Ready to cancel surgery!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Racewalker45 ,

I am looking forward to walking a 5K in the near future! When I weighed 435 pounds, I had a doctor suggest gastric bypass; but I am the type of person who says if I put the weight on I will get the weight off! I know that for some, gastric bypass is an option that is in their best interest, and I'm glad that you are doing what you feel is necessary to get back "into the game, and off the sidelines!" I wish you well!
 
Well, I had the pre-admission testing done on Monday and it looks like its a "go" for the scheduled surgery. I've been off the anti-inflammatory medicine that I regularly take for a week now and it certainly is evident that it had been helping me cope with the arthritis. I still have so many unanswered questions and worries. Some will only be answered as I take this journey day by day I guess.
Karen
I believe it is natural to feel anxiety and worry about upcoming surgery. My surgery is the same day as yours and I am sure we will both do well. My OS office provided a relaxation CD. So far I haven't listened to it but plan on using it starting tommorrow. Did your OS office provide one for you? Or perhaps you can search for relaxation CD's on the inet. As the time gets closer I do get more nervous but am tired of not having the quality of life that I want. Good luck and I will see you on the other side in a little more than a week.
I Like the idea of the relaxation CD. No, they didn't provide me with one, but since I work in a library, I can find one easily enough. I plan on using this idea when I'm stressing! :)
 
Another idea that might come in handy is one that I used and still am using with people who have anxiety.

Think of the most relaxing vacation spot, a place with a waterfall. The beach w the Ocean, or somewhere that brings a peaceful feeling. As you focus on it, start by lying on your bed and going over each muscle group in your body slowly telling them to relax. Start at the top of your head down to your toes, don't forget the arms and fingers along the way. Notice that your breathing is becoming slower and easier.

Try practicing relaxing this way every day until surgery, maybe with soft music in the background if you wish and you will be fine!

I just got through working with a young woman who has high test anxiety. To mention taking the Personal Training test that she needs to pass and has failed twice would cause sweating of the hands and make her nauseous. One session, and when I "woke her up" I asked her what she needed to study before she takes the test, when she will be taking it etc. all types of questions that would be test related, to see how she responded. She talked freely, and at the end she said, "Oh my gosh, do you realize my palms aren't sweating, my hands aren't shaking, and it don't feel nauseous?" I am ready to finish studying and I know I can pass the test!"

Get the mind in a relaxed state of mind and it is amazing what you can accomplish!:happydance:
 
Get the mind in a relaxed state of mind and it is amazing what you can accomplish!:happydance:

Absolutely right!! I do the same thing.
I used to be terrified of dentists, now it's not unknown for me to go to sleep whilst he's drilling etc. I'd recommend getting some help until you get the hang of it. There are several bits to provide this help on youtube, if you search for guided relaxation.
Here's a typical one,
 
Not to be an alarmist, but I would be a little concerned about having TKRs so soon after gastric bypass. From the people I know who've done the bypass, it takes some time for their systems to adjust to the small meals and problems that result if they eat a little too much. It's kind of a big adjustment for the body to make. However, maybe they have ways to help that now. If your doctors have okayed, then go for it. I'm going to get my knees fixed and then tackle the weight issue when I can move. I don't remember my exact BMI but I know it's over 30 and that Kaiser refused me surgery. Once I left the Kaiser system, I was able to find a surgeon who is willing to do BTKRs for me.
 
I don't think it should be a problem as long as your doctors have okayed the joint replacement. I just attended a conference in December where surgeons were discussing this very thing and not a one mentioned any issues with having the bypass and then joint replacement surgery.

As for needing to adjust to the small meals, you are naturally not very hungry after surgery anyway. Most people eat dramatically differently for the first few months after any surgery....less food, more healthy food, lower fat and more water. This would be a good time to take advantage of all of Poppet's nutrition articles.
 
As @jeano said earlier in this thread, not everyone has problems with surgery and some of us that don't are still posting here! I guess I'd have to consider myself a success story in that I didn't have much pain and recovered rather quickly with both of my surgeries. I'm well aware that this is not always the case, but don't assume you will be in horrible pain and that your recovery will take forever. Mind you, I kept up with my pain meds and spent lots of quality time with my ice machine! While there will be pain after the surgery, it is most definitely a different type of pain than arthritis pain. It is a healing pain that will get better as time goes on, unlike arthritis pain that continues to get worse.
 
Thanks for the feedback Jamie! The nutrition articles are very helpful. Gastric bypass surgery makes good nutrition practices even more important.
 
A good friend had the bypass surgery and has done extremely well--she is also a RN and is now no longer diabetic, which of course has enormous positive implications for her overall health, ability to heal, life expectancy and on and on. She really loves food but no longer is able to overindulge and she does in fact emphasize foods that are nutritionally dense rather than merely calorically dense. For her it was very likely life saving and certainly life enhancing.
 
I didn't mean to sound as if I'm against bypass surgery - not at all. I was just a little concerned about the limited time between that and TKR, but I'm certain the doctors know way more than I do! I would certainly consider it myself if I had insurance that would cover it.
 
Hi I had TKR on 2nd jan and was absolutely petrified. I too am overweight. Now just over a week post op and my new knee feels strong. I can walk with crutches and am optimistic. Yes there is pain but as with any surgery it is manageable with meds. Good luck on 14th. It will soon be over and done with.
 
Hi Karen! Hope you're hanging in there! Your surgery is two days away! Hopefully you're keeping busy and trying to keep your mind off things to come. Many of us here, myself included, had a sense of peace the day before surgery and even the morning of. Can't wait to start reading your recovery thread!:)
 
Yes, only 2 days away. My left knee (the one to be operated on) is REALLY acting up today and thus confirms my decision to have this done. This is probably a dumb question, but...oh well, here goes...Will the pain meds take care of the arthritis pain I'm having in my thumb joint as well? My left thumb is very swollen and painful and I'm concerned as to how this will affect my use of a walker once the surgery is done. If only they had something that would clear up all the arthritis in all parts of the body at once!
 
Thank goodness! That's the type of reply I was hoping for :)
 
The pain medication should help you with your other arthritis pain. Hope this helps. I wish you an uneventful recovery and look forward to your updates Remember we are here for you!
 
Hi Karen, I'm new, too (just found this website yesterday). My surgery is scheduled for this Wednesday, and you have expressed every single thing that's been bothering me, except one: I am so afraid of being helpless and having other people control me. I dread not being able to use the bathroom the first few days. I'm shaking as I type this.
 
@Tina65 ,

Wow, those feelings washed over me when I had my first knee replaced also! No privacy, having sponge baths the first few days, and being woken up at all different times according to their schedule, not mine!

Well, as I look back now, no I didn't like the lack of privacy, but understood the need for safety. After your knee is replaced, you won't worry as much about giving up control.

Think about down the road when you have finished your rehab and you are on your way to a pain free life! That is the best feeling of all!:happydance:
 
Tina....trust me that you will NOT be helpless following surgery. In most cases you are up and walking either that day or the day following. If you have a catheter, it is removed as soon as you are walking. You will be on pain medication but it doesn't make you a zombie. You will be alert enough to ask for help or tell a therapist that they are pushing you too hard. You won't be a lump under constant control of others....so please try not to worry about that!! Actually, you'll be "you" but better....no arthritis pain!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom