Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Recovery Diary

@roy: Does it really matter if ROM stays at 135 if you can do everything you want ?
Hmm, the tag/mention thing didn't work.

No, ultimately it doesn't matter.

By the same token, I like to drive around in a nice clean car. But not enough to clean and polish the thing, it does the job perfectly well dirty and scruffy.

So it's probable that my laziness will win and, now that I've enough flexion, I will allow the stretching programme to decline. But that's not what I want and I'm trying hard not to be defeatist.
 
the tag thing only works if you use the complete user name
@Roy Gardiner:
 
Following a recent discussion, Josephine decided (correctly IMO, although that opinion is hardly relevant) that I don’t have the required attributes to be a member of BoneSmart staff. This conversation prompted me to take a step back and look at what I do.

They say ‘Fool your enemies, even fool your friends, but don’t fool yourself’. I have been doing this; spending (indeed, wasting), without really realising, huge amounts of time on various bulletin boards, including this one.

Wasting time here, what?? BoneSmart is a magnificent place; it helped me more than any other single resource pre-surgery and afterwards. It is not possible to pay back the advisors other than by thanks (and thanks again, everyone) but it is possible to pay forward; helping those who are now in the position I once was in by telling my experiences and what I’ve learned. I think (hope, perhaps) I can say I’ve achieved this.

But it is possible to become obsessive. On counting posts on BoneSmart a day or so ago, I was 45th out of 3792 members. Of those who had posted more, 42 had joined earlier than me, 38 over a year earlier, more than twice as long as I've been here. Other boards have similar numbers. It’s too much. I have realised that other things I need and want to do are not getting done because of it.

So I have decided to try to step away, to spend much less time on bulletin boards and on my computer in general. In the unlikely event that anyone wants to contact me, roy dot gardiner at btopenworld dot com will do it (I write my email that silly way just to prevent the spambots reading it).

My apologies for the self-indulgent nature of this post, but the good people of BoneSmart deserve an explanation, because (unlike other places) they might actually be concerned (as I’ve seen demonstrated on the board) if someone just disappears. Which I don’t intend to do – just a bit less.
 
Roy! Boy, if you're obsessive, based on postcount divided into time , I'm way ahead of you already! Your presence would certainly be missed, but that doesn't mean it isn't a better plan for you. I hope I get to the point where I can be off having a different life. If, in fact, you do manage to drift away, do come back and update once in awhile, because you do have a good experiential story, especially for us BTKRs, and newcomers will not find your thread unless it pops up once in awhile. Not that you need to be here for every newcomer, but throw it out there every once in a while. I would say, please don't go, but that's selfish. Find a balance that's right for you, and thanks for having been here. See you around, I'm sure!:thumb:
 
Roy, I totally understand the obsessive nature of computers and the internet. I find that if I have a task that I don't want to do--I sit at the computer for far too long! Good luck with your biking--you will have more time to tour now. Kelly
 
Roy, it's sad to hear that you won't be spending as much time on here, but totally understand how you feel. Yes, forums and the internet itself are very very addictive. You can say to yourself, I'll just spend half an hour on the net and before you know it, it's bedtime!

You must go and do whatever you want to do. But please come back every now and again, just so that we know that you are doing well. And yes, your presence will be missed :cry4:

But a great big huge :ThankYou:

Kathy
xx
 
You will be missed, enjoy your extra time now touring, but do come back to say hi once in a while:flowerysmile:
 
@roy: - I must say I understand the obsessive side - but I personally think you have contributed a huge amount for me personally as I'm sure for many others -and I for one do think you've made a huge difference to the tone of this site. :scratch:

When I've felt down you've been a steady voice, often bringing a smile and reassurance when I've had little response from others at all... So, good luck in your new endeavours but please know you will be missed ..and thank you !:ThankYou:
 
Roy-

I've found your post to be a huge help to me in my recovery. Your diary was one of the best resources as I felt it was well balanced, unlike mine which tends to be emotionally overwrought at times. I hope you won't disappear completely because IMO you have a lot to offer those who come after us with their recoveries. Thank you, Roy!
 
Hi Roy,

I have always looked forward to your posts in this thread. You have been an inspiration to me and I have followed your progress because your surgery date was so close to my own.

Thank you for all your help, and for posting the progress of a normal recovery.

I understand that you now need to cut back your posting and get on with the rest of your life.

All the best.

Celle
 
Wow.

Thank you all very much for your good wishes, you might be surprised just how much I appreciate it.

It's not just this board but several that have been taking my time in a kind of compulsive way; it's that which I want to break.

I shall certainly continue to update this diary.

Once again, thank you all.
 
Yesterday I returned to 'competition'. My club's evening 10*, recording 27.43. My target was just to break 30mins (20mph) so I was happy enough; in fact, given that I've ridden only 800 or so miles this year, none of which can really be described as training, I'm delighted.

Whilst my knees hurt a bit this morning, my legs are worse and it's nothing I wouldn't expect. And my knees didn't hurt at all during the event.

Another recovery milestone.




*The 10-mile 'time trial' is a cornerstone of UK competitive cycling. All over the country are open-road courses measured extremely accurately to 10 miles. All are out-and-home with the start and finish close to each other, to eliminate any effects from the wind.

Every racing club (pretty much) runs an evening series during the summer using one of these courses, with riders starting at one-minute intervals to record individual times. This means riders all over the country have a means of comparing their performances.

There are no entry restrictions, and it's the classic starting point for new and recreational cyclists -- up to Chris Boardman recording the fastest ever (just under 18 minutes).
 
Many of us understand the "compulsive" bit. Glad to know you're doing something about it. Special thanks from me since I had patterned my early behavior on yours!

Don't be a stranger.
 
Six months update

Anniversary was the 6th and it's the 8th now, I didn't post anything because I had little or nothing to say.

Hey, that's important​

It's like what the dog did in the night!

I suddenly realise that it's news. I am no longer thinking about my knees all the time, if I want to walk somewhere I walk, I have to remind myself to do my stretches, etc etc. Everything is still far from perfect, but so far away from what the first few weeks are like that it's worth while saying so.

So. They still click when I stand up. There's still some fluid so that the kneecap 'floats' a bit, but the knees aren't swollen at all. Flexion is I guess around 130+, extension probably -1 or so, but I have to make myself care! I can't stand for very long periods - more than an hour or so - but couldn't before, I expect that to take ages to return. I can't run up stairs yet; climbing 2 at a time is a challenge but doable. Bike riding is limited by my appalling level of fitness, not knees.

What else? That's it really.

"Shoulda done it years ago." :hysterical:


PS. In my thing above about returning to competitive cycling recording 27.43 in my club 10, I missed a bit out. I've been riding the series every year for at least 20 years, I think more. 27.43 is my worst time bar one (mechanical) since 1993 :cry:
 
Hi Roy,

Good to hear that you're still going great!

Celle
 
Roy, somehow I'm sure that if we picked a topic other than knees we could have you saying a lot!:th_heehee:

Good to know that things are still progressing nicely without having to dedicate everything to the knees.

Sorry about the biking thing and not meeting your goal---but just as with the knees, I know that you'll get there eventually.

Take care, keep us posted. We really do care.
 
Roy, somehow I'm sure that if we picked a topic other than knees we could have you saying a lot!:th_heehee:
Rumbled!

Indeed I used to make my living from time to time as a trainer and presenter and yes, I can talk for as long as you like (longer, in fact) on any subject I know a bit about -- or with a bit of study I can mug up on something I know nothing about and get away with it.

Fascinating... :sleepz:
 
Your response to Limpin' Lizzie: The masculine way. "So you are cleverer than the doctors, the nurses, the PTs and 10,000 other people on BoneSmart? If you are so clever, why aren't you giving business seminars to Bill Gates? You haven't got the slightest justification for your ignorant useless opinion, have you?"

You will notice the omission of that good, emphatic word beginning with F, that word describing parentage beginning with B, and lots of other good words. Putting lots of such words in is an exercise for you. Also physical punctuation is left out, e.g. "...than the doctors (slap!), the nurses (slap!)...".

[Bonesmart.org] Recovery Diary
Just what I wanted to say when I read her post, but coming from a man, and a husband to boot, gives it the kind of impact that it needs. Your heart is in the right place, Roy.
 
Your response to Limpin' Lizzie: The masculine way. "So you are cleverer than the doctors, the nurses, the PTs and 10,000 other people on BoneSmart? If you are so clever, why aren't you giving business seminars to Bill Gates? You haven't got the slightest justification for your ignorant useless opinion, have you?"

You will notice the omission of that good, emphatic word beginning with F, that word describing parentage beginning with B, and lots of other good words. Putting lots of such words in is an exercise for you. Also physical punctuation is left out, e.g. "...than the doctors (slap!), the nurses (slap!)...".

[Bonesmart.org] Recovery Diary
Just what I wanted to say when I read her post, but coming from a man, and a husband to boot, gives it the kind of impact that it needs. Your heart is in the right place, Roy.

Where may one read such an epic smackdown? And it was written by a Brit yet!
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom