Bilateral TKR Recovery Diary

I hope you don't mind I posted it in the recovery forum to see if others had made one. I think it's a great resource. I know everyone's recovery is different but it's still nice to see all laid out like that.
 
Roy, I just love reading your recovery thread!! Not only are you rockin the recovery, you're sense of humor is fabulous!!
You are one super fella!!
 
Progress report, 1st November.

Now coming up to 11 months.

Today re-took up a sport I haven't played for about 45 years; table tennis. Haven't been able to play for about 20 years, prior to that never played for more than a few minutes, casually, since I was 16.

Went to a local club speculatively, to see how it would scope out. Within 5 minutes on a table, playing doubles, for about an hour. Then about 45 minutes knock-about, practice, coaching with a club member. Bloody Brilliant.

Of course there is a price to be paid. This evening I have stiffness and pain -- in my right shoulder. Knees, no bother.

That's it, sport no.2 now set!!
 
Wonderful Roy. Isn't it great to be able to do "stuff".
 
Hi Roy it's great you can now re-do an old sport you used to enjoy again, great going:thumb:
 
Merry Christmas!​
​
It has just occurred to me that I have not posted a one-year review on here. I forgot. This is of course good news.​
​
As of today I can​
​
- play table tennis, limited only by my skill and fitness​
- ride my bike, limited only by my fitness​
- run up stairs (well a little way...) 2 at a time​
- walk any sensible distance, up to a few miles​
- leap tall buildings at a single bound, play Mozart, run like the clappers, drive like Lewis Hamilton, and Errol Flynn was useless too.​
​
Movement is good, although I can't (yet) sit on my heels - but I've more or less stopped doing stretching exercises because, again, I forget.​
​
I don't really think about my knees much any more, unlike 13 months ago where they never left my thoughts at all.​
​
The fibro-synovial thickening that makes my right (but not left) knee 'crunch' is now a botheration and a bit of a limitation to full range of movement, but it no longer hurts at all.​
​
Ladies and Gentlemen I can, without fear of contradiction, say 'Good 'ere, innit?'​
​
​
 
Roy, Great to hear you are doing so well. I hope 2013 is even better!
 
Yea Roy what a wonderful Christmas present to yourself to realize that the knees simply enable you to do what you want with your life instead of being the prime consideration on if you can do things or not. I look forward to next holiday season when I will be in the same boat. Thanks for the encouraging post.
 
Great post Roy, you are such an inspriration! Keep being strong!

Cheers across the pond,

Dawn
 
[Bonesmart.org] Recovery Diary
[Bonesmart.org] Recovery Diary
[Bonesmart.org] Recovery Diary
[Bonesmart.org] Recovery Diary
[Bonesmart.org] Recovery Diary
[Bonesmart.org] Recovery Diary
 
Congratulations Roy!
That is wonderful news!
I was never one for table tennis, or any tennis for that matter!
I'm impressed at the two-stairs-at-a-time pace!
I just finally got the stairs "the normal way" down pat.
Just wonderful.
I hope the progress continues forward in the coming year!
Best,
Sandy
 
:hissy: Progress report

Or not.

Today fell off the bike and broke my collar bone :gaah:Found the only bit of road with ice left on it:sad:. Knees no impact. Small mercies?
 
oh too bad, Roy, that is a piece of rotton luck. Well, at least the collarbone will heal and you will be all right again. K
 
That is awful! I hope that you did not need surgery on the collar bone. Hang in there---better weather---warmer weather---is coming and you will be healed and ready to ride!
 
Surgery not planned yet -- recovery is a sling and inactivity. I am good at that!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Recovery Diary
[Bonesmart.org] Recovery Diary
What a bummer, Roy! Happy to hear the knees are still in great shape---but this sure will curtail your bike riding for a while. Take it easy and keep us posted. We care. (and we're nosy, too.)
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom