BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[HIP INFECTION] Recovered from THR x 2 on both sides - now new pain

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by susanlanc, Mar 26, 2013.

1. BarbaraR

BarbaraR graduate

United States United States
    susanlanc, I've gone back to yoga very slowly-- I'm just under 4 months. Like Annie's, I don't have any restrictions, but some postop discomfort and muscle weakness has limited my practice. The first thing I did was to take a private class with a certified Iyengar instructor. The great thing about Iyengar is that they really understand anatomy and can work with you on proper positioning. I use props like blocks to get into poses, and in the beginning, I found poses that used to be simple very challenging. If you can, find someone who's familiar with whatever precautions you've been given, and they'll be able to work with you on starting to practice. Namaste!

2. C Mac

C Mac post-grad

I go to a studio that has an adaptive class and it is fantastic! There are a couple of TKR gals, me with my fake hip and a couple other people that need new joints of the same variety. We work on mats, in chairs and use blocks and blankets and yoga straps and therabands and rubber balls. We do some modified poses either lying down or with the assistance of the chair for balancing. It's great and my teacher has half of her spine fused due to degenerative disc disease, she is amazing!!

Maybe you can find a studio with this type of class to start out with since you still have the 90 degree restriction.
    Take care,
    Cardie

3. Poppet

Poppet Nutritional Advisor

Australia Australia
  4. susanlanc

susanlanc junior member

I had THR March 26, 2013 and I had a relatively smooth recovery. Gave up cane after two weeks and was back at work in 2 weeks. I'm up to walking 2-4 miles several times a week with no problem. When I hit the 6 month mark a couple of weeks ago, I started a little jogging (up to a 1.5) as part of my 4 miles and using some weight machines. Also, i went to a couple of yoga classes but was pretty careful not to over do it. I have developed a mild ache in my groin (same side as THR) and just wonder if I'm messed up something or if I've just used muscles I haven't used in a while. I don't want to stop walking because i can tell it keeps me from getting stiff. Anyone else experienced this?

5. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    So you've traded a little stiffness for an ache in your groin!

You went back to work two weeks post-op (though you didn't say what your job is or how many hours you work), you're walking 4 miles, doing 'some' jogging and using weights! Then you say you are doing yoga but being careful not to overdo it! At 6 months you are still pretty early out and what you are doing, in my book, constitutes doing too much!

All this activity is doing is causing tendinitis, probably an Iliopsoas syndrome.

I would also encourage you to read these recovery articles and get a better feel of the better progress you should be making ...
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery
    Activity progression for THRs

6. susanlanc

susanlanc junior member

Well, you really nailed it. I guess I need to back up a bit. I just realized a few weeks ago that I felt normal again, and I guess I have overdone it. Thank you so much for providing some much-needed advice.

7. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Hi, susan....welcome to BoneSmart!

Don't feel bad about overdoing things too soon in your recovery. It's something almost all of us do to some degree. The important thing is that you recognize it and scale back for a while. Recovery is different for each of us and we must work to find that right balance between rest and activity for probably the first year or more. You are correct that at least part of the issue can be muscles and other soft tissue that is adjusting to your hip's new alignment. It just takes time to get everything back to normal again.

But I'm happy to hear you hip is feeling good. A little patience and everything else will fall into place as well!

8. susanlanc

susanlanc junior member

Had right THR in March 2013 and recovery was great. December 4, 2013 I had a left THR. I noticed after a couple of weeks that sometimes going up an incline or steps I could feel like a pop or something slip on my hip. It's like an elastic band slipping and it causes a slight weakness in that leg. It lasts just a second, then it's ok and it doesn't happen every time I go up steps. I mentioned it on my follow up appointment and the dr said what it might be something (I don't remember what he called it) but kind of brushed it off. I got the impression he thought it might work itself out. I made an appt for next week to see what, if anything, can be done, but was wondering if anyone had heard or experienced anything like this. Everything was so good with first surgery and want to be 100% again.

9. Josephine

It's probably a ligament that's a bit slack. It will sort itself out in time as it regains tension but this does NOT mean you need to do any exercises to 'improve' it. It will do that on it's own!

10. ARHip

ARHip senior

Under HIP REPLACEMENT RECOVERY. Look at NOISE ISSUES (On my iPhone App, section is on top). Several good articles and videos there. They answered my questions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. susanlanc

susanlanc junior member

had RTHR in March 2013 and recovery was great. Had LTHR in Dec 2013 and recovery was a little slower. Attributed to winter and not able to get outside to walk as much as I needed. About 6 months after LTHR started having thigh pain and now have sharp pains in both groins periodically. Went to regular doctor who can't find anything other than elevated inflammation levels in blood. Had MRI, nerve conduction tests and all normal. Had bone scan and shows "stress reaction" on ends of both femurs where implants connect so going back to orthopedic surgeon this week. Anyone experienced anything like this? I'm now unable to do anything and in worse shape than before either surgery. Wish I had just dealt with that pain.

12. Jamie

Hi, susan....so sorry to hear you are having this problem. But I think you are wise to get to your surgeon. I'm going to tag @Josephine so she can comment. I think she would be the best person to address your situation.

13. susanlanc

susanlanc junior member

Hi, I just realized you had responded. I just got aspiration results from doctor today. I have infection in both hips. I'm pretty overwhelmed right now but dr is recommending replacements on both within 4 weeks of each other and IV antibiotics. Before that's done, he wants me to see an infectious disease doctor. At least I finally have a diagnosis but I'm scared. Any suggestions of questions I need to ask or things to be alerted to? Thank you.

14. Josephine

Oh dear, that's awful! I'm so sorry.

Some questions you might ask:
    Will the surgery be a single stage or a double stage as described here Knee infection: what happens when a knee becomes infected?
    Will I have PICC line?
    When will you do the revisions?
    How many of these infected knees have you dealt with in the past five years?

If he has dealt with less that 50 in 5 years, I recommend you find a revision surgeon to do them instead. The last think you need is someone who has limited experience but is willing to 'give it a go'!

15. susanlanc

susanlanc junior member

Originally, I had my right THR in March 2013 and left THR performed in December 2013. Very easy recovery but by July 2014 I started experiencing thigh muscle pain. Ortho said hips looked good so I started making rounds of several different types of doctors with no results.

Finally went back to my Ortho and he referred me to another Ortho in Charlotte, NC. He immediately recognized that both my THR were loose. Had first revision on right side May 27th with no problems. 4 weeks later I had the left revision THR on right side.

After 2 weeks, re-admitted to hospital with infection. Surgery scheduled few days later for debridement hoping to clear out infection. After another week, realized that didn't work so re-admitted for hip removal and hip spacer put in place. The infectious disease doctor is confident we can clear up infection and have a new hip installed in couple of months.

I'm currently on IV antibiotics and using walker for limited ambulation. I've finally started feeling better and working through some depression. My one concern right now is did others have some hip pain from the spacer? It just feels like the spacer is so fragile or maybe I'm just psyched out about something else happening.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2015
  16. Jamie

Susan.....are you saying that you have now had a RTHR and a a revision on that hip as well? Although your post says you had a RTHR July 1st, your signature indicated that hip was originally done in March, 2013.

If this is the case and you've had a revision, please tell us a bit about the history that led up to that surgery.

We have had other members go through this process successfully. It can take some time to get used to the spacer. After all, it's not at all like having an actual hip joint. But this is an excellent process to ensure that the infection is totally gone and your new hip will be okay.

With all you've been through, I can certainly see why you might have some anxiety and a bit of the blues. I know you just want this to be over.....and it will be with some time. In the meantime, we'll be here to help you through the days and any challenges you may face. Please don't hesitate to post.

If you would, please update your signature so we can instantly see what surgeries you've had to date. That helps us provide good information for you. I do think as you become more used to the spacer you'll be more comfortable with it. Although your mobility will be limited, the spacer itself is not really "fragile" and you'll find that you can maneuver around with it.

17. susanlanc

susanlanc junior member

Is it normal to have some groin pain when I walk with walker? Thank you.

18. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Since you have had multiple procedures performed on that hip I would think groin pain was normal. But everyone is different as is every recovery. Are you taking any pain meds? Icing and elevating?

19. Josephine

I've made some attempt to update your signature but think I may have dates and sides wrong!
    Havign spacers is not a painfree experience by any means. The spacers you have are probably something like this

abx prefashioned spacers.jpg

You will note there is no cup so the prosthesis will be working on bare bone so you definitely need pain killers.
    Oh these are by no means fragile! Bone cement has the consistency of marble. You couldn't make a dint in it with a sledge hammer!
    Don't wish to pour cold water on his optimism, but my experience is that these can take a lot more than a couple of months to clear up. We have one young man here who has had his spacer in place for a year! Peri-prosthetic infections aren't cleared up that quickly and it's much, much better to be safe than sorry.

20. lalo

lalo member

I'm sorry you are having to go thru this. Although my situation is different I had back to back surgeries and I know how hard that is. I also had to deal with depression as well as anger directed at 1st surgeon and his physical therapy staff. I eventually had to mentally forgive them otherwise I could not move on. Wish you the best and though hard, stay positive and be patient. Will be in my prayers.

• Agree Agree x 1