TKR Ready to Recover!

Had my second TKR (left) done on August 31 . . . almost exactly 5 months after my right knee was replaced on March 30 this year. It's true what they say about every surgery being different! My worst memory from the first surgery was the anesthesiologist giving me the nerve block just prior to surgery. This time it was a different anesthesiologist and when she showed up, I told her I'd been dreading her arrival. And she said "we can just do it AFTER surgery when you're still numb from the spinal." What?!! I thought it was something that had to be done prior and she said "no, it's to help with your pain in recovery." Wow. However, the recovery pain was worse this time and I ended up staying 2 nights because I couldn't even do the simple PT class after the first night. Then they gave me torodal that afternoon and through the night and I was 100% improved on day 2 and came home. I also came home without compression stockings this time. Seems that my surgeon changed his protocol in the last few months and no longer requires them. With my first knee I had a lot of swelling and bruising, but almost none this time. The stiffness and general soreness is the same, but I'm just 12 days out this time and have already stopped the pain meds--I was on them for almost 6 weeks last time. I'm a little swollen, but the main difference is a lot of skin redness and itching--almost feels like a sunburn. The best part is I know this time NOT to try and sit at my desk at home for more than about 30 minutes at a time--it's easy to get sucked up into working on emails etc. and forget.

Welcome to the other side of recovery, again. :yes!:

Since it's so close to your first, you know what to do - slow and steady wins this race. Also, your right knee is still in recovery so be kind and mindful of what you ask it to accomplish in the early recovery days of the LTKR. You've got this!

Here’s a refresher course for you:

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

I'm almost 7 weeks out from my second TKR this year (March 30 & August 31). My biggest question is how can I learn to GET UP OFF THE FLOOR? I have excellent healing in my March 30 knee and the second knee is coming along very well. I'm almost able to alternate feet coming down the stairs. But I have not tried much kneeling on even my first knee. It doesn't "hurt" when I try it, but it does feel too strange to proceed to more weight on it. Does anyone have a method or advice to get from the floor to standing after 2 knee replacements? Thanks!

Your best bet would be do do an online search where you'll find numerous YouTube videos demonstrating how to get up off the floor after TKR. Familiarizing yourself through viewing these may help you feel more confident in attempting this when the time is right. Or, if you're engaging in any Physical Therapy sessions, your PT should be able to guide you.
Best Wishes as you continue healing.
@NancyAnn

When getting up off the floor I had trained myself for so long to get up by rotating over to my left side after I had my right knee done years ago that after I got the left knee done last year I have to stop and literally tell my brain, no, get up on the other side. With both knees having recently been done I guess I would use the side that hurts the least and the knee that can bent the best and use a coffee table or chair to help yourself up. @Layla 's idea of looking up a video is a good one. Best of luck to you!

I also like the idea of looking up new ways to get off the floor. I use downward dog or @Susie-Q's method to get up off the floor. At 1 and 7 years out, I am conditioning myself to kneel and feel confident the knees can take it, even the funny feeling that I get while kneeling.

I'm almost 7 weeks out from my second TKR this year (March 30 & August 31). My biggest question is how can I learn to GET UP OFF THE FLOOR? I have excellent healing in my March 30 knee and the second knee is coming along very well. I'm almost able to alternate feet coming down the stairs. But I have not tried much kneeling on even my first knee. It doesn't "hurt" when I try it, but it does feel too strange to proceed to more weight on it. Does anyone have a method or advice to get from the floor to standing after 2 knee replacements? Thanks!
I have to go over on all four’s. Not very graceful but it’s the only way I can.

Marie

I too do the ‘downward dog’ method: face down, butt up and legs straight, walk my hands toward my feet until I am upright. I’ve had to do it for two years so I’ve perfected it! :heehee:

Thanks all! I have found this whole thread so helpful! First, because of the OP's careful report of such a good outcome.I fully inderstand that we are all different, but I was just in need of reading a positive UP report about an uncomplicated recovery. Also the reference to the pain med theory was helpful and then, to see OP going thru her second procedure in short order has all just left me with an optimistic outlook,

(And I had to smile earlyin in the meds discussion when she noted being on Celebrex. I was on Cbrx for the first week after my second hip….I thought I was freakin' Supergirl. Until that rx ran its course……then - oh, I just had surgery!!)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Loki54
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom