - Today I had to run by the office of my OS to pick up scripts so they can be filled prior to Friday. He and I went strolling down a long hallway so he could check out my "device free" walk. The right hip is healing so nicely, it's amazing. He told me he just wants to make certain the fracture is continuing to heal, albeit slowly, prior to removing the hardware.

I got part way back to work before I remembered I was going to ask for my own conversation piece. I am hoping to remember to ask him Friday morning before it's lights out (actually I'm having a spinal with sedation).

Thank you for touching base, I so appreciate it - I mean I'm sorry you had to experience all of the pain and discomfort but I am so very thankful you wrote your story down because I was feeling pretty alone about it!!

Kim
 
I gather this means that the CT scan reassured him it is ok to pull the cable and you're on for Friday? I'm sure he could tell the difference between the two sides watching you walk! It's interesting that your cable is on the left and mine was on the right. Does your husband go into surgery prep with you? If he does, you might ask him to remind you about getting the cerclage as a conversation piece. I did that with Scott, because I didn't trust myself to remember! It is well worth having, though it can make you person when you first hold it in your hand and feel the sharp edges.

I am right there with you and will light a candle and say prayers for you on Friday. It makes me feel like all the pain and confusion I went through over my cable was worth it, if my story can give comfort and hope to others. This is what BoneSmart is for! It has been so good to hear from you and to go along on the journey with you into this surgery.

My guess is you will feel instant relief and know, like I did, that the problem is gone and you can move on without a hitch in your get-along! I'm gonna hold that vision for you! Looking forward to hearing from you on the Other Side.

Hugs, Rhonda
 
Hello hello my friend!!!! How are you doing as you near your 4th month of having that cerclage cable gone? Has the winter been good to you this far?

I believe I am in the midst of having a plateau - my progress forward seems to be stalled (or maybe it is as several have said just the ebbs and flows of recovery?) I have started to ice a couple of times a day again. I got out of the habit so after my trip to FL, I decided to get back into the routine of it to see if it will help. My OS suggested a cortisone shot to get me over the hump but I declined for now. I think I'll stick with the icing and walking.

Winter sure has a grip on the midwest and eastern seaboard. I am very happy that we don't get blasted with that day after day the way they have been. I have discovered that I don't deal very well with those low temperatures.

Wishing you well @BionicButt!
 
I just read your blog (actually read it through twice) - CONGRATS on cross-country skiing. Lady, you give me HUGE motivation and hope!!! I LOVED reading your description of the scenery, the feeling of gaining speed, all of it!!

Thanks for being that Beacon of Hope for me!!! You go girl @BionicButt
 
Fascinating story, @BionicButt! It makes me worry a little as I have a cerclage wire around my revised femur, so far causing no problems 6 weeks out. Let's hope it stays that way. As you said, there are different designs out there and why on earth would you leave anything except a smooth, flush connection anywhere in a living, breathing body. I'll have to give my xray a closer look. My OS told me he put one there to protect the femur while he implanted the longer stem, and there was no reason to remove it as it was still offering protection during the healing process. So far, so good.
 
Hi @NanaKP! Thanks for your sweet comments about my cross-country skiing adventure! It is so wonderful to be back out on the snow again. It's been two years and I surely missed it.

I'm sorry you're having a plateau. Those are always tough and discouraging, but they do pass. Do you think part of it is the cold and winter weather? I know that affected me too, especially at first. It is getting better now and I had no ill effects or stiffness being out in the cold skiing the other day. I looked again at your surgery dates and realized you've had FOUR surgeries in the last year and aren't yet at your first anniversary date. You're still in the midst of healing and it takes time. I promise you it will get better. Walking and swimming are both great ways to get your strength back, as long as you pace yourself. I found one of my hardest challenges was honoring the days when my body said, "No way! I want to rest today!" Another thing that really helped (and still does) is massage. I just got back from 90 minutes with my therapist and it is always a miracle. She's also helped me with breaking down the scar tissue under the incision.

I'm sending you tons of encouragement and a heap of patience! This plateau will be behind you soon!
 
Hi @prairienut,

I'm glad to hear your cable is not bothering you. My surgeon says that is a more common response to the cables--they aren't noticeable and can be left in place. This is always their preference. Another one of the forum members who has contacted me about a cable is @Lyndam. She was getting more and more used to hers as of our last conversation a couple of months ago. It sounds like yours has never given you problems? How is your recovery coming along at 6 weeks? What led to your revision? (I'm always interested in hearing about revisions, since I might have to have one or two...).

If you want to check out my blog, you can find it at https://rhondaashurst.com. Scroll down and on the right side you will see the Hip Adventure theme. Click on that and it will take you into the hip story. I'm about to put up a summary of the whole journey with video and xray links (including pictures of my cable). But, you might like to see the cable to compare to yours, so here's that link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/qXWaMSt2tW0TuBJf1.

Wishing you well in your recovery!
 
Hi again @NanaKP ... While I was in the pool, a little voice said I should go to my blog and look at where I was a year ago and post it. Below is an excerpt from my February 27, 2018 blog entry. It was written after a trip to Las Vegas with our elders. Everyone was in their 80's and 90's, except Scott and I. I walked too much the first day and ended up in the bars with my 92-year-old father-in-law, because we couldn't keep up with the 80-year-olds and the alcohol helped ease our aches and pains! My right hip had been replaced (with the cerclage) 5 months before and my left hip was going fast. I was very discouraged and bummed out. I was also walking like a penguin...

Here's the excerpt:

[Bonesmart.org] Relief after Removing Cerclage Cable
(this came from an article in a senior magazine on reducing fall risk)

I’ve got to say this little face captures how I feel, only I’d add some tears rolling down the cheeks. I took another spin on the “releasing expectations” wheel and am trying to wrap my head around this. Yesterday, I called my surgeon and made an appointment to see him in March to discuss the replacement of my left hip. It is hard to even write that sentence, but I did promise that I wouldn’t sink into denial and let this one go so long, and I intend to keep that promise. I’m hoping the recovery will be better as a result.

I remember being so hopeful at the four-month mark that I would get a reprieve from another surgery for the summer. I am so bummed about losing another summer of camping and hiking. I was really looking forward to that. But, I have had the joy of many summers in the high country and I believe there will be many more once this ordeal is behind me. I continue to be thankful this is all fixable, and there are definite benefits to doing it sooner vs. later.

So now it’s time to face reality, dig deep and fan the flames of my positive attitude.

Now, a year later, I feel almost back to my old self and am skiing again! I can't wait to see where you are a year from now! Keep the faith and fan the flames of that positive attitude. It will get better.
 
Hi @BionicButt, I checked out the photos of your cerclage cable. Wow, that fastener is huge, and seeing its positioning inside your body, how could it not hurt? I saw my X-ray from the revision surgery and noticed the cable but no lumpy knob on it. I see my OS Wednesday so I will have a closer look at that x-ray. It has never been a bother to me. In fact, I didn't even know I had a cable until my 2-week appointment I have had the usual aches and pains of recovery, but no problematic pain. Mine was a revision of a 10-year-old femoral implant that had come completely loose. It was toggling inside my femur as I changed position! Yikes! It even caused me to fall unexpectedly at least three times, twice in the garden, and once a full face-plant on a hike.

My revision surgeon at Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC said it was likely that the original implant was undersized for my femur which put it at much higher risk of loosening. In fact he observed that my x-ray from last April, nine moths before my revision, showed a clearly loosened stem. (My local OS team did not pick up on that, diagnosed my pain as "bursitis", and ordered PT.} The cup component was still solidly fixed and well-aligned, so he left that in place. He inserted a new PE liner for the cup and used a new ceramic-surfaced ball. The new hip feels more solid and natural than the old one ever did. He had to debride the inside surface of the femur to "make it bloody" so it would grow into the new stem and of course the new stem is longer than the original. I suspect that my original femoral stem was never quite right. I have had aches and pains (mostly mild, but occasionally more severe) in the greater trochanter area all through the last 10 years (always diagnosed as bursitis}. Surprisingly, my recovery from the revision has been easier and more comfortable than the original THR. Not sure why. It did help that the surgeon had to swap only the femoral component and not also the acetabular component -- less blood loss and trauma to recover from. I believe I also had a very skilled revision OS, a young guy, but one who does lots of complex revisions. I think he gave me the right-sized implant! And I cannot say enough about the care I received at HSS, their anti-infection and patient safety protocols, and their amazing facilities.

At 6 weeks out, I am still using the cane for going upstairs but not otherwise. If I get tired towards the end of a busy day, I might break out the cane still. If I sit for long periods, I'm a little stiff when I first stand up, but not in pain. I no longer use the commode (my family likes that). About the only thing I cannot do easily is get a sock on the operated side as I have the 90 degree restriction. I was "load bearing as tolerated" from Day 1 and cleared to drive at 2 weeks. I've had two outpatient PT sessions so far and plan to have about four more. My therapist has a sensible approach to PT and doesn't push too hard.

My first reaction to hearing I needed a revision was to weep, but it has turned out to be a very positive experience, and I now have a hip that works as it should. Let's hope it lasts a loooong time.
 
Hi @prairienut, I'm so happy to hear that your revision surgery went so well! It sounds like your OS fixed a problem you had had all along and that the outcome is even better than the first surgery. Your story helps me feel less afraid of the possibility that I might have to have a revision at some point later in my life. I've heard several stories from others who had problems because the wrong sized implant was used.

On my right hip, they placed one implant and thankfully decided it was not the right size and replaced it immediately. This was part of the added stress on my femur which led them to cable it to make sure it didn't fracture. They were afraid they might have micro-fractured it, since they had to place two implants and it was already distressed. But, I'm so glad they took the time to get the size right and to cable it. I also know someone whose OS knew they had fractured the femur and then chose not to cable it! She had to have a revision at 6 weeks.

Hopefully we are both good to go now and that cable will never give you problems!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom