Ready to cancel surgery!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so afraid of being helpless and having other people control me. I dread not being able to use the bathroom the first few days.
Jamie is correct; you will not be helpless, and you will be up and waling around either the same day as the surgery or the next day. You will be able to get up and go to the bathroom (slowly, of course). You will not be bedridden.

No one will be able to control you---you will be on some strong pain meds, but you will be able to communicate very clearly and talk to those who are there to help you.
 
I can't say as much as I would like to right now because I'm on my Kindle right now and it just takes too long!!
I am also 100+ pounds overweight. My doctor said as long as I don't have a lot of other health issues (and I don't) weight is not something that would stop him from doing the knee replacement. I had my right knee done in 2009 and I had my left knee done 4 weeks ago. No one here will tell you it's easy because it isn't. I'm having a rather tough time right now as a matter of fact. But when I sit here and focus on my knee that was done 4 yrs ago and how wonderful it turned out, I know I just have to be patient because my left knee will get there too.
Try to read some threads about physical therapy before you go in. Not to scare you but so that you know ahead of time not to let the therapists bully you or push you too far, too soon.I can't look back right now but if I remember right you are in the US, right? Physical therapists tend to be very aggressive here and tend to hurt you. I have learned from all these wonderful people on this forum that it doesn't have to be that way. You will do fine! I'm so glad you found this forum. It will be the BIGGEST help for you!! The best of luck to you and we will all be waiting for you post surgery!
Beth
 
Tina....trust me that you will NOT be helpless following surgery.

Absolutely right, the evening of the surgery I was sat in the chair, the day after surgery I went walkabout (on crutches though) around the corridors with all the other hip and knee patients. The second day I was out in the car park for some fresh air, they were just sending out a search party when I got back, but the nurses weren't too happy!!!. There was a fish and chip shop down the road, and I suspect I would have gone there the day after, but they sent me home instead.
The whole experience is nowhere near as bad as you fear, relax!!
 
Thank you everyone. You words of wisdom and encouragement are very helpful. So many fears - of the unknown, of pain, of helplessness. I am just so darn afraid of giving up control. Only 2 days until surgery, so I'm off all pain meds and anti-inflammatories, and boy, I sure can remember at this moment why I need the knee replaced. Since I can't continue to live like this, the surgery is a must. I'm going to read all your words of encouragement over and over.
 
Surgery is scheduled for 11:00 tomorrow morning. I can't believe I'm actually going through with this! Praying that all will go smoothly!
 
I wish you the best. Prayers for your peace of mind, a successful surgery and a easy recovery.
Betty


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@ksmarvin. Good luck tomorrow and we look forward to your postop thread. Let us know how you are doing and keep in mind we are here to support you.
 
@Tina65 Be sure to start a postop thread so we can check in on you and offer our support. Good luck. Mine is 2 weeks away and I know that I will need the encouragement. Good luck!
 
Thank you, Cutter's Mom. Right now I am so scared I'm shaking, but I keep reading the postings on this site and trying to breathe. You said your surgery was two weeks ago. How is it going for you?
 
Yes! Weight loss is something I want to accomplish and right now I'm doing good if I can just stand for 15 minutes at a time. It's getting difficult for me at work and while babysitting my grandchildren. I want my life back!

@ksmarvin Hi Karen, I see that your surgery is scheduled for today. I am assuming that you did not cancel. Please check in when you can and let us know how you are doing. Take care...
 
@Tina65 good luck with your surgery! I had BTKR eight days ago, and I think you'll be amazed just how mobile you are. Also, I definitely wouldn't use the common definition of "pain" to describe my experience - you'll have meds to control the pain. You will be limited in movement though due to the swelling and stiffness. Don't try too much too soon, your recovery will be like no one else's, take your time. You'll figure how you need to do certain things now since your movement will be restricted, but that's all part of it. Go into surgery knowing you'll darn well feel better afterwards, and that the recovery will begin immediately. Reach out to us, we'll help in any way we can :friends:
 
Tina, when I had my PKR I felt like I was the one in control!--I swabbed my own nostrils with betadine (a really loathsome thing to have someone do to you) preop, told the OS I would appreciate it if he would let me go home that day, told my husband to take my scripts and get them filled so we'd have them all ready, also let him know he was to head to Starbucks and get me a latte as soon as I was done in the recovery room. When I woke up in RR the nurse asked me could I use the bedpan as my bladder was distended, told her nope, do a straight cath, this butt is too big and I'm too sleepy to manage, upstairs (sipping my latte) I told the nurses I was going home later. Let them know they could take the IV out because it was positional and the alarm kept hooting. They complied. OS finally got done with all his surgeries, came to see me and write discharge orders, I told him he needed to re-do PT script for outpatient rather than home health care, then I told nurses I was getting up to go to the john and got out of the bed and walked to the toilet with no assistance from anyone. Then I got dressed and headed out to the nurse's station because the wheelchair wasnt getting to the room fast enough to suit me. Got in, rode downstairs, got in the car, waved bye-bye.

Next morning I called the OS's office and let them know I was going to change the dressing because it was saturated and had to go. Then called PT and asked pretty please could they squeeze me in that morning because I was not having home health care and OS wanted daily PT for 2 weeks. Again, everyone complied with my agenda after a polite exchange of information.

Not one of those folks I was bossing around took exception to my being in control, because I (in the OS's words to my husband) had done my homework. Its true that I am a nurse and speak Dr and Nurse language fluently, and therefore it is possible that they respond better to me than to those who are not of their kind.
 
Well I had the surgery on Tuesday and the nurses say I'm moving fine. I don't feel that I am though! It was a tad easier getting up to use the bedside commode today than it was yesterday. I am wondering why I did this right now!
 
@ksmarvin You're wondering why you had the TRK or wondering why you waited so long? I'm happy for you that you came out of surgery just fine and that your nurses say you are doing well. Please keep us updated.
 
@RunA42K I'm wondering why I had this done! Physical therapy wants me to walk today. I can't see it happening. I shuffle to the bedside commode so I don't know how in the world this will happen!
 
Each day that goes by will get better and better. The Physical Therapist knows what they are doing, it's quite common to get you up the first day if not by the second for sure. My first TKR they had me up the first day, then twice a day until I left. My revision they didn't get me up till the 2nd day, then it was twice a day until I went home on the 3rd day. Another reason to get up and 'shuffle' is to prevent DVT (a blood clot). Don't worry, you will eventually be happy with your new knee!
 
@ksmarvin Get thee to the recovery forum! You have translated to "the other side" so Congratulations! You ARE walking if you are "shuffling" to the potty. Practice makes perfect--PT will critque your form and get you walking properly. Moving around also helps you to breathe deeply which keeps your lungs clear and is a necessary part of an uneventful recovery. Hang in there, the first few days are the roughest. Now your walking and life can better instead of steadily worse.
 
I'm posting on an ipad. How do I get to "the other side"?
 
You began this thread in the KR pre-op area. Put your cursor over Knee Replacement in the bar at the top of this page and you will see two listings, one for the Pre Op Area, and one for the Recovery Area. Go to the Recovery Area and start a new thread.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom