THR Recovering at home from June 17 LTHR

Oh, that’s not good! I hope you got a nice reward for that mishap, I suggest diamond stud earrings.

My husband had definitely mellowed now that my crying jags have abated. It’s all overwhelming, for caretakers too. I have more independence now (shower myself for last few days!!!), and that is a relief for both of us.

Wishing you, fellow June Sunbeam, a wonderful weekend.
 
Here I am at six weeks post-op, and here is what’s new:

-I’m on a cane now, even taking steps at times without it as I prepare my breakfast, or dinner for my husband and myself.

-I’m able to drive! I placed a grocery order, and drove over to the store for pickup. That was pretty exciting.

-I’ve started sleeping for short periods on my side, which has helped to alleviate the jumpy legs.

-I’m off pain meds, mostly. I take the occasional Tylenol or Advil, usually in the middle of the night.

-The tenderness and numbness of the side of my thigh is slowly going away. This is the most discomfort I have, mostly.

I have two infection concerns:

-I’m feeling a ache in my hip joint. I think it’s been there all along, but masked by the numbness of my thigh. Because I worry about everything, I worry about an infection. Is there still to be expected pain at this point? Sometimes I feel it in my butt cheek.

-I am on antibiotics because of a “spitting stitch” in my incision. It’s a stitch that hasn’t dissolved, so there is still a bit poking out of the incision. About 2-1/2 weeks ago I noticed a spot of red along the incision. I sent a picture to the surgeon, who thought it was inflammation, but put me on Cefalexin. The red spot went away. Then, as the scabs came off the incision, I noticed the suture sticking out where the spot had been. I sent another picture, and am now on Doxycycline. I was supposed to see surgeon today for six weeks check and to take care of the stitch, but he had emergency surgery, so appt was canceled, and he’s out next week! I was able to get appt for Aug 2 with another surgeon in the group. Has anyone else had this “spitting stitch” situation? Should I be concerned about infection?

That’s my report from the front at six weeks. I hope everyone has a great weekend.
 
Hello and Happy Saturday! Thanks for the update sharing your progress. You‘ve made some great strides. Off meds, transitioning to a cane, driving and running errands.
I understand your concern as struggling with a complication is something that crosses all of our minds while healing. Chances are in your favor that all is well and your surgeon and care team are on top of the situation, monitoring and taking every precaution, so try to busy yourself enough that this concern is not in the forefront of your mind. Stress is never good for us, nor the healing process. Many have dealt with a “spitting a stitch” if you type those words in the SEARCH at the top right of the page, any threads where it’s been mentioned should pop up.

Hopefully you receive the reassurance you’re seeking and this memory is soon just a blip on the screen. Wishing you comfort and peace of mind. :console2:
Stay in touch! :)
 
I also experienced "spitting a stich" after THR @CG'sknees. It looked like an infection to me and I was completely freaked out! Infection was my biggest fear. When they told me I was spitting a stich, but put me on an antibiotic "just in case" I felt much better. That particular spot on my scar took a little longer to fade away, but you can't tell it from any other place on my scar now. (which is much less visible than I imagined at this point.}
 
I had an odd spot at the bottom of my incision. It was a stitch and we just pulled it out. When the OS looked at it he agreed it was a stitch, no antibiotics and no problems.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Hopefully all is well. We’d love to hear from you, if time allows, next time you stop by.
Until then…all the best!
@CG'sknees
 
Hey, hi all! I’m now at 3+, almost four months, in my recovery . Had x-ray done on Sep 27, the surgeon said all looked good. I am ready to have my right hip replaced, we agreed on January as a good time, so I’m scheduled for Jan 21, 2022 for RTHR.

The left hip is recovering well. It’s now the “good” hip when I go up and down steps (up with the good, down with the bad). I can get wobbly sometimes because of the right hip, so I take a cane with me when I go out, in case I need help, and to warn others that I might wobble, but otherwise I’m off cane.

I have numbness still, along the side of the thigh. And if I press on the surgical hip joint, I can feel pain. I mentioned this to the surgeon, and he thinks it’s the nerves waking up. It’s not a huge bother in any way, but I worry about everything, so I wish I didn’t feel this bit of pain. Is this familiar to anyone?

My athletic, sporty husband sprained his MCL, so we are quite a sight now, truly feeling like seniors. Oh, the horror, and hurt to our egos.Ughhhhh. Please send him good wishes for recovery. I need him in good shape for January!

Best wishes to all!
 
@CG'sknees It sounds like you are coming along well with your new hip :yes: I'm sorry your husband is having problems though and I do send him good wishes for a full recovery. Yes growing old is not for sissies, as my Dad use to say.
 
What a nice update. It sounds like you’re doing well. I hope you make it through the holidays without too much pain as you await your next surgery in January.

In regard to the numbness and sensitivity you’re feeling, small sensory nerve fibers are cut with the incision. These nerve fibers run from the inside to the outside of the hip and cutting them causes the hip to feel numb after surgery. It is a temporary sensation that normally resolves over a period of six months to one year post op.

While healing you may experience sensations of tingling, pins and needles, itching, burning and even the feeling of a minor electrical shock. These are usually good signs that the nerves are spontaneously firing through the regeneration process as your surgeon mentioned. I experienced numbness myself for several months post op. The numb area slowly shrunk until one day I realized it was gone.

Wishing your husband comfort as he heals from his sprain. Have a great week!
@CG'sknees
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Hopefully you’re having a good weekend and hubs is feeling better than he was a week ago. Stay in touch…we’ll be rooting for you come January!
@CG'sknees
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom