PKR Red Rider's 60k mile tune up

Clocked nearly 30 miles on foot this weekend. At one point I sat down for a break, and when I got back up I had a sharp pain in my knee (focused around the front of the implant). No swelling, no heat.

It only hurts now when I straighten my leg; no pain on bending. The pain is similar to my recovery days when the physical therapist would put pressure on it to improve extension. It feels a bit better after 2 days, but still concerning that I may have done some damage. Could this related to scar tissue?

Oh, and here's some pics from my recent trip to Rocky Mountain National Park:
ai10.photobucket.com_albums_a125_joshuakin_IMG_3004.jpg

ai10.photobucket.com_albums_a125_joshuakin_IMG_3139.jpg

ai10.photobucket.com_albums_a125_joshuakin_IMG_3125.jpg

ai10.photobucket.com_albums_a125_joshuakin_IMG_3108.jpg

Wow, Beautiful! I recently had some weird pains in my first TKR knee after a weekend of steep hikes, and only about half your distance. My legs felt noticeably fatigued, and then my left knee twisted or cramped or something in my sleep. Kind of horribly. Thus began two weeks of knee pain every time I sat down or stood back up. I was getting worried, but the problem resolved completely with a little extra rest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the photos - what beautiful scenery!

Like Clipless I have the odd niggle with my knee if I walk a long way but if I rest it resolves pretty quickly. Hope yours is soon back to normal.

Loved the pics. I'm planning on going to RMNP next summer. Probably hiking from the west side.

Probably just a little overuse pain. I hope it's all gone now.

I think it is far more likely that your hamstrings are screaming at you!!! Give them a chance to recover before you tackle another big hike.

My knees are nine years old and I rarely think of them--but after a 20 mile hike this summer, they gave me grief for a week or so. I used Aspercream on the muscles--quads and hamstrings.

Hey folks, it's been some time but I have questions about implant loosening.

Of course I'm probably freaking myself out, but my knee has been unusually painful for the past couple weeks; more focused on my tibia and below. This worries me since horror stories of aseptic loosening always start in that area. No swelling/heat though, just painful. At what point do I let it rest a little longer vs make a MD appt?

Of note, my knee has been performing wonderfully up to this point. I've been tearing up hiking trails and singletrack relentlessly for the past two years!

Josh, Your recovery is inspirational, I hope you stay strong. I just read your thread, and it sounds good. I'm almost 9 weeks out and sometimes feel discouraged. My goal is to follow in your footsteps.

@RedRider

Been awhile. I'm not on here much, but occasionally get e-mail notices on certain threads.

I hope it's just overuse and some tissue irritation, and suspect that's the most simple explanation.

Good to hear you have been well and active. I'll try to follow this thread.

Hey Josh long time bud! Just sitting here waiting for a dental appointment and got a notification of your new post. First time in a while.

I went on a 9 miler about 6 weeks ago and a full 2 days after knee got VERY angry and swelled up to the size of a cantaloupe. I freaked out, but stayed patient. It took about 2 weeks to get back to normal and then I was back hiking and biking.

From everything I've read there is usually some associated swelling and instability no?

Probably just some weird pain of "unknown etiology". I would just just take it easy and take a wait and see approach with a healthy dose of denial ;) .

Seriously I hope it's nothing, but these implants do have an expiration date so you never know, but waiting a week won't hurt anything.

Hope everything else is going great for you. I'm just living life and busy as heck with my business and family.

Edit: I just thought of something else. Possibly some residual arthritis? I have suspected that my doctor perhaps didn't or couldn't remove all of the arthritis in my knee because I still have flare ups pain and tenderness in my lateral compartment from time to time that reminds me of the pain I used to have prior to the knee replacement. The lack of swelling you described kind of clued me in direction. I know osteoarthritis flare ups sometimes present without swelling.

It makes sense to take a rest for a week or so and see how you are doing. I think that I would check with my OS just to make sure.

I agree with Kelly (skigirl). Rest and see if the tibial pain settles. If it doesn't, do go and see your surgeon, to get the implant checked.

Josh, Your recovery is inspirational, I hope you stay strong. I just read your thread, and it sounds good. I'm almost 9 weeks out and sometimes feel discouraged. My goal is to follow in your footsteps.
Thanks @bill 3/20 I appreciate that. Focus on building strength, and you'll get to your goals. I occasionally trail-run with my wife. Like you, I won't be doing marathons anytime soon but it puts a big smile on my face.

@RedRider

Been awhile. I'm not on here much, but occasionally get e-mail notices on certain threads.

I hope it's just overuse and some tissue irritation, and suspect that's the most simple explanation.

Good to hear you have been well and active. I'll try to follow this thread.
Hi @trailspud great to hear from you. Got any big trips planned this summer? I was in Death Valley last weekend, backpacked into an old ghost town and explored for a few days (google Panamint City). Lots of climbing and descents though, thank goodness for trekking poles.

Hey Josh long time bud! Just sitting here waiting for a dental appointment and got a notification of your new post. First time in a while.

I went on a 9 miler about 6 weeks ago and a full 2 days after knee got VERY angry and swelled up to the size of a cantaloupe. I freaked out, but stayed patient. It took about 2 weeks to get back to normal and then I was back hiking and biking.

From everything I've read there is usually some associated swelling and instability no?

Probably just some weird pain of "unknown etiology". I would just just take it easy and take a wait and see approach with a healthy dose of denial ;) .

Seriously I hope it's nothing, but these implants do have an expiration date so you never know, but waiting a week won't hurt anything.

Hope everything else is going great for you. I'm just living life and busy as heck with my business and family.

Edit: I just thought of something else. Possibly some residual arthritis? I have suspected that my doctor perhaps didn't or couldn't remove all of the arthritis in my knee because I still have flare ups pain and tenderness in my lateral compartment from time to time that reminds me of the pain I used to have prior to the knee replacement. The lack of swelling you described kind of clued me in direction. I know osteoarthritis flare ups sometimes present without swelling.

Hey Tom! Thanks for checking in on me. You make a good point; waiting around a bit isn't going to hurt anything. It would have to get exponentially worse before I even utter the "R" word (revision). A few miles on the mtn bike this morning really helped though, its feeling a lot better.

Sounds like you're getting around alright, how's the kneecap? Last we talked that was the area giving you the most issues.

I hope all is well, that kiddo of yours must be getting big! We've got one our the way in July, our first. Feel free to convey any newborn horror stories; I feel like I've heard everyone story at this point.

What beautiful photos! That's on my bucket list. I hope you knee settles down and it's not loose. Does it feel lose or just sore?

Hey Tom! Thanks for checking in on me. You make a good point; waiting around a bit isn't going to hurt anything. It would have to get exponentially worse before I even utter the "R" word (revision). A few miles on the mtn bike this morning really helped though, its feeling a lot better.

Sounds like you're getting around alright, how's the kneecap? Last we talked that was the area giving you the most issues.

I hope all is well, that kiddo of yours must be getting big! We've got one our the way in July, our first. Feel free to convey any newborn horror stories; I feel like I've heard everyone story at this point.

Well, first thing, congrats on the pending new arrival. Truly a blessing....and very stressful at times!:sos: ....of course this goes without saying, but your life will never be the same. I pray that he/she will not be colicky. :heehee:

If you have a little girl you can look forward to moments like this.
0529171405b-1.jpg

Yes, the knee. It is still an ongoing struggle. The pain under the kneecap is still there, but has been lessening over time. Or I am just getting used to the pain. Complicating matters, I have a condition called Arthrogenic Muscle Inhibition (AMI). It's essentially chronic quad weakness. The way it was explained to me, since I have had several surgeries to the same knee so the nerves may have difficulty regenerating. If I am not consistent with exercising, really everyday, the quad muscles atrophy very quickly.

Other than that, life is good. I let a friend of mine talk me into climbing Mt. Whitney in September, so I have much work to do to get myself in shape! Planning a day hike summit, so 22 miles in one day! Really more than a little insane, but has to be done!

I have a condition called Arthrogenic Muscle Inhibition (AMI). It's essentially chronic quad weakness.
I was reading up on AMI, very interesting. Has TENS therapy helped? Very frustrating that despite all the strength training, it isn't an effective modality.
Sent you an email about Whitney.

@RedRider 12 mile hike today on the Boise Front. Cool summer day. High 70s when I finished. I am hitting summer slow due to some nagging foot and hamstring issues plus coming off a long winter, spring of longer work hours. I've been doing a short run roughly every week. So, slooww. Nothing over 5m. Hoping by late July, I'll do this 22 mile loop in the Sawtooths. Hope you are well.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024