Hi,
Thank you for sharing your recovery story, and what a fun sense of humor
you have!

If you're up to it, I'd appreciate
learning more about some things you said. I am NERVOUSLY anticipating
my first THR, so I have a lot to learn!
I am 60 lbs overweight, so he had cautioned me after the surgery to be careful about the “tissue” (i.e., fat roll) that could press against the incision when sitting, and could cause an infection. I have religiously washed and dried the area, then sprinkled some talc-less baby powder in the crease and then placed some gauze to keep everything dry. He thought the gauze was a great idea! Yay, chubby grandma!!!
1. I'm obese, and already worried about sooo many things with my recovery, and
It's great that you thought to use gauze, but it bothers me that
the surgeon/ nurse didn't teach you about all of this BEFORE you had surgery.
Did they consider giving you a supply of thick, waterproof dressings?
2. What do you wash your incision with? Do / did you have staples or
some other type of closure? I'm wondering so many things, because
people talk about keeping the incision DRY when they shower. At
what point were you allowed to start washing it?
3. I didn't know powder
would be allowed on an incision. My thought is that powder on top of freshly cleaned
and dried skin is great---but if moisture builds up, it would cause the
powder to become wet/ pasty.
I’ve changed the sheets on my bed all by myself
4. It's great that you did that, but was it difficult to do all of the bending
required?
5. Am I being annoying with all my questions, and you now wish you'd
never read my post?
