THR Red Shoe is Singing on the Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
How great to hear from you!!!! I have low blood pressure too.....I often wake up from surgery with my legs higher than my head.

I hope all is going well. Post when you can
 
Butterfly Vetgirl Elosarabrab stronggal Poppet zauberflöte LeeApril26 Songlady Michelle1976 Josephine sqwerlie wigmar and every other lovely person who has supported and asked how I am. Forgive me not tagging you all as I know I've missed some names out but my head has been on another planet.

I came home yesterday afternoon after being admitted on the Monday. It's been a up and down week and now I'm not on morphine I can explain a bit more about my op. I had a general anaesthetic and a nerve block injection which went in through my right buttock. After chatting to the anaesthetist before going into theatre, it seemed the spinal block was not for me.

I went into the pre-op room calm and all I remember the anaesthetist saying was " Here's a gin and tonic in your hand " :) I woke up in the recovery room with two lovely nurses monitoring me and checking my stats. By lunchtime I was back on the ward and I was put on oxygen, this was the first time I was aware that my blood pressure was low. I was also put on a morphine pump with a button. The next day was a bit of a blur to be honest. The morphine completely wiped me out and I didn't like the sensation at all. I asked to be taken off it and would use codeine and paracetamol as my pain control.

My surgical pain was not half as bad as I thought it would be however my swelling was worse. I developed a red rash around the dressing and it started to spread down my leg. I felt as if my whole leg was on fire and I became really distressed about it. I kept asking the doctor on duty and nurses if they thought it was an infection but they reassured me that it was far to soon to develop an infection and it was no doubt a reaction to the surgery.

I was also xrayed on day three and my surgeon came to see me and said the new hip was in excellent place. I showed him the rash and he said he would organise blood tests but felt it was down to the surgery and nothing else. Then a light bulb went off in my head and I thought " stupid me, it's the dressing that I'm allergic too) so I asked them to change it. Within hours the redness calmed down and the burning started to ease.

Other things that happened are a bit of a blur as I slept quite a bit. I was finally discharged on Friday and I have a community team of nurses that will come out every day for the next few days. My blood test results have showed that I'm anaemic and my haemoglobin count is 10, if it goes down to 8 then I will need a transfusion. I'm starting my iron supplements today so fingers crossed I should improve.

My walking is coming on a treat and the swelling is going down, thanks to a very large ice pack that I use every hour. I'm not eating very well at the moment but they said that was due to the anaemia as well as the low blood pressure. I'm so happy I'm home and I have dissolvable stitches because of my metal allergy.

I will keep you all posted and dear Butterfly, I've been thinking of you and can promise you the operation is no where near as bad as we imagined. That feeling of relief when it's over is just wonderful. Love and peace to you all and have a fab weekend. I'm having my hair washed today by my sister and can't wait ! :kittykiss:
 
Hi Red Shoe, glad you are feeling so well. Seems I have had a really good run compared to others. Although I did have low blood pressure 85/48 average but felt fine and high heart rate. We are a funny lot. In a few weeks we won't know ourselves. :egypdance:
 
Red Shoe, glad to hear you're home and comfortable! Just remember, it could have been worse. Sounds like you're following the mantra. That seems to be the single best advise here. Then add all the other motivation and support and you not ink end up with a great new hip but some new friends as well!

Keep up the good work, I'm 10 days behind you!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
 
So glad you are home, @RedShoe. It's pretty amazing that no one figured out that the rash might be an allergy to the bandages. Good for you for working it out yourself!
The leg swelling is annoying-I felt like I was dragging around a tree trunk for a couple of weeks. The ice really does help, so I'm glad you're on it. I had trouble elevating my leg on pillows at first-couldn't lift it that high, but my husband put a couple under the end of the bed, so I didn't have to put my leg on a tottering pile of pillows. It also helps.
Welcome to the club!
 
I'm starting my iron supplements today so fingers crossed I should improve.​
Hi Red Shoe, Just a quick note, in case you weren't told...but the iron pills are very constipating..so make sure you keep up with prune juice or something similar so that you aren't miserable.
You sound wonderful. Here's to you having continued smoothe sailing.:cheers:
 
welcome home! I didn't have an allergic reaction to the dressing but every spot on my body that there was tape my skin dried out...I had a lot of tape! Take it easy for a few days, rest, maybe get some take out of your favorite food to encourage a good meal, after some good Thai takeout my appetite was back!
 
Hi @Redshoe, Glad to hear you are home now. Thank you for sharing your story with us. It will help those of us who have not crossed over yet. I hope you are feeling better each day.
 
Bless you all, I didn't want to go into the gory details about not being able to go to the loo for five days and then giving birth to a food baby. My nurse that came out today said I should have given it a name :rotfl: It's not all plain sailing is it when you have the op but at least it's successful for nearly everyone. I'm having a Chinese takeaway tonight, that may get my appetite back. I really don't want a transfusion as I've decided I'm staying away from hospitals for a long time x
 
@RedShoe I am SOO glad you are home from the hospital, and it is so good to hear from you. Sounds like you had kind of a scary experience. Did you sleep most of the time in hospital? I hope I do that so t he time goes fast. Is your bone on bone pain pretty much gone? I have some pre-op stuff next week and I have convinced myself that they will find something AWFUL (lung cancer) wrong with me and I can't have the surgery and will die an awful death. How's that for grim? Been sort of down all week and thinking and worrying too much, and I know it is not helpful and also irrational, but I can't seem to stop. Also have some major muscle soreness from using the walker. I dont mean to sound so grim,and I am sorry. I bet you are glad to have the surgery behind you!!

Love to you, and I am so glad you're back and got through this pretty much OK. Get your appetite back -- try some chocolate cake -- YUM!!
 
Butterfly, I was exactly the same as you dear lass . I'd convinced myself that they would fine something wrong with me and not do the op. it's just our mind playing tricks with us and that's normal. Please try and stay calm and I promise you that you will feel so relived when its done. My bone on bone pain has gone but I am in pain with the operation site. I can cope with that as I know that will heal. I've cried a lot but that's because my blood count is low and the meds have made me a bit down. I've also laughed a lot and feel on top of the world that its over. Hang on in there Butterfly, I'm holding your hand each day xxxxxxxxx
 
can I get some vanilla ice cream with my chocolate cake...you HAVE NO IDEA how badly I want cake right now. So trust me the appetite will come back. I had a nice cup of chai tea this morning, my favorite, but for about 3 weeks after surgery it tasted terrible to me...this morning it was yummy!
 
anniemg thankfully I'm taking liquid iron and not the tablets. The hospital told me your body only absorbs 15% of the iron from a tablet. I couldn't cope with being anymore constipated than I am now :shocked: xx
 
flowergirl thanks for the kind words :) I haven't felt like food at all today and had to force myself to eat, however I did manage a piece of cake xxx
 
Red Shoe I hope you are improving day by day. Are you feeling better as you go along? You are in my thoughts and prayers, of course, I'm glad you've got the surgery behind you and can now recover.

I have that pre-op stuff this week and I've really worked myself up into a tizzy about it. Can't seem to calm down about it. That's about all the news, I am bored to tears because I can't do much of anything but stay in the recliner. Is your pain well controlled? Are you able to sleep? I'm glad your sister is with you. Does she live nearby, or did she come from out-of-town to be with you?

Peace and love, and all the best to you

Milli
 
Hi Red Shoe...sorry its been a bit of a rough time but it is great to hear from you!!!!!

I hope you continue to go from strength to strength!!!!
 
Hope you are feeling better, and are getting your appetite back. You need protein to heal so do your best.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom