Bilateral TKR Redsdad recovery thread

Now 27 days since Surgery. 8 days in surgical Hospital. Had bleeding issues. Hemaglobin went dowd had to have a single unit blood transfusion. Got transferred to inpatient acute rehab at another local hospital. Spent 8 days there getting 3 hrd therapy per day except Sunday. That Helped alot. Therapist never forced any thing but encouraged me to push as hard as i could. Came home 2days ago. Was getting 6 degree extension and approx 124 degree of flexion.
Hoping to get home PT therapy going again on monday.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
 
Thanks Celle. My issue is your how to's never match what I see on my Samsung Note 5 running the Androin Nougat op sys. Thus I can never find any menus that match your instructions. The new thread icon very seldom appears and it's always hard to determine if im signed in or just viewing as a guest.

I do not intend to break any rules. I like the blog and value the ability to discuss with others who have been where i am now.

It does however feel like my fopaws make me not wanted here. Maybe thats all me or maybe Im just too sensitive but I wanted you to understand my feeling & concern. If Ive violated my welcome Ill understand when you block my ability to log in as was done in November 2016 when I had to delay my knees replacement surgeries.

Again Im sorry if I broke rules. But its hard when my view never matches the how to's.



Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
So sorry....we recognize that we have some work to do on our mobile app. It will hopefully be in the budget in the coming months. Do you have the capability to access us on your device using the internet? It might be a better experience if you can.

Please don't think you're not wanted on BoneSmart....of course you are! We just have to sometimes make some edits to keep posts and threads easy for others to read and follow. And when we make those changes, we do want you to know what was done and why.
 
@Redsdad - Of course you're welcome here. You made a simple mistake that many people have made before you. We would not block your access. I think what happened back in November was the entire BoneSmart site had a few problems and everyone was getting locked out from time to time. You would not have been locked out because your operation was postponed.

While I usually use my laptop, I do have a Samsung tablet, but I haven't heard of the Androin Nougat op sys.

I find that the best way to view BoneSmart on my tablet is to use a web browser, such as Chrome, and go to the BoneSmart Forum page and work from there:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/

The links I gave you work on there and you can also Bookmark your own recovery thread. It's true that you can't do some things, such as make your signature, but most of the other instructions work.
 
Thanks Celle. Ill try gettin on from a tablet or pc tbough i dont know how Ill get taptalk app on a pc.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
 
If you're on a laptop or PC, you don't need Tapatalk. You access BoneSmart via your browser for the internet. As Celle suggested, you can use Chrome, Firefox or something like that. Your computer should already have something downloaded for you to use.
 
Sounds like you're coming along fine. Remember--rest, ice, elevate--and nap. :)
 
I find using direct acces through the Internet on my iPhone is much more user friendly than using the app.
 
Had 1st followup yesterday. Staples were removed. Will be able to shower w/o wraping tomorrow. So far. I'm doing great. Already 2 degrees extension and over 125 degrees flexion in both knees. Have a lot of muscle soreness on the top of my thigh in the Quads. Still gently working on stretching to get to 0 extension.

Never worked into real Pain but always tried to work hard enough to stretch. PT folks have all been very good. They challenge me to work hard but dont force me or want me to do anything that causes severe pain. I think of it like lifting weights. I go till i feel a little burn then stop rest & ice and do again 2 to 4 times a day.

Swelling has not been a big issue but i do get heat from some areas of the knee. Ice helps that.

Well thats all for now. Wishing for great results for all of you who are taking this journey toward future mobility.

My advisedo some each day. Pay attention to youur body cand mind the bonesmart mantras.

Gos Bless you all!



Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
 
Hi @Redsdad, I'm glad you got home and are progressing. I also had a difficult time seeing what instructions everyone posted about. On my iPhone I went to the site on my browser and then placed on icon on my home screen. I just use that instead of the app. I was much more emotional and sensitive after surgery and felt like I was scolded when I did it wrong. I truly believe that isn't the intent, but there are so many of us that they have to keep us writing in one thread or they wouldn't be able to see all our issues. I flopped numerous times but think I've finally got it figured out. Don't give up, you will get great support here!
 
Hi all. Nearing 3 months now since mt BTKR. Lots of pain & stiffness in the mus les & tissues surrounding the knees. Folks say it may takd 6 mos to a year or more for that to go away. If I take oxy its not too bad but Im not willing to let myself get addicted to pain meds. Hoping the healing keeps lessening the soreness.
Walking not too bad except for the stiffness & associated pain.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
 
@Redsdad you are doing great! Fear can be good as it makes us be more aware of what our new babies need! Don't be hard on yourself! Us bilaterals are a unique bunch of brave souls that undertake this journey with the attitude of one and done but that "one" is huge! You are not alone! Keep listening to your knees and keep moving forward! Your great days will outnumber the not so great ones and your fear will be replaced more and more with confidence!
 
I still have stiffness in my knees, too, though the pain in my left knee has gone down slowly and is lagging my pain-free right knee by about, oh, a month. I think each bilateral patient is different, and each KNEE is different. Knees heal at their own chosen speed, some faster, some slower. We have no choice but to go with the flow. What @Kare2dare says is so true: we opted for one and done... but that "one" is huge! It's a really intense recovery.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
True! I worked hard thru all the therapy and while the legs are stronger there is yet room for improvement. Looking forward to a day when the pain is all gone.
Thanks for the encouragements!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
 
My OS told me I'd probably hate him until my new knee was 6 months old. Though, I never did hate him, I hated myself in the early days for doing it! By the time 6 months rolled around, I loved my new knee, even though some days it fussed at me. Knowing your knees and how they react is all part of the healing process. If it hurts now or later on, don't do it yet!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello there. I am a yoga teacher and had BTKR. From my personal experience, I find that the stretch called "Child's Pose" of yoga. Please look up on You Tube or google image so you can see what Child's Pose looks like really helps to stretch the quadriceps and alleviate the tightness and discomfort that I experienced post BTKR. Be gentle. No forcing. Just let your body slowly settle into Child's Pose to help stretch the quads and increase flexion of the knee. Check with your physical therapist for his/her opinion on this to see whether it's appropriate for your particular situation.

Also a gentle stroll helps loosening you up too. I feel more stiffness and discomfort when not moving around.

Best of luck with your recovery. I returned to teaching yoga and Pilates 4 months post BTKR so no worries. You will continue to improve with time.
 
This is an image of the child's pose.
[Bonesmart.org] Redsdad recovery thread

I think it would be very difficult to do in the early days of recovery, but you could try a lesser version, without so much bend.
Make sure you know how to get up off the floor first!
 
Wow. I will not dispute with a yoga teacher that something worked for her; I confess to being surprised, though. The starting pose of all fours is 'gross' to 'painful' for many. There is also force being put through the knees, which for new TKRs is always painful.

All I'm saying is try it by all means, after all an expert has recommended it, but don't be surprised or disappointed if it doesn't work for you, it's not a fail.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom