Guest viewing is limited

TKR Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am proud to report that they recorded a 115 degree flexion and close to 0 extension on my 6th postop day during my first PT in the office. I am stoked! Looks like that camping trip I planned for the end of month will happen after all!
 
All sounding good. Be prepaid for the roller coaster though it sounds like you've made a great start :) :)
 
And...I'm completely weight bearing as much as I want to, which is about 1/3 of the time. Finally, I'll get my staples out this Friday, and cant wait to rock and roll then! I'll be starting to taper my pain meds this week.
 
Thanks, Becky, but I didnt invite any rollercoasters to my recovery. Never liked em anyway! ;)
 
Wow! Please be careful. I know that I am anxious and an over-achiever, but it would be a shame if you rebounded. Listen to your body. I could bend a good 115 with meds, but not without them.

Take care!
 
How are you doing today? Hope your pain and swelling are being managed and you have settled in to a good routine.
 
​
[Bonesmart.org] Released!
​
 
Ok..just figuring all this out. Now... I must admit, against all pride, my first pt was a killer, and i still hurt from it. I expected it to hurt for a while, but the pain has been deep and excruciating, and the joint seems to swell each time I get upright. Maybe I overdid it?
 
Yep. You over did it!:SUNsmile: I am on my 7th post op day and have yet to have pt.I just putter from the bed to kitchen sit up for a while and rest when I fell like it. I get up and wash in the morning , get dressed and go back for a lie down. This is when I do my simple exercises.
Slow and steady improvement. Each day seems a little better. Let that surgery heal! :SUNsmile:
Wanda
 
Good morning 50yrold How are things today? I hope the swelling is settling.:SUNsmile:
 
Wow. Every day is different. I thought I'd at least get a little work done this week, but its been hard, and I've canceled a few committments. The last coupla days have been hard. But, ive been sticking to the pt regiment. Really hurt this am, but it felt better after working it out. Swelling is up and down. Pitting edema has set in my calf, but Ive been expecting that. Still good rom and dexterity is improving. Staples out tomorrow, after pt and tens tx. Sticking it out, still optimistic about a great outcome. Willing tomsuffer to get there.
 
Good to hear from you and that you're still optimistic. It's easy to get discouraged when you have a set back or pain isn't managed. You have the right idea about cancelling commitments. Even though it's hard and feels like you are admitting defeat, you are just using wisdom and it is for the best in the long run. Try to keep that swelling down. I never had staples, but I imagine you will feel like a new man once they are out. Keep that great attitude going!
 
You had your surgery one day before me. It sounds like you are doing well. I am getting my stitches out Monday. It is two days early because surgeon cannot make the appointment.
 
Good luck, carolina girl. Imwas wondering howmyou had done! My staples came out on Friday, and it was a huge relief. Doc also took a pint of postop surgical blood/fluid from my knee which relieved a lot of pressure. He said he was saving me a week of pain, and I believe him. It also gave the advantage of seeing no evidence of infection in the fluid. Lo and behold, I awoke this am after ony a single dose of pain med during the night, and was nimble. I knew it would be a no crutches day, and it has been. Only two pain pills all day. Swelling is way down, and bruising is almost all gone. I hope you are faring as well. I believe thensecret has been keeping up on the PT, which I have been faithful at. It makes a huge diff, I think. Hang in there and do well! I think we are over the worst of it!
 
Hey there 50yrold, We were done on the same day but I had both knees replaced. My staples come out on Tuesday and it's about time as they are itching like mad. I'm happy to hear you are doing well. Wow! A pint of fluid drained from your knee. Thankfully I have had zero swelling from day one and my bruising is all but gone. I'm getting about very well! I found myself at the end of my hall without my walking aid today. 3rd time I've done this. Stairs are not an issue. No pain just slow. My ROM is great and has been since my first post op day. Like you I no longer have to take meds by the clock and I'm pleased with the amount of time between doses. We seem to be recovering at the same rate. The only difference is I have not had any PT other than the usual heal slides, ankle pumps etc. and since my mobility has increased so much I'm starting to forget those. Fingers crossed that I may not need much PT if any.
Take care
Wanda
P.S. How is the pitting edema in your lower leg?
 
Wow, My Way! I knew there was another on my day, but, forgive me, wasn't keeping up to well on others names. Sorry. But, I didn't know a double TKR? Man! Glad you are getting along so well! I just made my second trip out, but this time to a big box hardware store, and then treated my wife and I to a beer afterward. No additional pain or swelling, but the old tennis shoes I was wearing made me feel like the repaired leg was longer. It didn't seem as much barefooted when I got home.

The edema has minimized, but was the bane of my recovery of the first two surgeries. Glad of it. I still use the TED stockings each day, and I ice about 50% of the time. I have a cryocuff/aircast that does a great job and is mobile with me.

Looks like the July group thus far is doing great!
 
50yrold I haven't gone for an excursion yet as getting in and out the autos is still a little dicey with both knees done. The car too low and the pickup a tad too high. I am planning on going to the nurse to have staples out rather than have her come to my house as I want to get out a bit. You should buy new shoes as the old ones we were wearing have worn to our pre op gait. Not good for our new knees.
Wanda
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom