TKR Recovery #2

@JusticeRider
I did this before. I found Bonesmart well before my first tkr. I spent a lot of time here reading other's recoveries. I read the articles, asked lots of questions. The admins, staff and members have all had joint replacements. Have our doctors, nurses, physical therapists had joint replacements? Probably not for the most part. Yet, they're the ones who tell us how to recover.
And every recovery is different.
So, if you have to do this again....head into it like you. Recovery is temporary then you have a new, strong joint to enjoy.
Cheers!
 
Beachy, sometimes I think about how my recovery would have been thus far without BoneSmart. It really could have been a big mess! There are SO many things the dr’s don’t tell you. There are so many things they do tell you that are actually harmful! Who knew?? I for sure would have had a MUA by now, probably no better or even less ROM than I do now, and definitely more pain and mental anguish. This forum is such a godsend. Anyway, thank you so much for sharing your story. It will help me if (when) I have to do this again someday. I know I’ll be better prepared than the first time. I can only hope to have the sense of humor and equanimity about the whole thing that you’ve had!
 
I walk around the house with walker whenever I get up for bathroom, drugs, or sometimes just to move.
Pumping my ankles quite often.
The right leg still needs assistance getting in and out of bed. I can manage myself with recliner.
Amazing. It took me two weeks to do this! I just went into the kitchen for the first time today (but I am spoiled by my daughter being here). I could make myself food but can't figure out how to get a plate from the (galley) kitchen to the table with the walker!
 
@Twocaledonias
Its a bit different for me this time. It feels better to walk. Of course, I am using the walker, but the knee wants to move. Last time not so much.
I can't get food to the table unassisted either.
So far, these early days are better than first tkr.
 
Well...Day #4 sounded awesome, beachy, and I read with interest. You're doing great! I am a little nervous about Day #5 above :what:. I hope it isn't a sign that its off to a bad start...
@beachy
 
Day #5
Posting daily helps me keep a record of my progress or lack of.
My pain meds are hydrocodone 5 mg with acetaminophen 325 mg. Taking 2 tablets every 4 hours religiously to stay ahead of pain since I came home Wed evening.
At 1:30am the alarm woke me and I tried 1 tablet to see if I could. Slept til 5:30am alarm with no problem. Took 1 tab.
Got up for the day and began more icing, elevating and coffee (the most important!) in my recliner.
Cutting back to 1 tablet every 4 hrs is working so far. Constant I and E are helping swelling.
Was able to walk a bit for daily activity stuff with little pain. Nothing much....bathroom, brushing teeth, organizing nest for the day.
No pain when in the recliner with ice and elev.

I will take 2 tabs when I go to bed for the night.
TMI alert: stool softeners worked. Feeling great!
Planning a shower later today and maybe shampoo! Wow! So excited!

How is everyone doing in their early recoveries??
Jackpots??? Bueller??:rotfl:
 
@Layla
Don't be nervous LOL
I hit the post button by accident.
I am very encouraged so far. I'm taking it very easy these early days and I don't have big expectations for the beginning of recovery. Like I did last time.
Getting the swelling down and resting are priorities now.
I am extremely blessed to have my hubs as caretaker. My son has been here every day to give his Dad a break. He even stayed over the first 2 nights.
Caretaker burn out is a real thing and we've learned that.
Thanks for checking in!
 
Caretaker burn out is a real thing and we've learned that.
Yes! My hubby learned this the hard way trying to do all of my former household tasks and take care of me.

It sounds like you are doing great this time around, Beachy! Prayers to you for a continued smooth recovery. :flwrysmile:
 
@Twocaledonias
Don't get me wrong, there is pain. But, the meds, ice and elevation help. When I wake up and get out of bed I see stars for a bit! But, the meds kick in and I get ice on it and then I can walk around.
I was able to get my own coffee this morning while I let hubs sleep in!
I need help getting " tucked in" at nite. Can't quite lift the leg and get situated.
When you have knee #2 done you'll be experienced from this one.
 
I was able to get my own coffee this morning while I let hubs sleep in!
I'll bet this felt so good! One of the things that impressed me most in recovery was how I had taken the ability to do such simple things for granted, which is so easy to do....until we struggle to do them, or simply can't do them. All of these "firsts" had me reflecting and offering thanks. So hooray for the ability to make your own coffee this morning, beachy! :egypdance: Happy Monday!
@beachy
 
You're right @Layla !
Hubs was really tired yesterday and needed a good night of rest. I was happy to let him sleep in a bit.
This is funny....
I'm all proud of myself fumbling around in the kitchen with the Keurig. So I get my cup filled, even frothed some cream!
Then I try to figure out how to get me and my cup to the recliner with the walker! I managed. LOL
Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.
 
@Twocaledonias
...I need help getting " tucked in" at nite. Can't quite lift the leg and get situated...
Me too on that. Then soon as I get comfortable and somewhat asleep the pain and zingers start up again and I have to sit up to take meds and water. Drats... :happydance:

Such is it the early weeks. I just wish the redness would subside :yawn: ...

I do have a technique for moving surgical knee a bit: cross the non-surgical leg under at the ankle to shift/ position surgical leg/ knee a bit the left or right... :spider:
 
@LD of Michigan
I do tuck the good leg under bad one sometimes. Saw that trick on youtube. I need help at nite to move the leg a few times until I find the best way to sleep. Sometimes I use my bathrobe belt too.
Don't know if it would work for you, but I sleep with head elevated. Not at 90 degrees maybe 45. Love this bed with electric base!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom