PKR Recovery!

I am still not up to doing much cooking. Yay for knitting! I am getting lots of crochet done too. Sometimes I have help. Gideon likes to "hold" the yarn for me!
 
Your recovery seems to be moving along nicely, Liz. Thankfully your sleep has improved and the kitty bite is healing. The energy drain is real, but only temporary.
It's a special day...two months to date since your surgery. Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a nice week!
@Cyclegal
 
just started to feel like I could do more ambitious things, like cooking, but I am surprised how wiped out I get
Go easy. I found standing for long periods much harder than walking long distances.
Even at several months post op I found standing in a gallery or cooking harder than a 5 mile walk.
You said in an earlier post you are hoping that your operated knee will match your unoperated knee at 160 degrees. At 14 months my surgery knee is 150 plus but still a few degrees off my unoperated side. It varies according to the position.
Lying on my back I can bend both knees to almost touch my backside. But in a standing quad stretch I can only hold my unoperated leg. I also don't put my full weight back in child's pose.
I think there will always be a few degrees of difference and I don't want to push it.
I think you will probably get pretty close.
I think it also depends a bit on the surgery and type of implant. Some allow more movement than others. I read somewhere that in countries like India ( where patients want to return to squatting) they use implants that allow more range. ( But presumably there must be disadvantages- like less stability??). It might be worth asking your surgeon what the most ROM is for your implant.
I had a PKR ( Oxford fixed lateral) and the range seems pretty good.
 
@EalingGran funny how standing, or sitting in one position is tough! Walking feels good so yay for that.

I wonder if the end ROM also has to do with general flexibility, my guess is that eventually I will be able to do yogic squats and child's pose. Pre op I lost the ability to do those, which I think was due to chronic swelling. Will check on the likely ROM that I can get. I know it was 140 in the OR.

@CatieViv hahaha the cats are helpful with the yarn!

I appreciate all the help from this board, I picture you guys cheering me on as I hit milestones, and reassuring me when I get to those low points!

Liz
 
9 weeks today!

Plugging along with PT and working on my rt quad that needs a lot of work, amazing how soft that got! To be fair it was going downhill pre op....

I am very close to the "this is better than before surgery" but the sleep issues still plague me. I get way restless, but at least I fall back asleep. I'm tapering off the gabapentin, really was only on a smidgen. I didn't like how groggy it made me feel in the morning. I feel more rested when I don't take it, even though I feel like I move around a lot at night. As I'm doing more my legs are sore (not necessarily my knee) and that makes me a bit restless.

My incision looks good, putting Mepiform on to help the scar, ROM is at target but still working to be able to do yogic childs pose without a yoga ball under my fanny.

I will graduate from PT in 2 weeks then transition to home & gym program, and ramp up the cycling with guidance from the wise sages @Axx72 @Roy Gardiner who offered advice over on the cycling forum.

Liz
 
I appreciate all the help from this board, I picture you guys cheering me on as I hit milestones, and reassuring me when I get to those low points!
I so agree. And it’s funny how I feel like I know so many of the people here. Early on in my recovery I remember one time my husband noticed me tearing up while reading a thread from someone that was recounting some mean things that had been said to them. I was admittedly pretty raw at the time and had to take a minute before I could tell him what had upset me. So yes the sympathy and cheers are very real!
 
We appreciate you sharing your journey and we are all cheering you on. You're doing great!
I do hope your sleep regulates soon. :fingersx: Enjoy the rest of the week.
@Cyclegal
 
10 weeks! Exercising my patience muscle, doing more strength work at PT, and will graduate to home program with my last session next Tuesday. Ups and downs for sure, my knee is a good barometer of weather change, don't even need to look at the Weather Channel to see if it is going to rain. Still achy at night which bothers my sleep, so I went back on gabapentin 100 mg at bedtime (this is the same dose my cat was prescribed for long car trips so she didn't yowl and go to the bathroom in her carrier...). The gabapentin really helps with pain at night.

I'm in the get off all the meds club and maybe need to rethink that. I did foolishly think at post op day 3 I could stop the oxycontin and that didn't go well.

Slow progress, new aches are traded for old ones, but nothing really painful, just bothersome except for the nighttime aching. I'm hoping at that magic 3 month mark that will be diminished.

I'm back to Pilates, some hiking with some elevation, can go up and down stairs like a pro, stationary bike with the warning "don't work up a sweat" , I must admit to getting "dewy"!

Another member posted what was helpful for recovery so here goes:

1. Helpful understanding spouse/ partner/ (Most important)

2. Walker and grab bars in shower / tub and a strap to lift leg into tub ( I only have tub/shower combo)I never used a shower stool.

3. Iceman. Still using. I also have some flat ice packs that go in a sleeve that are also great, though they only last about 10 minutes. Sometimes I would use these at night and fall asleep with them on.
Doc may want to put me on opiates to get me off the ice...:heehee:

4. good system to elevate leg without bending knee too much, and one of those pillows for between your legs when you can finally lay on your side.

5. Calendar to note meds, time taken etc., and to record milestones

6. prunes and ginger tea

7. Stationary bike trainer

I didn't use a lounge chair as it was easy to get off the sofa, out of bed etc and I had a good system to elevate my legs. Didn't need a reacher or thing to put on socks.
I hated the compression socks, they bunched up behind my knee and on my incision.

Onward!
Blessings to all of you with your recovery

Liz
 
A stellar update! :dancy:
 
Week 11!

I graduated from PT with a home program to continue---have been doing strength work for a while now and that has been going well. I'm back to Pilates, few private sessions, and today my first group class, but knowing that I must listen to my knee! I notice my leg muscles are sore but the knee is OK.

I actually feel a bit blue that PT is over, maybe because it was my twice weekly routine, or I had steady encouragement with my exercises.

Still have trouble sleeping but I think that is getting better. Still on a teeny dose of gabapentin but will work on getting off that. I'm watching caffeine and afternoon naps so that will help.

I'm looking forward to spring and summer with a new spiffy medial knee!

Healing vibes to all the bonesmarties, and a grateful thanks to the staff and mods who continue to encourage us!

Liz
 
@Cyclegal I have really enjoyed your updates and am 2 days behind you, surgery-wise. I don't know that I'll ever be as limber as you are, but I take heart from your great example. You made me smile when you said you were a little blue from ending PT, because that's coming soon for me too and I know I'll feel exactly the same way! I really like my PT and she has been such a huge part of my recovery, optimistic and reassuring, and I won't like parting ways!
 
I actually feel a bit blue that PT is over, maybe because it was my twice weekly routine
Why not take that freed up PT time and go walk in a mall, or around your neighborhood, weather permitting? There are many things you can do to replace that time that will be beneficial for your healing.
 
actually feel a bit blue that PT is over, maybe because it was my twice weekly routine, or I had steady encouragement with my exercises
If you like pilates and are missing PT have a look at my pilates teachers free YouTube channel. Google Katja pilates.
She is really excellent and has loads of free videos. There is a 15/ 20 minute side lying glute strengthening one which is knee friendly with no squats or kneeling which I used instead of PT- and it served me very well. It really strengthened my glutes and quads without aggravating my new knee.
 
I guess I am lucky that I didn't have a torture maven for PT! I knitted her a Yosemite hat as a parting gift.

Maybe I am just in that strange place, when life changes (for the good, I am happy with my new knee..) Caring for my infant knee has taken over the last few months, not just the post op stuff and more stuff but all the getting ready before surgery, pre hab, getting coverage for work then retiring, blood tests, pre op clearance, lab, the joint replacement class, thinking about stuff I would need, worrying about tripping over cats, I'm sure most of you can relate! So really now I just go forth, exercise sensibly and go on with life.

@AnnYo yes a good PT is a great coach! Plus I have to admit I have liked the soft tissue work she does, and the post therapy game ready ice machine (and you know i love my ice!)

@sistersinhim my PT time will be well used, walking, pilates class, riding my trainer, and those insurance co pays I won't be paying will come in handy too! I did a walk yesterday before the storms which are hitting us now.

@EalingGran thanks for the Pilates you tube link. Pilates is great, I also love going to the studio with the reformer. I find yoga much much harder on my knee, and just do a bit to keep flexible.

Liz
 
find yoga much much harder on my knee, and just do a bit to keep flexible.
Really agree with this.
I did a Yin yoga workshop last week and I thought I had been careful. And I warned the teacher about my PKR. I still found the following day that I had slightly over-twisted my knee and had to take it easy for a day or so.
I saw some younger women there in poses, that I am sure will do longer term knee damage. I had to really bite my tongue not to tell them to be careful if they didn't want to end up with a knee replacement!!
 
find yoga much much harder on my knee, and just do a bit to keep flexible.
Really agree with this.
I did a Yin yoga workshop last week and I thought I had been careful. And I warned the teacher about my PKR. I still found the following day that I had slightly over-twisted my knee and had to take it easy for a day or so.
I saw some younger women there in poses, that I am sure will do longer term knee damage. I had to really bite my tongue not to tell them to be careful if they didn't want to end up with a knee replacement!!
I'm certain that I did my knee in doing yoga---I was doing a home video and felt a pop in my knee (likely the meniscus tearing as the ligaments were fine on MRI). Yoga is great but you need to be careful with the knees!
 
12 weeks today, time flies even when you are not having fun!

I think the 12 week mark is when you really feel dramatic improvement. Would be fibbing if I said all was pain free and a walk in the park, but all is manageable, sleep is better, no more gabapentin, just melatonin and magnesium. I do get a bit of aching but that doesn't last long, mostly if I am sitting with my knee flexed for a period of time. Also if I try to kneel or attempt something that resembles a yogic childs pose my knee balks and I get pain behind the knee when I straighten it out.

Anyone who tells you "its just a partial" is full of baloney. I think in some ways the disruption of the remaining compartments, which likely have some arthritis, though not as bad, get stirred up in the process. I think most of my issues now are some lingering inflammation--though not bad enough for non-steroidals.

Personal life not so great, Monday we said goodbye to our kitty Snowdrop --who gave me some nasty scratches getting her into her carrier to the vet. Sad times for sure.

Hang in there fellow smarties! and be smart!

Liz
 
find yoga much much harder on my knee, and just do a bit to keep flexible.
Really agree with this.
I did a Yin yoga workshop last week and I thought I had been careful. And I warned the teacher about my PKR. I still found the following day that I had slightly over-twisted my knee and had to take it easy for a day or so.
I saw some younger women there in poses, that I am sure will do longer term knee damage. I had to really bite my tongue not to tell them to be careful if they didn't want to end up with a knee replacement!!
Oh and I see people kneeling on hard surfaces including my husband, I tell him "take care of those knees!! I don't want to take you in for a knee replacement!" Luckily he has done well without any bone or joint issues.

Liz
 
I'm so sorry about Snowdrop. We give them our hearts and they break them....

Yes, aching with sitting/holding flexion can remain a problem even (checks date) 7 months out, though it definitely slowwwwly improves. It sounds like you're making excellent progress!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom