THR Ready for the blessings coming my way...

Status
Not open for further replies.
@younghippie
You are so right.....positive reinforcement of the good things helps to get back on track.....sometimes it's hard when your body won't cooperate as you would wish (well, it never co-operates!). I try to tell myself that it could be a whole lot worse & that also I am getting older and can't do all I want as quickly & as agile as I'm used to.
It must be harder for you as you are a youngster by comparison....I do hope you can get in that pool soon! X



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Me2 Sorry you are feeling low....I started with no patience....gained some....and lost it again.....it's frustrating when all you want is your life back...pain free (that's obviously far too much to ask for!!!!). I'm sure it will all get better in the end....sigh!
You've had two major surgeries...two traumas.....your body needs time to adjust & I'm sure it will. Thinking of you...Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@younghippie - I can certainly relate to the knee issue! I had my left hip replaced last May. The hip is doing well but my right knee has problems - I guess those years of limping put a strain on my right knee. It's bone on bone and my doctor said eventually I will need a knee replacement. My symptoms are not too severe (nowhere near the pain I had in my hip!) so I've done PT and a series of Orthovisc injections (which can be repeated in May). I do have problems going up and down a lot of stairs, but, I know it's because my knee is bone-on-bone, so, for now, I try to do the exercises PT showed me to strengthen it (pretty much the same as the hip exercises!). I hope you get your knee checked out! Perhaps PT might help?
 
Thanks, @cami515 Have the strengthening exercises for your knee helped with going up and down stairs?
 
The exercises help more with walking with less discomfort - not so much with stairs. But, your knee might not be as worn down as mine! I had an X-ray done first and they could tell from that alone that the cartilage has really worn down...So, now my OS is keeping an eye on it.
 
Hi Everyone! The hip is doing well and I am happily moving about very well these days. I popped on here to ask a dental question. I had a dental crown done today (my tooth was prepped and temp placed on.) I've never had a crown before and was surprised at the length of time it took and how beat up my mouth feels right now! Of course the thoughts of antibiotics are in my mind (I took pre med). There is an area around the base of the temp crown where my gums are very red and maybe even bleeding a tiny bit. They didn't seem to be bleeding when I left the dentist, but I may have poked that area accidentally with toothbrush. Now when I spit, I can see a small amount of blood in my saliva. If I have an open wound in my mouth, should I be taking antibiotics????

Has anyone been given antibiotics
(more than just the pre med ) for something like this? Happy Good Friday!
 
Hi Younghippie - I was told to take antiobiotics 1 hour before any dental procedure (or any invasive procedure) ....I believe there is some "controversy" about doing this, but if you didn't take them prior to the procedure I would definitely call your primary doctor...
 
Hi @younghippie! So glad to hear how well your hip is doing. I've also had both hips done and I'm so glad I did! Anyway, I also had to have new crown since my hip surgery, and not only did the oral surgeon have me take antibiotics prior to the procedure because of the hip replacement, but he also prescribed antibiotics for about a week or so following the procedure. I would definitely contact your dentist (and your orthopedic surgeon's office) to see what they recommend. Hope it all works out well for you!
 
Hi @MsFit1 ! It is so good to hear from you. We will both have our one year hip anniversaries soon! Hard to believe. Hope you are doing well. Congrats on getting both of your hips done!

That is interesting that your surgeon prescribed antibiotics for a week. If my gums still look so red tomorrow, I will call the dentist. I think dentists vary and she will likely not want to prescribe more (I asked her about it before I left and she said no... but, I didn't know my gums were bleeding until later. I think my ortho surgeon would say no also, but might contact them.) The bleeding has stopped, so hopefully it will heal up quickly. Did you have very sore gums. If so, for how long?
 
@MsFit1 P.S. I noticed that you said "oral surgeon." Did you have your crown done at a regular dentist office or go to an oral surgeon? I went to an endodontist before this crown to test the nerve and it was so nice... so clean, professional... they seemed to take things a bit more seriously. I asked him to do my crown but he said no, he didn't do them. My dentist's office is very clean and nice and everything... I just thought it would be nice if people with health concerns (like joint replacement) could have their dental work performed in a more "surgical" environment.
 
Hi! Glad to hear that several of us are doing well! I've been going through a dental implant procedure (the process takes months) and last week the oral surgeon "unburied" the implant in prep for the upcoming crown. I took antibiotics before the procedure and antibiotics for a week since this involved an incision and two small stitches. I definitely would call your oral surgeon/dentist or doctor! Interestingly, I think my OS told me he only does preventative antibiotics for the first year, though, my dentist feels otherwise, so, definitely different schools of thought on this one!
 
@younghippie, sorry I didn't go into much detail before and I suspect my crown was probably a lot more involved than your procedure, and maybe that's why I was given the antibiotics for a longer period of time. I have very complicated dental/gum issues, and both my oral surgeon AND my dentist work are working together. Like cami515 I had to have a dental implant which is a "micro surgery", and was performed by the oral surgeon. He then put in a temporary crown (that my regular dentist fitted me for) to use while the the implant is "taking root" and healing. He prescribed medication for swelling and pain as well as the antibiotics. So now that I think about it, the antibiotics were probably more for the surgical procedure than just the crown being put in. I hope I didn't alarm you! Anyway now after months of waiting, everything is now pretty much healed and next I have to see my regular dentist again for the final permanent crown to be put in - so the question will be are they going to give me antibiotics to take after the crown placement??? Time will tell!
 
Thanks @MsFit1 ! That makes sense. I asked my dentist and surgeon and both didn't think I needed any additional antibiotics. So, I guess it's not typical to have additional antibiotics for a regular crown procedure. Good to know... this is a learning process for all of us! :) Hope your teeth (and hips) are doing well! I appreciate your helpful messages. Thanks!!!
 
Hi All,

It's been a while since I posted. It's been 18 months since my THR and I was doing very well. Yesterday, I was slipping off my tennis shoes and on my operated side, my foot stuck slightly in the shoe (I didn't lift high enough or something) and I twisted my body around quickly at the same time, trying to turn and move. My foot on my operated side stayed in place and my waist/body turned in the opposite direction, creating an inward motion on that hip (which my hip shouldn't be doing.) I had a very sharp pain and quickly corrected so that nothing terrible seemed to happen. I stepped away and seemed fine. I was active for the rest of the afternoon. Then, a few hours later, I went to lift my body up from a bent position and that area hurt again, very sharp pain that stopped me in my tracks. By the end of the evening, the pain progressed and I had trouble stepping on it. I woke up this morning and could barely walk. It hurts to put weight on it. There is no pain if I lay down or sit in a normal position.

My instinct is that this is a muscular thing, as my surgeon told me that if I dislocated or really hurt the new joint, it would be so painful, I would have to call an ambulance. It's very painful, but only when I step on it or pull up from a bent position. The pain is in the front of my thigh/hip area. It is right on top of the hip joint/ where the hip meets the thigh. It is sharp muscular pain, but of course, I am concerned, as I just had THR on that side 18 months ago.

Any ideas of what this could be? @Josephine Any thoughts?

Thanks all!!! Hope everyone is doing well!!!!!!

My husband took my little one out trick or treating (as I can't walk well without crutches). :( Trying to stay positive.
 
I wouldn't imagine it's anything serious as you are moving around on it. So I tend to thinks it's a strain or a sprain.

However, can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?
Please note the instructions in the smaller image

[Bonesmart.org] Ready for the blessings coming my way...


[Bonesmart.org] Ready for the blessings coming my way...
 
Thank you so much @Josephine for your help!!

The pain runs from the top right corner of the square DL4F and up across CL5F. It is sharp shooting pain that happens when I step on that side or when I try to get up from a bent position.

Thank you so much!!!!!
 
About here?

[Bonesmart.org] Ready for the blessings coming my way...


I think it could well be a muscle strain. Go see a chiropractor and see if he can help you.
If not, see your surgeon again.
 
@Josephine
The green area is where the pain starts and it shoots upward in a diagonal away from my hip, if that makes sense. Do you think there is any possibility that I could have hurt the new joint? My surgeon is at Emory, so it is a long wait to get in. But, if I think it's urgent, they will fit me in sooner. Thanks so much for your kindness and quick response!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom