THR Red Shoe is Singing on the Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Butterfly. It is almost time. I know the waiting is so hard, especially when you want to get up and do things. The mind is willing, the body, sometimes not so much.
 
Butterfly hi sweet lady, I really would like to reassure you that the operation pain is no where near as bad as you think it will be. The reason I'm feeling poorly is because my blood count has dropped so low. The nurse has come round today and said my levels haven't dropped anymore but I may still need a transfusion. The hip is doing amazingly well and I've learned how to bend using the golfer leg position. It's given me a whole new lease of life :) I also have been using a very large ice pack every hour and that helps so much. My bone on bone pain has gone but I do have a throbbing in my groin due to the swelling. My surgeon doesn't believe in using a drain so all the muck and gunk will take awhile to disperse . Saying that I can walk much better today and even went into the garden for five minutes. My sister lives out of town but works at our local hospital so is popping in after work each night to give me my injections . Please don't be frightened by the operation pain, yes it does make you say ouch now and again but is no where near as bad as the day after day bone pain we are used to. I think the weeks before the operation are the worst by far. Hang on in there lass :kittykiss:
Vetgirl LeeApril26 thank you and hope your both ok, I may attempt eating a steak today and see if that helps get my blood count up :) xxx
 
Red Shoe. Hope you had the steak. Maybe your sister could pick up some protein powder to make shakes, if appetite is a problem? Never has been an issue for me so don't know. My friend had back surgery a month ago and had to go back for a transfusions. Afterwards she felt instantly much better and her recovery is going well.
Butterfly. My leg felt like a tree trunk after the surgery, for about two weeks, but there was no incision pain-just a rather heavy leg, which was annoying when getting in and out of bed.
 
Butterfly, I agree 100% with Red Shoe, the pain after the replacement is nothing compared to the pain before. I had bone on bone with bone spurs and fluid on the joint. I also had referred pain down through my knee and shin which was excruciating. Now after surgery, all those pains are GONE! My leg is of course swollen, but I have ice packs on it. I also know how anxious it can make you, I didn't sleep at all the night before, I was awake all night long because of the fear of worse pain afterwards. The only problem I had was a nasty reaction to Oxycontin which made me violently ill and dizzy all day last Friday. Once they took me off of that, life was good, I was able to eat fine and go to group PT twice a day. You will be just fine. Red Shoe, a steak sounds WONDERFUL right now, I really think you should have one!
 
hi @redshoe hippy chum :) funny u mention the appetite because although im feeling good my appetite isnt what it was either i found sennakot great for the constipation , hope your feeling better soon xx
 
I must be a weird one....my appetite is fine, actually I'm always hungry now...lol. I also didn't have any constipation and my leg is not bruised at all. My leg is swollen from the thigh, knee and calf, but that's it. They had a blood drain thingy in me, but that came out on Saturday. My leg also feels heavy at times too.
 
I'm not hungry now...nerves!!!!
 
Vetgirl u will be fine i was a bag of nerves i have laughed at myself since it was done
:happydance: i will be thinking of u xx
 
It's funny.... I've lost about 6 pounds in the last week!


RTHR September17, 2013
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Deafdogz WOW -- did you say your knee and leg pain went away? WOW! I sure hope mine does. Sometimes my knee hurts worse than the hip does and I get that pain all t he way down the legs, too). Doc says wait and see til after the hips are fixed to even think about the knees. I sure do hope and pray the knees get better after the hip is fixed. I also have bone spurs and god knows what all in those hip joints. Had a really bad day pain-wise today.

I think I asked you once before -- but is the dog in your avator the "deafdogz?" When I see one of those dogs, I always think of General Patton (I am showing my age) -- he had one of those. I've never been around them much, but I understand they are wonderful dogs.

Glad you are doing better. I'll get there eventually . . . .

Peace and love to you.
 
Vetgirl, good luck for tomorrow 11 Sep.. I will be waiting for you on the recovery side :)
 
Butterfly. Great news about the x-ray. Also, my PT said that if you have a weak glute you may have pain on the opposite knee. After surgery my left glute was like a pancake from months of disuse-right knee very painful. Improving now.
 
LeeApril26 Had the EKG today and my PC doc said it was slightly abnormal but nothing to worry or get excited about, and he cleared me for surgery.. Of course I freaked when he said "abnormal" but he said no big deal.

Peace and love.
 
see...deep breath and calm....

this is the comprehensive list of pain that disappeared after surgery
-pain in op side ankle, sort of felt like a sprain and if I did 50+ ankle circles it would go away
-pain below op side knee, odd pulling sensation was getting pretty intense before surgery
-unbelievable pain in op side thigh; this started this odyssey I was certain I had broken a bone and the pain put the end to walking unaided 2 months before surgery
-odd little pinch in groin on non op side, usually after a lot of walking
-pain in the middle of one or both butt cheeks
-pain along upper butt right under waistline, after a long day of standing
-ache in lower back
-and intense pain that would radiate out of my hip, thigh, butt, lower stomach when I moved the wrong way in my sleep, this was the reason for many sleepless nights.

Now I have pain in the op side knee, if I ice it I can control it. The knee is stiff in the AM and after sitting but walking doesn't bother it actually seems to help it. And in the soon to be replaced hip I have a lot of noise, it is really strange to have your body talk so loudly! and there is pain in my butt and upper thigh. None of the pain is as debilitating as the first hip but I will not let this hip get as out of control as the first one was...

So yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus and he will take all the pain away!!!!!!
 
Butterfly If they had the slightest concern about the EKG they would not proceed, so I am sure it is a very minor abnormality. Glad the tests went well.
Good luck tomorrow Vetgirl
Red Shoe Hope today went well, and that you're feeling more energetic.
 
Red Shoe Hope you are doing better and feeling less pain.

I've had a rough couple days with running here and there getting pre op stuff done and I'm just so tired of all of this taking up my whole life. As you know, your entire life gets wrapped up in pain, doctors' appointments, worry, lack of sleep because of pain, etc. I do not know why I worry so much when I KNOW worry does not do a t hing to change anything. But I can't seem to help it. Maybe if I was still trying to work, I'd at least have other t hings on my mind -- but I KNOW I couldn't 'have gone on doing that. I'm having a supreme self-pity party here. I wish I could go shopping -- that would help even if I didn't buy anything at all.

You are in my thoughts and prayers for a good and swift recovery. Please send me good thoughts, too.

Love,
Milli

PS: Are you walking around? Does your incision hurt a lot?
 
Butterfly I wish I could fly over and hold your hand, I promise you all will be well with your op Vetgirl it will all soon be over lass and you will be joining me through that magic door. Do exactly as your asked and you will sail through the op.
To all my Bonesmart chums, I'm feeling so much better today :) I've been drinking this liquid iron mixed with orange juice, it's called Spa Tone and the equivalent of eating 18 lbs of broccoli a day :shocked: my appetite has come back and my bloods will be re- tested on Friday, if all good then I won't need a transfusion. The operation has been a breeze compared to the anaemia . I'm doing really well on my sticks and have even ventured out into the garden. I've learned how to do the golfers pose by keeping my bad leg straight behind me and bending my other leg. This has opened a whole new world for me and I can even get to feed our three cats. I'm having blood thinning injections every day for a month, not keen on them and my sister is doing them as my husband is needle phobic. My swelling is going down thanks to ice, elevation and rest and no bone pain !!!!!!! :dancy: I can't believe it's only been nine days since my op and all my fears have gone . I'm not saying I don't have op pain but when you find out what they have to do to get the new hip in, then it's no surprising you get the odd twinge :kittykiss:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Red Shoe is Singing on the Other Side
It's so good to hear that things are going well and that you are feeling better. Just continue to follow the mantras and it will just get better and better.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Red Shoe -
So glad to hear your home and on the right road to recovery --- what a shame you had the added complication of anaemia and low blood pressure.
I’ve posted separately, but I’ve got my new date – Tuesday 8th October ---- that suits me just fine!
As for the loss of appetite, I’m taking the opportunity to lose some weight whilst in hospital (and recovery) --- so, although I’m sorry for you, I’m really hoping I lose my appetite too!
All the best for a full and speedy recovery – I’ll try and post more myself (I guess I’ll have time to when I’m recovering!!!)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom