THR Ready for the blessings coming my way...

Status
Not open for further replies.
@toohip, thanks for your reply! That's interesting that you were given a dose after the procedure... I was only given antibiotics 1 hour before the procedure.

Curious what other bonesmart members were given?
 
Hi @younghippie - Yeah, my dentist just said take 2 prior to procedure...but the email from my OS has me taking prior and one pill after procedure...so my dentist said just follow my OS advice.
 
My dose is 2000 mg Amoxicillin one hour before any "invasive" procedure. OS listed dental, gyne as two examples
 
I had a filling 6 months post op & had no antibiotics. Here in the UK they are not given prophylactically at all...I've had no problem! X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks, @Me2 ! That is exactly what mine prescribed. Does anyone else have anxiety with dental work? I was hoping not to have any work done for a while. ... then surprise... a cracked tooth!!! It was not a pleasant surprise... more because of the worry about infection than the dental work. Am I the only one that worries????
 
No you are not the only one that worries about needing dental work soon after hip replacement. They stressed the dangers of infection very clearly to me pre op. I usually go for dental cleaning every three months, so I am not feeling good about waiting the minimum 6 months. And I have thought to myself I sure hope nothing goes wrong right now. I did read an article about where they did a study of so many people who had dental work done shortly after hip surgery and compared to those that had no surgery, and the rate of infections was nearly identical. In fact some organizations have dropped the recommendations about the antibiotics. But old protocols take a long time to change, so most Drs. still advise them. You did have antibiotics so I am sure you won't have problems. I would think the risk is very low. Hope you don't worry too much. I know stress is not good for us. Good luck!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All! Hope 2015 is treating everyone well.

I am doing very well. My hip is very strong and generally doing very well. The thing I am still struggling with is stairs. I have knee pain after or while trying to go up stairs. Very difficult to go up with full weight on operated side. It's been 8 months since my THR. When I mentioned this to my surgeon a couple of months after surgery, he said they like to allow about a year for healing. He wasn't concerned and said stairs are the last thing to come for many. I had not walked up stairs on my bad side for about 4-5 years before surgery. I am trying to determine if I should just give it more time or start looking into the possibility of problems with my knee.

Is anyone else having difficulty with stairs after THR (several months after surgery?)
 
Hi @younghippie I'm glad to hear that you are doing very nicely. You are at 8 months; I am now at 9 months.
I would say that I am also doing very nicely.
I will tell you that going down stairs for me is normal; going up stairs normally (one foot per stair) is fine ((as long as I have a handrail to hold on to))
I think my quads are just still weak from under use, but I have seen my steps getting better with time.
So I would agree with your Doc.

All the best in 2015......
 
@MajorHeidi, So glad to hear from you! Great to hear that you are doing well. :)
Thanks for sharing your experience. That makes me feel better.

All the best to you in 2015 as well! :wave:
 
So great to hear from you! I can't help with the knee pain as I am struggling with that (BTKR). I'm hoping that the one year mark is a great transition! Have a great 2015!
 
he said they like to allow about a year for healing.
Your doc is right. It took me over a year to recover from my LTHR.
I had not walked up stairs on my bad side for about 4-5 years before surgery.
And this is why it takes a bit longer to recover. You limped around for quite awhile. Muscles and soft tissue are now having to work in different ways. You might benefit from working with a good physiotherapist. Have you had any PT yet?
 
I had my RTHR 15 months ago and my knee is still playing me up.....when you think of how you walked pre op and how it must affect the muscles & tendons elsewhere!! I had an X-ray and they say there is signs of OA but not at operable stage.
I've been advised to lose 14 pounds of weight to alleviate pressure.
I've found swimming & water walking really helps the knee pain & strength....hope it gets better soon for you.
My hip is fabulous...no pain...no stiffness ...if only the rest of me was as good @younghippie.
Take care.... Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
My hip is fabulous...no pain...no stiffness ...if only the rest of me was as good

I feel the same and was feeling very SAD this morning, last night, last week, last month -- Surgeon had suggested a month of PT because of lower back (actually lower back, upper back, neck and shoulders but . . . ). I am fighting cold and struggled to therapy last night, feeling frustrated :tantrum2: with lack of progress, and grumped at therapist. She responded with a "just be patient as healing from hip surgery takes a year" GRRRRRRRR :headbang:

I thought I had patience implanted with this hip (3 months today!) but it must of seeped out somehow. No more patience left. I felt so good for 8-9 weeks after surgery that I want it back. I guess I just have to appreciate my fabulous hips and that they don't hurt. But no, no knee pain, just my aching back :old:
 
@PuppyLove So good to hear from you! Wow!!! BTKR!!! I just found your thread and caught up on you. Congrats on your new knees. Glad to see that your husband is ok as well. You've had a quite a time recently. Hope things go smoothly for you this year and that you continue to do well! ;)
 
@Jaycey Thank you so much for the encouragement. I had several months of PT after my THR. I suppose I need to think about returning. Thanks for your kind words! :)
 
@Hoppy Nanny So good to hear from you, Chrissie! Sounds like your hip is doing really well. I do find that swimming is a great relief (for all of my joints). I literally would not have thought of that, as it has been below freezing here. Thanks for the reminder. I might hit the community pool soon! Hope your hip continues to do well! :)
 
@Me2 Sorry you've been down. I remember being on a high at about 2 months after THR and then feeling down around 3 or 4 months as my progression really slowed down. I guess it's normal to have highs and lows. I seem to go through spells where I am doing more and more and it feels like new found freedom. Then suddenly, I'll push myself too hard and find myself flat on my back with ice packs for a few days (or if it's really bad... a few weeks) missing out on everything. One thing I have been telling myself when it happens... "Just remember, this won't last. You'll be up and going again in no time (even if it takes a few weeks.)"
If I remember to tell myself that, I don't get as worked up. I hope you are feeling better soon! :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom