Guest viewing is limited

TKR Recovering from TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see Roy have been to these quotes already but I'll add my two penn'orth anyway!
I do static bike usually every day for 10-15 minutes but at a very low resistance. I'm finding that even if I put it up to a 2 on the bike, I can't handle it later.
I hope not every day. You only need about 4 days of the week and rest the others. Rest is just as important as exercise.
The surgeon got it straight to 0 in the OR, and my PT can get it straight, but it's keeping it there that's the issue.
So what! You were under anaesthetic at the time, remember? Once has little to do with the other once you ad in the swelling, stiffness and pain!
I'm still very stiff and swollen
You should go back and read your recovery articles again, specially the one on the swollen leg.

But I see you have started a new thread and left those behind in the other thread so I am going to merge them.


[Bonesmart.org] Recovering from TKR
​
 
I see Roy have been to these quotes already but I'll add my two penn'orth anyway!
... Back to the CPM, I do static bike usually every day for 10-15 minutes but at a very low resistance. I'm finding that even if I put it up to a 2 on the bike, I can't handle it later. That's my "thing".
I hope not every day. You only need about 4 days of the week and rest the others. Rest is just as important as exercise.
At the risk of contradicting the Guv - I like to live dangerously, me - let me make clear what I meant.

The static bike can be used many times a day, every day; but it is not training it is stretching. You rotate the pedals 20 or 30 times slowly without any resistance at all, takes less than a minute. You get a pulling, stretching feel in the tendons around your knee (the front and side, this is a flexion exercise. Extension stretches are different).

Because this is a stretch and not an exercise, no rest per se is needed cos there's been no exertion. The guideline is, as always, that if your knee gets stiff or swollen or has any other negative reaction, you back off.

Awaits correction...
 
My post about the CPM machine has been deleted and I'm wondering why????
 
I don't think so. It's not here. I clicked on the link when the email came and it is not anywhere. I do resent the person who had responded saying I don't need physical therapy. That was a very careless thing to say and one reason we all have to take this advice with a grain of salt.
 
Hmmm now THAT is strange! I see it now but I didn't before. Maybe it's because I didn't take meds today, LOL,
 
Don't think your post needs any correction, Roy. You're quite right that there is a difference in using the stationary bike as a tool to do stretches and actually riding it for a period of time. Gentle stretches like this are good to do each day....even multiple times a day as long as there is no pain or swelling associated with the intensity and frequency of the stretches.

However....Lauramacky indicated she was riding the bike each day for 10-15 minutes. That is more of a workout and probably should have some rest in between....at least during the early months of recovery.
 
Part of the problem may have been that you had multiple recovery threads going. Josephine merged them into one. This is why we like to keep all recovery updates, questions and concerns in a single recovery thread. It makes it MUCH easier for us and you to find things.

I wanted to be sure you knew that nothing had been deleted. We don't do deletions very often and, if done, the member is immediately contacted with a notification that action was taken and why.

So, please continue to post in your recovery thread as you go along. If at some point you find that you'd like a different thread title, just post what you'd like and we'll get it changed for you.
 
Ohhhh ok...that's what happened. I didn't realize that was possible, but it makes sense. Thank you very much for explaining this. I was wondering what happened!
 
A lot of surgeons have stopped using CPM. No real evidence that they improve results long-term. If you have access to a pool -- particularly a warm-water one, highly suggest you try water walking, stretches, etc. It's also a great way to get some social contact.
 
Ms. Fixit...Thank you for your words of encouragement. I'm glad to know someone else has had this bent leg for years problem. It really is intense. I tried driving yesterday to go to my Weight Watchers meeting (where I lost 3.6 lbs in the first week btw!), and omg, I could barely do it. Hovering over the gas pedal with my foot caused my whole leg and knee to swell up! Ugh. It was hard. I barely made it home and had to elevate all day yesterday because of that. incredible! Today I'm going to talk with my PT about backing off just a bit. I need strengthening but it has to be a bit slower for me. It's all about what we can handle individually and everyone is different. I need a bit of a challenge emotionally, but my body needs to back up just a bit. He's an awesome listener, so I know I won't have any issues with that today. Well, time to get going here! I'm sooo happy I found this place! Have a great day!!!:)
 
Hi Lauramacky,
I'm sorry that your leg swelled and it was difficult to drive. Congrats on the 4 pounds, though. (I am the queen of rounding up :whistle: ) Your strength and extension will come in it's own time. Ice, ice baby!

midwestmom Oh, sweetie, I know exactly how you feel. I had a super case of the funkies, had bed dread.......and 4 degrees? WOW! You go girl! Congratulations. You are doing fantastic! Do you have your own recovery thread? Welcome!
 
Thank you Nyland. I love the rounding up!! I have a variety of ice packs in my freezer now. Amazon is very happy with me these days. LOL.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Recovering from TKR
If your leg swelled after using weights at PT and you needed to ice, I'd like to suggest that you may be pushing a little to hard a little to soon here. Perhaps you should back off the weights a bit.


Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Recovering from TKR
 
Just FYI, what are you talking about? I didn't use weights. Strengthening for me is NO WEIGHTS. I know what I'm doing and so does my PT. Perhaps it's best to ask first rather than to assume?
 
Sorry, Laura, somehow in my 70 year old mind I have mixed you up with someone else. Guess I've just read too many post this morning. Better totter off and get some rest!:heehee:
 
Okay, no problem. It's hard when I feel attacked because I'm already kind of fragile with all this going on. So I apologize if my hair rose on the back of my neck, lol. I hope you have a good day and thanks for your concern.
 
Please know that we're here to help you, Laura---don't want you to feel attacked by anything we say---but we are known to urge folks to do "right" when we know they're doing something that's hurting their recovery. We really do care about you and want what's best for you.

[Bonesmart.org] Recovering from TKR
 
Gahhhh..I've been averaging 4-5 hours sleep a night no matter what I do. So frustrating but I've had insomnia all my life. Good news is today was my best day so far. I'm hoping for sleep tonight!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom