Guest viewing is limited

TKR Recovery Questions

@AliK, what you just described regarding the hamstring tendon is exactly the same issue I experienced for several weeks during my recovery. It never really hurt, but definitely felt strange. Instinctively, I knew it wasn’t a problem with my implant (I had a PKR lateral), and just hoped it would go away. Eventually it did. There were many times I found myself massaging the area which seemed to help.
 
I also put a legging sleeve (that I cut from some old leggings) over the plastic.
I like this idea! I have a really uncomfortable nerve issue on the lower lateral side of my knee that just screams when I put pants on. Kinesio tape helped but I got a bad skin reaction to the tape. (even the sensitive tape). Maybe when the colder weather comes and I need to wear pants I’ll try a snug knit sleeve instead of the tape and see if it helps!
 
@NavyGunns Thanks for responding. No - the hamstring snap itself is not that painful until it begins to occur over and over. Glad to know yours went away! When was your surgery again?
 
@AliK, my PKR was April 16th. Four months ago this week.

Just got home from a business trip involving my second time flying since surgery (first time was at 8 weeks!). This one was short, only about two hours. Lots of time on my feet on concrete floors and had no bone on bone pain. Yay! Still do get stiffness but seems mainly related to soft tissue healing (tight muscles and ligaments, the tight scar tissue band across the front of the knee, etc), but overall no issues. Didn’t even have problems going through airport security or all the walking to the gate.

Be nice to your knee as it heals and you should have similar results.
 
@AliK what is the cling wrap theory?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
@AliK, my physical therapist focuses largely on the massage - he says that it's one of the best ways to get the tissues to "slide" the way they should and to prevent adhesions, as well as relaxing those protective muscles.
 
@AliK I’m so glad you mentioned the Seranwrap. I have knee pain in 2 spots (just behind the knee, and just above on the lateral side) each and every night. I’m going to try it!
 
I’m 4 1/2 weeks post surgery. I know I shouldn’t be comparing myself, but I feel like I’ve gone backward a bit. Several days ago while in the house, I kept forgetting to even grab my crutch. So I started walking around the house without it. But now, I feel that I need it again because my walking has been worsening in form (think “mild version” of Hunchback of Notre Dame).

Am I pushing too hard, or is this normal? (Never done this before, but my brother has. He said he didn’t need any assistive device after two weeks.?)
 
This recovery is often compared to a rollercoaster, for its ups and downs and twists and turns. It is not straight line progress.

It seems when we feel a bit better we do a bit more, which our mind thinks we can do but the knee thinks otherwise. It pouts or throws a tantrum, like the child it is, at this early stage of recovery.

This recovery takes approximately 52 weeks (one year ) and you are only 4.5 weeks into that 52.

Your brother was one of the exceptions. I didn’t always use my cane in the house at 4.5 weeks, I had enough things to skim my hand over as I passed by, but I sure needed it whenever I went out, for several months!

You are doing fine. Try not to let other people’s comments cause self doubt. I know it’s hard, though. Been there!
 
Last edited:
Am I pushing too hard, or is this normal?

You're not pushing too hard, and... this is normal. As Jockette said, you will have ups and downs. We all have them. People who had TKR years ago forget some of the details and timeline, though, so take anything they say with a grain of salt. They're telling the truth as they remember it, which might not be precisely as it was. :wink:

Like you I just started forgetting my cane. This worked around the house for the most part. My house is quite small and so it was easy to walk short distances like that. But I still needed the cane for longer walks for weeks after I stopped using it in the house. My leg muscles needed to get stronger through use; my back, too, was out of shape and appreciated the help. But at some point I just stopped using the cane altogether. That day will come for you.

And yes, some people like your brother, do stop with assistive devices earlier. Some had very strong muscles going into the surgery and so entered recovery with that going for them. Some are among the fortunate ones who recover quickly. Some are just plain stubborn and want to be able to say they never needed a cane (even if they did). They will never admit otherwise. :heehee: In any event, they are not you. You're doing just fine.

Love your knee and be proud of yourself (and it). Lots of people would like to be where you are!
 
In my experience, brothers tend to have short memories. The more macho the brother, the shorter the memory.
Seriously, this is your knee and your recovery. Don't compare yourself to anyone who tells you what they did and what you should be doing. During my last visit, the OS basically said "don't listen to anyone else about their recovery because they are probably lying". :) It's so hard to do but each morning, I remind myself to not have any expectations for the day....that way if it's a good day, then fine. If it's not a good day, then i'm not disappointed. Easier said than done!
 
Okay y’all... ( I’m letting my Texan out because I’m having a pity party, and that’s when my accent comes out. If you don’t feel like reading a rant, I understand.)

Just about EVERYONE - including me - thinks I should be doing better at 7 weeks post op. People ask me what went wrong. They wonder if I had an infection. They all tell me about their elderly mothers, brothers, friends, neighbors - people who had both knees done, and they all tell me how great these said people were doing at four weeks, six weeks, etc. They ask if I didn’t do my therapy. They all feel compelled to remind me how important it is to do my therapy. I want to say, “Yes! I did and I’m doing my therapy!!!”

(Sorry. Don’t mean to kick the proverbial dog. Please know I’m just venting.) Even my husband has taken to telling everyone that I just don’t handle medical procedures well. Grr.

I am still using one crutch (because it HURTS if I don’t), and I’m not doing much other than what is necessary. I returned to work as a school librarian last week. (Don’t think about the stereotypical librarians of yesteryear. I’m all over the school on concrete floors.) I have a mobility scooter though, that I use if I have to go any distance. When I get home, I’m still doing my darn therapy every day. After that, I pretty much hit the couch as long as I can until bedtime.

But I’m still not sleeping well due to pain. I’m taking Tramadol and Tylenol and some ibuprofen (about every 4-6 hrs around the clock) . My family doc gave me Lunesta, but it only helps me get to sleep - doesn’t last.

My ortho cancelled my six week post op appt due to a family emergency but I see him tomorrow. I’d like to give him a piece of my mind as he was one of the primary people who told me it would be fine and I would be fine to return to work at 3-4 weeks post op.

I’m just hoping that someone who’s actually been there/done that will tell me this is normal because everyone in my world - everyone who hasn’t had a knee replacement - is making me feel worse than I already feel.

I’m sorry y’all. I just need a word of encouragement - again. Help.
 
Last edited:
Unless they have personally had this surgery, people have no :censored: clue as to what recovery is like!! And even if they have had it, everyone heals differently. No recovery is the same!! People will ask how I'm doing and I'll say "coming along" and they seem disappointed that I'm not saying "oh peachy keen and I'm ready to run a marathon"!! UGH!! They seem to base recovery of a TKR with other surgeries.. Which there is no comparison. Patience and time are the keys of this surgery!
 
:console2::console2::console2:

They are ALL wrong!!!!!!

Full recovery takes, on average, one year, and for some, longer than that. (me! :wave:)

You are 7 weeks into a 52 week recovery.

I used my cane for months, and still do on occasion.

Read other members’ threads and you will see many feel like you do.

About those exercises....
I am going to tag @Josephine
our forum administrator and nurse director to address your concerns.
 
You are doing exactly what you are supposed to be at 7 weeks. Going back to work is not easy at your stage of recovery. Working is enough therapy. This journey is a year long process. Be kind to yourself.
 
Oh my goodness, I am so sorry you are surrounded by such negative people! I had the same experience the first time around and it was so hard to remind myself that I was doing ok. Even my surgeon said I was a "problem child."

I was so thankful to find Bonesmart and get the constant reassurance that I was normal and would be ok. I just responded, "Actually my recovery is going just fine, my progress is perfectly normal and I am doing everything that I am supposed to be doing. We are all different." And then change the subject.

Honestly, working and then coming home and doing more exercise is just too much for your poor knee. Just working is more than enough therapy. With my first knee, I didn't turn a corner till four months post op. This right knee is recovering in more of a textbook manner, but there is still no way that I would want to return to work in 3 weeks!

12 weeks is actually the norm, so you are extraordinary for doing it so much sooner. Ditch the exercises and use your scooter as much as possible and tell everyone you are doing fine and don't need their negativity!:bignono::blackcloud::censored:
 
Back
Top Bottom