THR Post surgery

I guess I over did it yesterday working out I woke up this morning and my groin is stiff

Sounds like you know what you did. You’ve officially entered the ODIC (Over Did It Club) Rest and Icing everywhere that hurts will get you out of the club soon. :wink:
Good Luck and Happy Weekend!
@ajhines19

is it normal I been getting pain at and around the scar

It takes time to recover when you've overdone it and stressed the muscles or soft tissues, @ajhines19. Give it more time.

It’s weird that my incision is sensitive now 6 weeks later

@ajhines19 It might be that the new scar tissue is being irritated by your clothing. I found that to be true for me when I finally got out of my pjs and back to wearing my usual jeans. Wearing long legged undies helped protect the newly healed scars.

Anyone’s surgery leg shorter than the other

Last edited:
Yes. Muscles naturally shrink from lack of use. After healing, there's plenty of time too rebuild.

@mendogal sorry I meant shorter if anyone’s surgery leg was shorter than the other

Anyone’s surgery leg shorter than the other
Yes, this does happen.

If you’re wondering if this may be the case for you, you aren’t the first to feel this sensation as many do post op. In most cases it eases with time. We advise giving it 3-4 months as it can take that amount of time for things to balance. If at that point, you are still concerned we suggest you visit a reputable podiatrist or PT for a measurement.

Here's an article from our Library Leg length differential - LLD.

@Layla I went and seen a chiropractor and he did X-ray and some foot test where I stand on a like X-ray and he said my surgery leg is 3cm shorter than the other

my surgery leg is 3cm shorter than the other
My LLD post-THR was even great than that, but the difference eventually went away -- as it does for most people -- as I regained muscle tone in the surgical leg.

As Layla said, give it more time. It's much too early in recovery to assume this won't work itself out with time.

Have you increased exercise/activity? Cut back on icing?

Are you having rain or inclement weather? My hip is like a barometer & rain coming in gives me some aches, not in my hip but more in buttocks area.
I have screws & rods in my ankle & that aches when weather changes.
When its 75 & sunny nothing hurts! Go figure.
Or you may have overdone something.
In any case take a chill pill for a few hours & ice & see if it helps.

At not even two months out, you're going to experience discomfort and pain, which is often attributed to overactivity or aggressive PT. You have to find a balance as you're healing and it's not always easy since our limitations remain pretty fluid as we're healing. myglasshalf full raises a valid possibility in regard to barometric pressure if your weather has been unfavorable. I did a little research on the topic awhile back -

Is It True You Can Feel Weather Changes In Your Joint?

For some people, yes. It's especially true for patients with arthritic joints who have not had a joint replacement, but also the case even after you have a new prosthetic in place.

Weather changes are predicted by changes in barometric pressure, which is the weight of the air pressing against the earth's surface. These changes can trigger pain and stiffness in the area of the prosthesis. The activity of bone adapting and growing around the metal leads to the sensitivity felt during weather and pressure changes. These sensations normally disappear within one to two years following surgery.

Rest, Ice and feel better soon!
@ajhines19

It’s just weird I was having no pain and now I’m having a lot of pain and my groin is tight

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Hessian