PKR Recovery!

@Roy Gardiner you are my cycling inspiration!
:) Well I suppose someone has to be.

On Mallorca right now, fairly easy 50 miles today. Knees no problem whatsoever.
Ooooh Mallorca is on my list. Yay for those good knees!

I was riding the other day, some hard hills, husband asked "how is your knee" Great, I said, it is the rest of me in my outa shapeness!

Liz
 
Happy 6 month anniversary to my shiny new medial PKR!

All good here, started a running program with the guidance of my PT (damn lemme tell you how good it feels to run pain free!!) And yes was OK'd by ortho though he wasn't sure running is such a great sport, not from my new knee standpoint but from the wear and tear on other joints. Been cycling too, a bit crash-wary so no riding in groups, and have avoided any technical descents. Doing my strength program, pilates and some yoga, the posterior knee pain is resolving slowly (if I kneel and straighten it I feel like someone shoved a knife in the back of my knee) that seems to be happening less, and I avoid kneeling!

Anyway, happy with my result, and hope everyone has a nice smooth recovery, whatever you have fixed!

Liz
 
Ooooh Mallorca is on my list
Roy, that looks like a great trip! I have done some of the Thomson trips but now I think they might be a bit much, lots of hammerheads (me 10 years ago..)

Liz
 
Ciclosol has rides at many levels; group 1 at 19-20mph, group 6 with many coffee stops and 12mph. Pick your level!
 
Hope everyone had a good summer, and is healing well from assorted replacements or surgeries.

I'm not quite a year, (nov '23) post Rt Medial PKR, and all is going smoothly, I have been back to cycling, running (with guidance from PT and a running form evaluation to get me ready) doing yoga, pilates, and essentially doing all or more than I did a year ago at this time. Only bothered by some sharp posterior knee jabs, which are mercifully brief, and I have gotten on the left side too. Interesting I get them when I straighten my knee after sitting for a period of time or kneeling, but not when I'm cycling or running. At one of my ortho appointments doc didn't know what to make of it. I may go back to PT to see what I can do.

Speaking of PT, I had a great relationship with my PT, I never felt pushed to do something that wasn't right & I trusted her judgement, also with her guidance I got back into running which I never thought I could do (ok'd by ortho with caveat of listen to your body...). Obviously we are all unique, but for me PT was a huge benefit. I did have a home PT visit and the PT said I could stop the pain meds...this was post op day 4 so, uh not such a good idea.

So that's my story!

Liz
 
And here I am, one year later. Time flys for sure. I think after the first few months, which were, well, awful, things got better really quickly, in fact it seemed like one day things were just a whole lot better and I was sleeping well.

All is well, I don't even think about my knee anymore, I'm cycling, running 10ks, hiking, doing pilates and yoga.

I still get a twinge behind my knee, or in my calf or hamstring but that seems to be less frequent and intense.

Had my one year followup and doc was happy with the outcome. He kind of cringed that I was running, not that it would ruin my knee, but hard on other joints---but since I don't have any issues with the other joints, no sign of arthritis in the hips so I'm going to do what makes me happy.

I feel very fortunate that my recovery went smoothly (or at least as smoothly as one could expect) and I hope the best for all of you in your replacement journeys!

Liz
 
Lovely update, Liz!
Thanks so much for stopping by. I believe your words will inspire those following behind you.
I am happy for you that you're doing so well. I hope you have a great holiday season.
Many blessings to you in 2025!
@Cyclegal
 
:loveshwr:The kind of update we love to read!!! Best wishes into year 2!
 
Really great report. It is good to have success stories, as sometimes people drift away from BoneSmart once they are healed and it then weights the stories on the more negative side.
 
Back
Top Bottom