• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

TKR Ready to Recover!

Knee is still very swollen, but pt said that was too be expected for at least a couple more weeks.
Don't be surprised if the swelling lasts for a couple of months or more, not just weeks. You are doing fantastic for only one week out, but be careful to not overdo it. Your knee is very traumatized after this surgery and will get angry very easily.

Being exhausted after a short time up is also normal. Your body is concentrating on healing that knee and that takes a lot of extra energy.

I agree with sistersinhim, you could/will have swelling to some extent for months, and it will fluctuate depending on activity.

Hopefully your PT was talking about the very swollen knee.

I also agree you are doing great! :flwrysmile:

I can walk without the walker, but I keep it close.
Don't be in too much of hurry to give up walking aids -- you don't want to risk a fall this early in your recovery. What's more, you are less likely to limp when you are using a walker or cane so they can they help as you regain a normal gait.

Remember to take it slowly this first few weeks. Ice, elevate and give your knee time to recover from the trauma.

:flwrysmile:

I can walk without the walker, but I keep it close.
Don't be in too much of hurry to give up walking aids -- you don't want to risk a fall this early in your recovery. What's more, you are less likely to limp when you are using a walker or cane so they can they help as you regain a normal gait.

Remember to take it slowly this first few weeks. Ice, elevate and give your knee time to recover from the trauma.

:flwrysmile:
Thanks benne68 you're right that my gait is much more normal with the walker.. Think I'll keep using it until I can walk without the limp.

Oh my, recovery ebbs and flows! I do great during the day, but about 5pm I stiffen up and start hurting. I'm trying to limit my pain pills to one in the morning and one an hour before bedtime. Amazing though, climbing stairs is not nearly as painful as it was before surgery.

What are you taking for pain?

@NancyAnn sounds like you’re doing great. I discovered taking two Tylenol PM before bed helped me sleep comfortably for 5-6 hours. I was prescribed oxycodon and it did nothing for the pain so I tried the PM and was much happier.

I'm trying to limit my pain pills to one in the morning and one an hour before bedtime

@NancyAnn -- It's really important to stay ahead of the pain, or you may slow your recovery. It's not a good idea to restrict your use of the pills this early post-op.

The following article explains why you should take your pain meds BEFORE your pain comes back.

Check with your doctor if you aren't sure what to take. Many people find a combination of Tylenol and Advil (ibuprofen) work well in keeping the pain at bay.

Thanks, benne68. Part of the issue is that I really don't have great "pain," I'd describe it as uncomfortable or achy. However, that's a good article and I'll talk to my surgeon about it when I see him this week. He also has me on celebrex once a day.

OK, this should probably go in the pre-op forum, but here we are. :loll:My daughter and I made and froze about a dozen crockpot and oven meals before my surgery. Great idea, huh? Until we started using them. They are ok, but we should have chosen things we KNOW we already like--like shepherd's pie or chili. Now we have bags of "teriyaki chicken" and "sweet potato/apple porkchops" that just haven't been that appealing. Luckily we did make two pans of enchiladas--we know we like those! We also have a freezer full of a half a beef and my husband has very quickly learned that offering to grill steaks saves him from our frozen endeavors. I am so fortunate though that I have a husband and daughter so willing to do the kitchen work. And my sons (who live nearby) have been great about picking me up a burger or chicken sandwich when nothing else sounds good.

@NancyAnn sounds like you’re doing great. I discovered taking two Tylenol PM before bed helped me sleep comfortably for 5-6 hours. I was prescribed oxycodon and it did nothing for the pain so I tried the PM and was much happier.
FourCats, getting to sleep isn't terrible, and it's not pain that wakes me up--it's my bladder! I have to go at least every 3 hours at night, but I was somewhat like that even before surgery. Just wasn't as much of a problem when I could just get up and not have to detangle myself from the ice machine!

Saw my surgeon yesterday for my 2-week check. He was surprised that I showed up with no cane or walker. He watched me walk up and down a hallway and said my gait is fine--I have no limp at all. I had one "weepy" place in my glued incision, but they steri-stripped it up. He also said I could ditch the compression hose since I'm plenty active. I've been going out to PT since Day 5 and yesterday my bend was 95 degrees and I'm only 4 degrees away from straight leg. My stamina still comes and goes. I sat at my home office desk and reviewed student papers one day for 3 hours (with several breaks), but another day I couldn't do more an hour. I thought I could ride along with my husband one day on an hour-long errand, but my knee certainly didn't like being cooped up in the car that long. I am still taking a pain pill about 3 to 4 times per day. I forgot to ask him when I can drive! I don't feel like I should yet, but I don't see him again for a month and I'm pretty sure I'll be ready before that. We also talked about doing my other knee later this year!

Saw my surgeon yesterday for my 2-week check. He was surprised that I showed up with no cane or walker. He watched me walk up and down a hallway and said my gait is fine--I have no limp at all. I had one "weepy" place in my glued incision, but they steri-stripped it up. He also said I could ditch the compression hose since I'm plenty active. I've been going out to PT since Day 5 and yesterday my bend was 95 degrees and I'm only 4 degrees away from straight leg. My stamina still comes and goes. I sat at my home office desk and reviewed student papers one day for 3 hours (with several breaks), but another day I couldn't do more an hour. I thought I could ride along with my husband one day on an hour-long errand, but my knee certainly didn't like being cooped up in the car that long. I am still taking a pain pill about 3 to 4 times per day. I forgot to ask him when I can drive! I don't feel like I should yet, but I don't see him again for a month and I'm pretty sure I'll be ready before that. We also talked about doing my other knee later this year!
Hi @NancyAnn , super report! Great progress! How does your experience to-date (post-op) compare to what you thought it'd be like pre-op?

All the best for continued progress!

Great report! Keep doing what you’re doing … it seems to be working!

In regards to driving, my surgeon said no if I was taking narcotic pain medication. Also, since it’s your right leg, you need to make sure you can move your foot quickly from the gas pedal to the brake. What I did was to sit in my car in the driveway and practice until I felt secure enough. Then I did a short trip of less than five miles on my road which is not heavily traveled, practicing braking.

Hi @NancyAnn , super report! Great progress! How does your experience to-date (post-op) compare to what you thought it'd be like pre-op?

All the best for continued progress!
My experience is far better than I expected pre-op. I figured it'd be a month or more getting to this point.

I forgot to ask him when I can drive! I don't feel like I should yet, but I don't see him again for a month and I'm pretty sure I'll be ready before that.
Most of us are cut loose to drive at 6 weeks with a right tkr. You most definitely have to be off of any pain meds! I was released at 6 weeks but didn't feel really secure until 7-8 weeks out. Insurance companies might not insure you if you're not released by your OS to drive so be sure that you have your OS's approval to do so.

Today I'm swollen and stiff.. Worse than I've been since surgery. My doctor said I didn't need the compression hose any longer--but could the swelling be worse because I'm not wearing them?

Yes, @NancyAnn, it's certainly possible that some of the swelling is because you've stopped wearing the compression hose.

But overdoing can cause swelling too. Are you pushing yourself too much? Remember this is a long recovery and you are only a few weeks out.

Swelling, stiffness and pain are all normal in the early days of this recovery. Keep on icing and elevating as much as possible. And, listen to your knee. If will tell you how much is too much.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rkelley