Ready to cancel surgery!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely! Now having said all of this, when I have my surgery on 1/28 I will need all this cheerleading pre and post op. I am relying on you guys!
 
@papillon I agree. Life is too short. I am ready to do it now. Easier said now that my knee hurts like hell and tomorrow could be a better day, but I have been riding this roller coaster for 10 years and I am tired. It's time to get off the train and find out what a pain free life can be (after time and therapy. I am not totally unrealistic). OK! Maybe just little LOL!
 
Kudos to all of you newcomers!
You are doing a great job of encouraging one another! :yes!:

Welcome to all of you and know that we have all been where you are now and were scared.
And we say it in interesting ways.
I think it was Roy Gardiner @Roy Gardiner that referred to himself as a "girls blouse" or an English saying along that line. :heehee:

Many of us have gone before you and are ready to cheer you on.
In fact, I'm sure that bottomshollow @bottomshollow must have an icon or two of cheerleaders cheering. :)

All the best to all of you and we are looking forward to hearing about your post op experiences once you've reached the "other side". :SUNsmile:
 
Kudos to all of you newcomers!
You are doing a great job of encouraging one another! :yes!:

Welcome to all of you and know that we have all been where you are now and were scared.
And we say it in interesting ways.
I think it was Roy Gardiner @Roy Gardiner that referred to himself as a "girls blouse" or an English saying along that line. :heehee:

Many of us have gone before you and are ready to cheer you on.
In fact, I'm sure that bottomshollow @bottomshollow must have an icon or two of cheerleaders cheering. :)

All the best to all of you and we are looking forward to hearing about your post op experiences once you've reached the "other side". :SUNsmile:


How do we transition from preop to the postop side? How can we keep track of everyone who has had surgery? Do you provide a link or do you group the together ? Sorry I'm not very technologically advanced.
 
transition from preop to the postop

No worries. Well, step one (sorry it is a pun :groan:) is to have the surgery. That will make you an official post operative member. :)

Members start new threads for our post op experiences and you do that yourself by just starting a new thread in that forum.

Some start their post op thread a few days before so they can post from iphones and the like from the hospital.
Here is the post op forum CLICK HERE where members begin a new thread following their surgery and you can follow their progress.


On the pre op side you can have several threads, on post op you have one thread that contains all of your experiences. By keeping to one post op thread, we can encourage, offer advice, laugh, cry cheer, whatever will help you. Name it something meaningful to you and that others can find when they want to see how you are doing.

To start a new thread, CLICK HERE for the instructions.
Hope that is helpful! :SUNsmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If you go to the tab that says social room we have a weight loss exercise thread going! We realize that people have a difficult time, as do we, so we banded together to be support for each other and anyone who wants to join us! It is not easy to lose weight take it from me! But once I had 2 new knees I got busy on my goal! When the 2nd one finally started behaving in October, Abby my new trainer came into my life and changed it forever! I am in the pool, doing planks from floor level, squats with a yoga ball behind my back carrying a 10 lb. medicine ball around the track with arms fully extended overhead, and all kinds of neat moves to get me to trust my knee! I love exercising again, and want to sign up for a 5K eventually! I have done Zumba and boot camp so far!:happydance:
 
If you guys do much reading here in the pre-op forum, you'll find that just about everyone has apprehension before the big surgery day. Heck, I had my SECOND knee done last March (so I had been through it all before successfully AND I've been part of BoneSmart for years) and I was nervous too. It's just human nature when you're going into something this major. So try not to let it get to you.

However, if you find there is something specific that has you worrying, just post here and ask about it. Chances are others have a similar fear and also chances are good that we can provide information to make you more at ease.
 
Yes,

Jamie is right! Having surgery is nerve wracking! We all went through that! Some of us more than others but we stick around to let you know, there is a great side after recovery for most people! Most of our members have their surgery, post for awhile and then spread their wings and fly! They come back for the New Year's bash, so if you look that up you will see many of the members who are out living life again! :happydance:

I am doing the same, but I choose to be here to let others know there are wonderful things to look forward to! Never give up, keep a positive attitude and laugh as much as possible!
 
So much good advice! I am four weeks post op tomorrow. I was terrified of the anesthesia and post op pain. I kept reading all the posts here - my first forum too. A couple days before surgery a calmness came over me and I was just determined to get myself to a better place. I was sick of avoiding life. You will be surprised at how well and quick you are able to function after. My most important advice is ice ice ice and take your pain medication. Bonesmart mantras have been right on for me and are simple to follow. Thanks to the info I received here I felt I was so far ahead of all the other tkr patients in the hospital and I hope to stay that way. We are all here for you!
 
@RestAssured Thanks for saying learning to trust your knee again. That is one of my biggest issues. I have a personal trainer also and I asked him if I will ever trust them again. It's amazing how your fear messes with your mind. I have a great support team and I know that I will be fine.
 
@Jozilla In my past surgeries I have had the same calmness sweep over me and it helped my determination. Thanks for reminding me of it!
 
Someone pointed out on another thread recently that most of the people who breeze through knee surgery probably are NOT posting on a knee board--however, I am one of the exceptions, so far, cross fingers, knock on wood. I had a PKR, walked out of the hosptial 13 hours after I walked in, started outpatient PT the next day, and was essentially off strong pain medications THREE DAYS after my surgery. I think the "average" experience of knee surgery is somewhere between someone like me and someone who is incapacitated by pain many months after surgery.

I concur that icing, elevating, and taking the meds you need before you need them to avoid chasing the pain are key concepts for recovery. Will add that I am 60, obese, and explored every option but surgery for as long as I could stand to do so. The payoff already is huge, because the knee that was actually bothering me more before surgery is now much better. The knee that was operated on is now much better. I can walk, work, keep house, ride my horses, trim their feet (a fairly strenuous activity), tote buckets of water for my poultry and waterfowl...get the picture? My surgery was 8 weeks ago tomorrow. I will be happy to get the next knee done. I am still icing and elevating, and I know my knee had surgery, ie there is some discomfort, but NOTHING like what I was enduring before. My first day back at work was Friday. I did not ice and elevate during the 8 hour shift but was a lot less uncomfortable than I was during the last shift I worked 11 days before the surgery.

Hope this gives you some perspective that knee surgery doesnt HAVE to be a prolonged saga of agony.
 
Hi Karen, I'm having surgery on my left knee Tuesday, 1-7 and I think it's normal to be a little scared before surgery. I'm overweight mainly because of not being active for so long because of my knee. I was originally scheduled for surgery last fall, but I cancelled because I was reluctant about the process. After doing some research and reading all the encouraging posts here I decided to go ahead with the operation. I just want to wish you the very best whatever you decide to do. Take care. Rob
 
Hi there all you "pre" folks. I am now 5 weeks post-bilateral knee replacement surgery...and one thing I would suggest is that you read some of the early posts on the "after" side to see what people say first hand. It might help offset some of the scare stories you've read. Mostly people seem to report that yes, of course, there is post op pain BUT appropriate use of pain meds makes it bearable and the first few really miserable days are indeed miserable but also pass very quickly. Our bodies have an amazing impulse to heal; all we need to do is provide a little support (all those BoneSmart mantras provide good guidance: rest, ice, elevation, pain meds, etc) and things get better rapidly.

As far as pre-op anxiety, I can tell you I felt like I was going to crawl out of my skin in the couple of days preceding surgery...and I asked my primary care doc to give me something to help with it. For me, a very low dose of xanax once or twice a day kept me sane and much nicer to live with (from my husband's perspective). I don't know if that would be appropriate for you, but it is something to discuss with your doc if you are really miserable with anxiety symptoms.

I also have to say that the patient forums are really wonderful sources of support. So keep reading and posting and ask your fellow forum members if you have questions. There is also a ton of good info in the support area of this website.

Looking forward to seeing your posts on "the other side"
 
Rob-
I wish you the best on your surgery! I hope all goes well. I hope you post on your experiences so we can see your progress!
To everyone- I'm so appreciative of all the responses here. It's great to hear from all of you who have been experiencing so much of what I've been feeling. You all understand! Many times I feel like I'm over reacting and I'm burdening my family and friends with my fears. They just don't get it! They brush me off with..."you'll be fine". Your stories are encouraging me greatly. Tomorrow I go for my pre-op testing so we'll see how that goes!
 
Thanks for saying learning to trust your knee again. That is one of my biggest issues. I have a personal trainer also and I asked him if I will ever trust them again. It's amazing how your fear messes with your mind.

You will be able to trust your knee the day of surgery! Suddenly, you will have a joint that will not give you trouble! Life starts then. Will it be painful when they get you out of bed for PT. Tell your nurse to have meds set up every 4 hours like most drs prescribe, and then take a dose about 30 min before your scheduled PT. That helps immensely! Talk to your OS ahead of time if you have fears about pain, or anything else on your mind. It is hard to think clearly on a morphine pump as I found out!:heehee:
 
Karen
I believe it is natural to feel anxiety and worry about upcoming surgery. My surgery is the same day as yours and I am sure we will both do well. My OS office provided a relaxation CD. So far I haven't listened to it but plan on using it starting tommorrow. Did your OS office provide one for you? Or perhaps you can search for relaxation CD's on the inet. As the time gets closer I do get more nervous but am tired of not having the quality of life that I want. Good luck and I will see you on the other side in a little more than a week.
 
I am also "morbidly obese" and was denied surgery for 10 years because of it. I finally got different insurance and was able to find a surgeon who is quite willing to operate on me. I have other medical issues as well but have been cleared by a cardiologist for surgery. Yes, it's scary, and I know us heavy people make things more difficult for the medical personnel, but at this point I'm almost ready for crutches or a wheelchair and that will only bring more medical issues. Once we get thru the surgery and can get moving again, we will have a decent chance of losing weight and improving our health. So, yes we're scared, but absolutely yes this is the right decision if we want any kind of chance of a normal life. You can do this and you WILL make it thru and be glad you did it. Let's look forward to how we'll be doing 6 mos. post-op and share our success stories.
 
One of the wonderful things about the surgery that was the first time I got on my feet I could tell the knee was *stable.* As others have said, the pain is manageable--just make sure to stay on schedule. Nag in the hospital if you have to--don't try to be a hero or worry about being a "nice patient."
 
I am obese and as it turns out, my OS' BMI limit for surgery went from 40 down to 36. He is a very persnickety, high volume surgeon with an excellent track record who has experienced complications with his more obese patients. My surgeon's nurse told me that I should try to lose weight before surgery to reduce the chance of complications. Ironically, assuming all goes well, I will be having gastric bypass surgery at least 6 weeks before my knee replacement. My OS is all for it, in fact, he was the one who suggested that I have the gastric bypass first. He his not unsympathetic to those of us who struggle with their weight, as he is now challenged by it himself as he gets older!! I agree with Linda, the surgery gives anyone a better chance of being active again and potentially drop ping some weight if they are overweight or obese. I used to racewalk full and half marathons as an overweight/obese woman. My knees had other ideas unfortunately. I would consider it a tremendous blessing to be able to stroll a 5K without pain after surgery.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom