PKR Red Rider's 60k mile tune up

[Bonesmart.org] Red Rider's 60k mile tune up
@RedRider, you are less than 3 months post op---and I suspect that you are doing a great deal more than you think you are as far as your knee is concerned. Are you still elevating and icing? If not, you might get back to it for a while. Even though you had a partial, your knee still underwent just about the same amount of trauma it would have with a total. Complete recovery is going to take a full year---and you can't rush the knee---so listen to what it is telling you. Swelling means you are doing more than the knee wants to do. Give it a break and lots of TLC.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
The mountain biking is even better @Clipless ! Lots of singletrack and plenty of "loop" opportunities. I'm still not ready for the carbon-fiber horse yet but soon enough...

I've mtb'd Jasper trail there in AB & a loop around Blair Valley- found it tough going in places thick sand. On a fatbike it could be awesome!
 
P.s. Just one extra-strength Tylenol tablet (500 mg) helps me a lot. Others take two and/or combine with Ibuprofen with good results.
 
At physical therapy today, out of nowhere, flexed 136 degrees. Knee just kept going and going, I was really surprised. For kicks and giggles, they measured my good knee, which was at 145. I think I can get an extra ten somewhere.
 
A very odd scenario over the last few days. I ran out of tramadol last Friday and had trouble getting a refill so essentially I went without it for 4 days. The pain was manageable, but I was struck with a swell of emotions that I couldn't really understand. It wasn't until recently that I read about the effects of tramadol on serotonin and norepinephrine which gave the emotional roller coaster some context.
Needless to say, it was an alarming experience; I should've been more aware of the drugs side effects.
 
Good to know - I wouldn't have expected that from Tramadol. Sounds like everything else is going well?
 
As you found out, Red Rider, Tramadol is one of the drugs that can give you some weird symptoms if you stop it too suddenly. It's best to cut down gradually.
 
As you found out, Red Rider, Tramadol is one of the drugs that can give you some weird symptoms if you stop it too suddenly. It's best to cut down gradually.
...or not wait til the last minute for refills. Lesson learned.
 
@RedRider. Just reading your comment and would like to say the same thing happened to me. I read that they were also a serotonin uptake inhibitor which works the same as an antidepressant. Interesting I thought. So when we stop these suddenly as I did as I ran out I became extremely emotional and cried all the time.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
And on that note, getting in to a doctor here can take a week to get an appointment and I don't see OS for another five weeks.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ohhhhh yes @ Redrider and still do. Problem now is most of that is out of my system but I am now having quad muscle spasms, flexion is worse and so is extension. Moral of that story I think is.... I still need pain killers even though I take panadeine forte and mobix. They're just not cutting it. The pain in my knee is not just tightness it's sharp pain that's stopping me from vending and straightening. I didn't have these issues until I stopped the tramadol. Sigh.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
That would be bending not vending


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
And on that note, getting in to a doctor here can take a week to get an appointment and I don't see OS for another five weeks.
[Bonesmart.org] Red Rider's 60k mile tune up :heehee:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Uhuh @Celle. That would require a crystal ball to know issues that may crop up before they do lol


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I've decided to stick with the tramadol until my pain subsides. I'll deal with the insomnia and emotional stuff later. Unfortunately, I'm not at a point where I can steer clear of pain meds just yet. Tramadol makes me feel zombie-like but the reality is that it's way less worse than oxycodone or hydrocodone.

Hang in there @shelli22, I'm sure things will be better once your pain is controlled. I see you've had a partial AND a total. You can provide a lot of information here given your experience with both procedures; there's always people looking for answers about both.
 
Uhuh @Celle. That would require a crystal ball to know issues that may crop up before they do lol
Sure, but you can count pills and make sure you have enough to last until your appointment. It just means that you have to think a week ahead, so that you don't run out.

While my doctor's surgery runs a similar system to yours, they do keep a couple of appointments each day for people with an urgent problem.
 
@RedRider I think that's a great idea as I'm really hating this pain right now. It's getting worse. @Celle yes I concede you are right. I'm a bit over the whole thing. I'm going to make an appointment even if I have to wait a week.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Coming up on my 3 month mark this Friday. Knee is not going to be at 80% like my doctor informed me. It's more like 50-60% right now. I feel my expectations weren't managed correctly. This has become frustrating.

Still on tramadol working on a slow taper off of it. I haven't seen many physical improvements for over a month, just a lot of weakness/pain issues still. I did start back to work 6 weeks ago so that may explain my slow progress.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom