PKR Red Rider's 60k mile tune up

Great photos and well done on the walking. Where in Switzerland? The photos look a bit like Lauterbrunnen.

@RedRider wow! Great walking area and such astounding views on all sides! I love that area. We went to the lower Engardine this year- just as beautiful but few foreign tourists. Love Switzerland.

Fitbit update: 990 miles on the new knee to date. Projected out to 25 years (hopefully), that's over 25k miles!
ImageUploadedByBoneSmart Forum1443799556.247050.jpg

Has anyone ever used a "Jacobs Ladder" before?
ai.ytimg.com_vi_vcVUOd_MSfk_hqdefault.jpg

My gym just got one and I've been hitting it hard ever since. It kicked my butt the first few weeks but is still an amazing workout. The best part is the low-impact on your knees. @trailspud you would love this.

@RedRider

We don't have one of those at my gym(s), but I've seen them online. A long time ago (30+ years), I used a Versa Climber for cross training...it was tough.

I have purposely stayed away from the stair climbing machines because of the angle of impact...just as a precaution...and climb the treadmill at 15 degrees for uphill simulation. The ladder machine looks a bit kinder on the knees. Yeh. I'd sweat all over that :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Geez, my 1 year anniversary blew right by and I didn't even get a chance to do the happy dance!

To celebrate the occasion, my wife and I took a huge day hike on a section of the PCT, and set a new record for myself:
ImageUploadedByBoneSmart Forum1448069203.251749.jpg

As my leg strength builds, I'm getting a slight pop when bending under heavy load. My OS says a tight ITL band and sure enough, it's very tender on the foam roller. What do I do here, keep rolling it until it loosens up? Any particular stretches I could try?

Well done on your 30,000 steps. I haven't matched that but today walked 23,000 steps on snow in the Austrian Tyrol so feeling pretty pleased! Hope your IT band issue settles quickly.

Jogging...

Taking a stab at it this month, focusing on the 3 "S's":

Stride: re-evaluating my entire mechanics, looking for a smoother, more gliding stride. Watching a lot of Youtube videos on optimal form, especially the "100-up" technique.
Surface: sticking to soft, plush trails; no concrete or asphalt.
Shoes: Upgraded to a comfortable pair of running shoes with lots of cushion.

The first few runs went alright, but I'm was sore afterwards. I can't really tell whether it's from my knee or just the fact that I haven't ran in over a year. A few more trips will eventually differentiate it out and I'll decide at that point whether I want to keep jogging or not.

@RedRider
Good 3-prong plan. I think you will be fine running a bit like that. What type of shoes? How far? Keep us posted.

I stopped in early December then did one (7k) run in January. The frozen surface did seem to cause some soreness. I've been doing some short uphill run intervals on the treadmill (1-3 mts usually totaling 1-2 miles/session). I plan to start up again outside on the cinder track with a weekly run sometime in the spring. Need my winter weight down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never been great at running---I have a heavy frame---when I went to the bone scan, they told me that my bones are 175% of normal for a woman my age. He said, You really do have big bones!" So there, all those folks that thought I was just plain fat!!!

In reality though, I have always been a long distance person and not a sprinter. I would not want to run on my knee---just me---I do a lot of biking and really I get the same feeling as i get running---but, back to that old one, I am not a fast runner!!

1 year, 7 month update.

Knee: Continues to get stronger. Whoever said room for improvement has a finite span is wrong. I continue to see gradual improvements even at this point post-op.

Activity: Still jogging, although limited to casual trail runs. Lot's of hiking, lot's of cycling. I tried pilates for the first time last week and realized I had muscles I didn't think I had. It was great for my knee though.

Pain: Hardly. Any discomfort I experience is independent of activity. I do find it hard to stand on my knee.

Upcoming: John Muir Trail in July. 211 miles of backpacking across the Sierra Nevada. My main focus is to minimize backpack weight so I'm bringing my wife.:heehee:

Would I do it again? Probably, yes. Again, I had a limit before while now I am only getting stronger and progressing every day.:ok:

I am so glad to hear from you---and that you are doing so well. My husband has spinal issues and when we go to the grocery store, he takes the little sack of stuff and tells me to pick up the heavy bags!!! It always makes us giggle.

I hiked into the china wall in the Bob Marshall wilderness last summer---it was a long trip and i was really strict about my weight. I had 40 pounds---mostly food which got eaten along the way!! I felt like a Budwieser horse at the end of the day---I would run around feeling so light for about 20 min!!!

@RedRider Good luck on your John Muir walk and can we see some photos when you come back? My partial is wonderful too and I am so glad that I had it done. Like yours, mine just keeps on improving.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
FirstroundSAFS
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom