PKR Red Rider's 60k mile tune up

You've probably heard this so often that you're sick of it - But 3 months is really still early in the recovery marathon.

It is normal to have periods when your progress seems to plateau. I'd prefer to cal it consolidation. You'll continue to make slow and steady progress.

You are probably right when you say that going back to work so early did slow down your progress. Never mind, you'll still get there.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry it's not where you'd hoped - I, too, am likely to go back at 6 weeks - it is what it is, we have jobs and I believe for PKR that 6 weeks is the standard allotment for the procedure. Set, no doubt! By someone who never had it done.

Keep your spirits up, you'll get there!
 
Sorry if I'm sounding like a "debbie downer". I should clarify that overall I'm still happy I had did this and relatively speaking, it hasn't been too bad. Granted, I'm not doing cartwheels or climbing Everest yet, but on the other hand I haven't hindered my recovery or caused any further damage. Gotta find optimism, even from the little things right?
 
Right! What level of tramadol are you on? Maybe if you stepped down a notch it would still control your pain and be less zombie like.

I wonder if you didn't have a pretty easy recovery, as I have had thus far, and assumed you'd continue improving at the same pace? I can see myself getting carried away by what I'll be able to do "soon" and am trying to scale that back and appreciate what I can do today, without pain! (ok, well there is the perocet to consider, I suppose I am in pain, I just don't know it) ANYWAY, you know what I'm saying. I am guessing you are doing a whole lot of things you wouldn't have been able to do 3 months ago - enjoy it, the rest will come!
 
I can see myself getting carried away by what I'll be able to do "soon" and am trying to scale that back and appreciate what I can do today, without pain!

This is true, it's all relative I guess. Instead of reflecting on what we could do with a bad knee, maybe it's best to start from ground-zero (the day after surgery). We're in it for the long-haul so there's no need to contrast the past. It's like dating someone who continually compares you to their ex. Anyways, enough philosophy.

I'm taking 100 mg of tramadol a day, which I think is my "sweet spot" between zombieland and conscious presence. My doctor recently switched me from naproxen to mobic. I haven't noticed much of a difference but now I only have to take one NSAID a day. Between those two, icing and an evening jack-n-coke, I'm sitting pretty for now.
 
You're getting there. Each knee is so different. You may find over the next couple of months you notice a lot of improvement in comfort level.
 
Hit my "lunch-break" workout for the first time in over 3 months today. Being away from the gym so long, it was surreal to fall back to my regular routine. Everything from the fatigue mats in the weight room to the staircase leading down to the gym felt different...in a good way!

I highly recommend a pre-surgery workout to assess your current condition. It provides a snapshot in time and is a great way to contrast all the changes that occur. For example, I used to dread the elliptical for the pain it brought. Today, I clocked 20 minutes on it with ease. My knee is still a little sore BUT no pain in the lateral compartment like before.
 
Another "tapering-down" week on the tramadol. I'm feeling good about stepping down my dose once again; lets just hope all those freaky side effects stay at bay.

Prescrire Int. 2003 Jun;12(65):99-100.
Withdrawal syndrome and dependence: tramadol too.
[No authors listed]
Abstract
(1) Tramadol carries a risk of dependence and abuse, even in patients with no history of drug abuse. (2) Abrupt withdrawal of treatment with tramadol, even at the recommended dose, can induce withdrawal symptoms. (3) In practice, patients must be advised to stop their treatment gradually, especially after lengthy treatment periods. Prescription renewals are a good opportunity to re-assess the need for tramadol. Use of this opioid analgesic should not be trivialised.
Br J Gen Pract. 2000 May; 50(454): 406.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Made it over the hump of my tramadol detox and finally had a good nights sleep last night. Tuesday night was by far the worst:
[Bonesmart.org] Red Rider's 60k mile tune up
 
...and a scar update. It's basically healed up, just a little numbness laterally that I hope will dissipate over time:
[Bonesmart.org] Red Rider's 60k mile tune up
 
Excellent!! I'm looking forward to that day, myself. Going well back in the gym?
 
Gym has been good, thanks. I feel I'm not as productive as I was but just being there gives me a good feeling.
So week 1 sans tramadol is complete. I'm riding only on meloxicam and Tylenol now. Granted it's not as easy-going as 200mg/day of tramadol, but my brain is no longer hazy and the zombie has departed.

It feels like I don't get as much bang for my buck lately when icing my knee. Maybe it's the decrease in swelling? I'm not exactly sure..
 
Huge milestone in Zion NP last weekend; hiked nearly 10 miles over 2 days! Needless to say the knee got a good workout.
[Bonesmart.org] Red Rider's 60k mile tune up
[Bonesmart.org] Red Rider's 60k mile tune up
 
Awesome!!! That's why we did this - congratulations!
 
Great news to hear your partial is going well. Mines great too. I'm so glad I had it done. Walked 4.5 miles today with no pain, soreness etc.
keep up the good work!
 
@RedRider

You do a much better job of posting photos. I had a fun, tough hike today, but I always forget to take some snapshots :)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom