Guest viewing is limited

Regaining Leg/Knee Extension Capability Following a Gym-Based Injury – A “Course Correction” After A 9 Month Delay/Detour

As has been suggested, working hard isn't always a good idea. I will admit I'm very bad at this one. If 10 reps is good, then I'll do 15 or 20. And my knee and I pay a great price in swelling and pain. It took me several surgeries to be able to give up that type of thinking. Over working your knee adds to swelling and you can't bed a swollen knee. The concept seems so reasonable, but until you've experienced it, it is not. Learn from my mistakes!

I think your doing well.
 
Hi there @Jamie and @eaglemom.

Thanks for your timely wisdom.

I think I might have pushed it a little too hard over the past few days!

The muscles behind my left knee seem to be spasming/twitching this morning -- it's quite strange.

I will try to keep to a slower and steadier approach in the future!
 
Hi folks.

Just a quick update to show my current (updated) daily 'leg/knee extension seeking' at-home self-led physiotherapy/rehab program.

I hope the list of activities below is useful to anyone in a similar situation -- and especially to those who cannot do a lot of typical physiotherapy activities, due to poor leg/knee extension capability.

The whole run-though takes some time -- about 2 to 3 hours. (2 hours is usually my goal, but the run-through can take longer if I get carried-away doing a particular part.)

I now do all parts every day. (Previously I was doing some parts every 2-3 days.)

As noted in previous posts, although I am now doing daily sessions, I also try to take care not to 'over-do' any part -- which is often easier said than done for me, as I can get carried away!

Here are the parts:


(1) Massage:
  • Self-massage of my legs, and in particular, the calves, hamstrings, and carefully behind the knees. I use my hands, plus a lacrosse ball for this.

(2) Very basic strength movements:
  • Legs:
    • Seated bodyweight Calf Raises, including static-holds/isometrics at the top position.
    • Bodyweight Glute Bridge (AKA: Laying-down Hip Raise) static/isometric-holds. I use a few different feet placement positions, to emphasise:
      • The quads.
      • The hamstrings.
      • The glutes.
    • A number of low-position Bodyweight Squat static-holds/isometrics. I move into the low-squat stance from my bed or a chair. I aim for about 8 to 10 'holds' with rests in-between. The amount of seconds for a 'hold' can vary.
  • Core:
    • Series of floor/mat-based Hollows (with bent-legs/knees), Curl-Ups, Deadbugs, or similar anterior (front) core orientated movements.

(3) Low-load, long-duration stretching for the rear of the legs (especially the hamstrings and behind-the-knees):
  • Basic derivative of Prone Hangs, based on the floor / a mat.
    • Performance:
      • I get into a position on my stomach, and just let my legs “hang out behind me”, with the aim of the weight of my feet/lower-legs, plus tension applied in the hamstrings, slowly encouraging the legs/knees extend out.
    • Observations:
      • My success with prone hangs continues to be very limited so far.
      • They remain quite unpleasant ('nasty' even) to do.
      • I really don't like doing these!

Sometimes, I need to split the run-through up as follows:
  1. Morning: Massage + strength movements.
  2. Evening: Low-load, long-duration stretching for the rear of the legs (especially the hamstrings and behind-the-knees).

The above might be subject to change, once I see my private physiotherapist for the first time, which is tomorrow.

All the best folks!
 
I am concerned about the fact that you are doing all of this every day and not giving your body time to recover in between these very long workouts. As others have said "working hard" can be counterproductive. I know you've said you are trying not to overdo things, but 3 hours of work sounds a bit like overdoing.

The doctor of physical therapist with whom I worked during my surgery recoveries was adamant that our bodies "need a day off." Even top athletes vary their workouts to give different muscle groups time to recover.

Consider cutting back your program and doing parts of it on alternate days. While the massage is fine to do daily, perhaps alternating the other parts of your regimen. Perhaps doing strength work one day and stretching the next to give your body recovery time.
 
Hi there Deb, thanks so much for your wisdom and guidance -- I appreciate that very much.

You make some great points here. I do feel that I sometimes have a "more is more" mentality, which is not always helpful. One thing that worries me is that I am very much "behind" in my recovery (as I did zero physio/related activities for 9 months), and so, feel as though I am trying to make up for lost time.

I'll take stock of how things are going this week, and will make some changes if my legs/behind-the-knees are reacting badly.

I am very much learning as I go at the moment!
 
I agree with @benne68 less is more. Our bodies are not machines and we can’t make them do what we want. I was a tad concerned about your self directed programme, especially as it was not prescribed by a trained professional, and even then they don’t know exactly how our bodies feel, only we know that.
Time is the greatest healer and having rest days it’s vitally important too. Recovery is a long, slow and often frustrating business and unfortunately we can’t either will it better, or force it, as over use can be very counter productive. My consultant level physiotherapist always mentioned the internal swelling in the knees and how this impacts on the potential of the joint movement. He never forces or over prescribes repetitive movements as he says it’s counterproductive and will just take longer.
I understand completely your desire to fully recover and put all this behind you, however I urge both patience, restraint and also to listen both to your body and the medical professionals- physiotherapist and consultant you are currently booked with.
Once part of a body is damaged, even when repaired we are not quite as we were and acceptance of this helps the recovery too.
Please let us know how your appointments go and it will improve , even if it takes a bit longer than you’d like. This picture helps remind us about our expectations and the reality of recovery.
IMG_3968.webp
 
Hi there @Legseleven -- thanks again for your timely advice -- I appreciate that a lot.

I'll try to reign myself in a little!

I will also be sure to follow the guidance of my private Orthopaedic Consultant and Physiotherapist, and will take on-board that recovery is not a perfect 'straight line' to success.


First Private Physiotherapy Session Today And What It Entailed

On the above note, I saw my private physiotherapist for the first time today. He was excellent.

The session went very fast, and was all-business. It broadly involved the following:
  • Questioning about my injury, my post-injury timeline so far, and my most recent interactions with health services (UK NHS and private).
  • Questioning about my self-led physiotherapy/related activities, when I started them (only recently), and how effective I have found them so far.
  • Great set of mobilisations and assisted stretching techniques employed, which also utilised some tension-based (tension on/tension off) techniques. It was very challenging, and often uncomfortable, but was under full and safe control.
  • Suggestions on useful items to buy for home massage and assisted stretching (if I didn't already have them).
  • Recommendation to hold-off on remedial massage from a professional for the moment. This can be considered later.
  • Frank assessment of the need to regain leg extension capability, for future quality of life.
  • Frank assessment that the process will take time and effort.

Adjustments to Home Regimen

I ran a broad summary of my daily regimen by him and he was happy with it.

I am actually to try a new movement. My understanding is that I am to do this as an alternative to Prone Hangs, which have not worked great for me so far. (That said, I don't see too much of a problem either varying the two movements, or sometimes combining them in a session, if time permits.)

I learned and performed the new movement today. It feels like a good one. For one of my legs/knees, I achieved a level of leg/knee extension on the movement that I have not managed to achieve in a long time.

The movement involves laying on the back (on a mat or on the floor), placing the heel of one or both legs on a stability/fitness ball, then extending the legs outwards as far as sensibly possible (then back again), for repetitions. Additionally, a variation is possible where the heel is pressed into the ball, thereby adding extra tension to the hamstring(s).

Looking ahead, my plan is to:
  • Adapt my daily regimen, and dial it down to about 1.5 hours or so, as follows:
    • About 30 mins on massage work, using the hands, a lacrosse ball, and a massage-stick/roller (which is very easy going, in my opinion).
    • About 30 mins on strength work (which is still quite easy-going, in my opinion).
    • About 30 mins on stretching/lengthening techniques (the most difficult thing to do, in my opinion).
  • Take a day off if my legs and behind-the-knees areas are feeling very irritated.
  • See my physiotherapist at one week intervals.

Plan to Continue with Physiotherapy Activities Until MRI and Post-MRI Consult

My private double-knee MRI has a small wait time -- 2-3 weeks or so. This is because the private hospital selected is very busy, as is their imaging department. Nonetheless, this is still much faster than a multi-month (about 3+ months at the moment, I have been told) wait for a UK NHS double-knee MRI, plus the additional multi-month post-MRI wait to see an NHS consultant about it.

After the double-knee MRI is performed, I will wait a few days, then book an appointment with my private Orthopaedic Surgeon to discuss it, and any future leg-extension strategies.


That's where I'm at!

All the best folks, and thanks so much for the guidance and advice!
 
Last edited:
This sounds like good progress. I’m glad you’re rethinking how hard you push yourself to “catch up” in recovery. Please try not to dwell on the “shoulds” that weren’t done in a timely manner. You can recover from this. Your body is in charge though and you cannot make a schedule for it. It will heal in its own time. Your job is to pay attention to the signals that will tell you when you can work a little harder and when to scale things back. And it is important to give yourself at least a day in between these stretching exercise routines so your body is able to recover from each session. That’s the best way to keep moving forward.
 
Thanks again @Jamie for your encouragement and guidance -- I am very grateful for that.

Just about to crack on with my physio/rehab session for today.

One thing that occurred to me is to request a delay to the MRI date, until I have made better progress (and better leg/knee extension) with my physio activities. I might do that in the next few days or so.

All the best!
 
One thing that occurred to me is to request a delay to the MRI date
If it were me, I’d have the MRI asap as I’d want to know what’s going on before I keep - as you say - cracking on.
Knees have so many different bio mechanical components and before determinedly cracking on I’d want to know what’s been going on.
As I have said before we can neither force or will our knees better if there’s an underlying problem with one of the components. This is where the tests come in. Many people on here, and in the wider world have tried all manner of ways to get better, including me, only to be defeated by simple physics because of biomechanics.
I was increasing my sit to stands in December to try to get back to work and this unfortunately led to a very painful slipped disc, because the knee was not mechanically sound. I know it’s mechanically ok now, having been revised last month and all I have to do is allow the healing to take place supported with the relevant physio and exercise without overdoing it. Time plays a part in this and patience.
I hope you can find some patience and allow the investigations be completed as arranged because once all the facts are known a suitable course of action can then be planned by the professionals and you’ll recover and eventually forget all about this.
Please keep us updated.
 
Hi there @Legseleven

Thanks again for your guidance and insights, based on your experience -- very much appreciated.

I'll leave the MRI date alone (when I receive it), and will post an update after the results.
 
Last edited:
it were me, I’d have the MRI asap as I’d want to know what’s going on before I keep - as you say - cracking on.
Agree with @Legseleven on this.
It is best to know exactly what you are dealing with- particularly as you are doing a lot of rehab exercise. You don't want to risk further injury.
 
Hi folks.

Hope everyone is well.

Just a quick update.

I've been doing weekly very intensive physiotherapy sessions with my private physio for about 4-5 weeks now and have made some great progress.

Originally, before starting with the private physiotherapist, I was anything between 50 degrees, up to a fairly alarming 70 degrees away from full knee/leg extension. It was a very dark time.

Thankfully, I'm happy to report that I am now about 20-25 degrees away from full extension, and am optimistic about making further progress.

While still mobilising on crutches when going outside, I am standing taller than I have in many months.

In summary, and for anyone interested, my approach has been to:

1. Undertake weekly physiotherapy sessions (30-45 mins) with an experienced private physiotherapist, which can often involve fairly 'intense' (and sometimes quite 'medieval' and/or 'fairly savage') assisted stretching and mobilisation techniques.

2. Undertake my daily regimen (posted earlier) on the 6 other days of the week, allowing for the very occasional missed day here and there.

My dual-knee MRI is coming up at the end of August, and I will report back after that. I have a hunch it will come back 'clean' (no internal mechanical/structural issues), but I still think getting it done has great value for reassurance purposes.

All the best folks.
 
Normally we don’t encourage aggressive therapy, but if this is working for you I’m glad.

I notice that we don’t have a signature for you yet. Can you please provide your surgery information so we can get that done for you? We’ll need the type of surgery and date for the procedure. Without this, it’s difficult to tell exactly where you are in your recovery, especially when reading update posts.
 
Hi there Jamie.

Thanks so much for your kind words -- very much appreciated.

I have now filled in my signature. I have not had any knee surgeries so far, and am awaiting my double-knee MRI (the actual scan, and then for the results after that).

Hope that helps, and all the best.
 
Wow... What a Story .... I know you are awaiting your MRI results, but .... What does your physiotherapist think?
Did you tear some Muscle/tendon?
For tendons injury, utrasound Is extremelly usefull to investgate tendonitis etc. Did you have that ?
 
Hi there IdaCzech,

It's been a long journey since the injury for sure.

Although still waiting on getting a double-knee MRI, my physiotherapist has a pre-MRI view (subject to the MRI confirmation, of course), that because there is a little bit of 'give' in my knees (in terms of pushing the extension limit) during every physiotherapy session, that there is no 'hard/mechanical block' inside the knees obstructing full extension.

Therefore, his view, at this time at least (and pre-MRI) is that the injury is highly likely to be muscle and tendon based (only).

I have not had an ultrasound, but I might raise that with him during my next session.

The MRI result will have a big say on future treatment options. If it comes back 'clean', I think I will be told to proceed with the physiotherapy only. If 'not', I suppose I'll have to listen carefully to all the options.

All the best!
 
Welcome to BoneSmart, @IdaCzech. We're glad you found us.

Are you having --or have you had -- knee surgery? If so, please post which surgery and the date in the appropriate month in either the Knee Pre-Op Forum or the Knee Recovery Forum, so we can add you to the list and start a signature for you.

Since you are new to the Forum, be sure to take a few minutes to read about our two-level Membership Program and Guidelines for Posting. You are currently registered as a Basic Member, which is limited in terms of forum participation. It’s meant primarily for members who choose only to research and read on specific topics.

If you would like to share your surgery and recovery journey, please consider joining our Insiders Club. As an Insider, you will be able to start your own threads and receive advice from our staff to your questions or concerns.

As a non-profit, we depend upon contributions to keep BoneSmart available for all.

Best Wishes on your joint replacement journey.
 
Your signature is fine. It will help to easily tell where you are in your knee journey. I apologize….somehow I had the idea you had some knee surgery and now can see your situation is quite different.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom