Guest viewing is limited

TKR Recovery Questions

@DLR Thanks again. I do feel like a whiner for saying anything, and I think generally that people don’t want to hear about extended pain or struggle. I don’t know if we, as humans, are geared to be compassionate for long hauls. At work, people just look at me like “Bless her heart. I wonder why she’s not better by now?” I had a unknown work peer complain to the principal this week because I’m not yet doing my early morning duty that requires standing on concrete for about 20 uninterrupted minutes. Grr.
 
That is the joy of this community. It is a safe place to be real about how you are feeling and to receive encouragement that contrary to what work peers and others around think, you are not a wimp, you are not losing your mind...this is a hard recovery path and it isn’t a straight upward route but a rollercoaster ride that lasts a really long time
 
I am working regular hours - 5 days a week, M-F. I have to be there by 7:40 AM, and I leave about 4 to 4:15 unless I have required meetings. Work is only 15 mins away.
Still that's a hefty day!
I am not doing much at home - feeding my dogs, making my lunch, occasionally straightening things up, doing a bit of laundry, and I am not shopping.
Good to hear it!
I am doing exercise because the knee feels worse if I don’t - very stiff and tight. Still using one crutch because of pain and because I can’t really walk correctly without it.
Okay - so now can I leave you my questions?
 
@AliK....Sorry, this is going to be rambling but just glanced through some of your posts and we've all been exactly where you are.

There are so many things which are almost impossible to explain to people who either haven't been through a knee replacement or have had to live with someone who has been through a replacement. My husband has been very supportive and great through both of mine and still says he can't imagine what it's like to deal with the pain, etc.

After the initial pain and shock of surgery, the ongoing exhaustion is another thing people just simply don't understand because you don't look "sick". In fairness, 4 years ago, I wouldn't have understood why someone with a new knee couldn't (for example) stand in line for 5 minutes (which is my limit) or why there are shooting pains through it, etc. But I also would have never asked someone why they were or weren't doing "so and so" so it's annoying when I'm asked things like why I'm still using a cane - but won't go off on that rant here.

Insofar as regretting not waiting to have this done....don't waste your energy on regret. I put off having my first TKR much too long for a variety of reasons and my knee deteriorated badly very quickly. My husband talked me into having my second one sooner rather than later (the day before yours) and I'm so grateful he did. The recovery from this one hasn't been a piece of cake but it's been much, much easier than from the first one. If you'd put it off, then you'd be that much further into next year before you felt better - and who knows how bad your knee would have gotten in the meantime.

You're doing a great job by getting back to work, etc. Don't pay attention to everyone else's opinion unless they've had a replacement; otherwise, they don't know what they're talking about. If they insist on making comments, suggest they watch a video of the surgery; that might encourage them to keep their opinions to themselves.
 
It’s important to have a place to hang it all out with people who understand. Actually more than understand we have experienced it. Some more than once. Some with big complications. It really is the long haul for most. And you are doing very well. Working is tough.
There seem to be physical and emotional improvement markers for me. Like 6 weeks. 10 weeks. Three months. Places I look back from to see the gains and improvements. This works for me. Stay present, yep it’s tough, look back to that arthritic pain and look forward to all those improvements in my quality of life that are here and on their way.
Another thing, those opioids most take in bucket loads do affect us. Our brains take a while to rewire and feel perky again. I have moments of perky back but am really expecting my perky happy steady self back full time SOON!!
Take good kind care, share the photos of the tkr surgery like grand baby photos people might get that this healing requires patience and kindness.
Kathryn
 
I see you agreed to the whole post, by rating it as "Agree".

That's not quite how we do things. If you agree with the sentiment expressed in a post, you rate it as "Agree".

If someone asks you a question, you do need to reply to them. OK?

@Josephine - AliK would like you to ask her your questions please.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom