Guest viewing is limited

THR Ready for the blessings coming my way...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you aren't having a visiting nurse at this time then I think moms4tne has the right idea. See your GP or a walk-in clinic for removal of the bandage. That will ease your mind that everything is okay. After this amount of time, you shouldn't worry about infection if the wound appears healed (which it probably will be). And once the wound is actually closed up, you really do want it open to the air and not bandaged. Most bandages are removed at the 10-14 day period, so you're certainly within the right time for it to come off.
 
I had my surgery on March 20th and had internal dissolvable stitches and surgical adhesive to close the incision and went home with only steri strips over that which I removed as soon as they peeled off on both edges approximately two weeks later. I was told the incision didn't need to covered because moisture from showers that I began taking on March 27th would cause wetness to accumulate under the bandage and put me at risk for infection. I at no time has oozing from my incision and though the skin of the incision was red it was never inflamed and I was instructed to come in right away if I saw any oozing or swelling that wasn't there when I was in the hospital so if I were you I would go in and let your surgeon or his PA look at it. You are in your post op period and can go in everyday with questions if you want to so don't be afraid to have your concerns addressed.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
3 week update... I really turned a corner at about 2 1/2 weeks. I would describe it as getting my strength back. I can use a cane or crutches now. I can walk without anything for short distances (like if I am working in the kitchen and a counter is close by to grab onto if needed.) This past weekend, I was able to do a lot of new things. I cooked meals with my husband, washed dishes, helped with laundry, baked a cake and even went grocery shopping for about 45 minutes (with nothing but the grocery cart for support.) I can also now do all of the PT exercises for the first time. I can see that I will have my life back in a couple of months.
For those that come after me, take heart... it will get better. The recovery is slow and be prepared for that. I say that I can do all of the things above... I remember reading posts like that and imagining I would be gliding about at 2 weeks like I did 10 years ago. The reality is, although I can do all of the things I mentioned above, I am moving slowly and with caution. But, the arthritis pain is gone and I can tell already the joint is stronger than it was before surgery. So exciting! Hope everyone here is doing well!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like life is moving smoothly- isn't that a great feeling? I find it so peaceful to work on my gait when walking vs. figuring out how to walk with the least amount of pain (pre surgery). THR is a miracle for me so far, and I'm only 16 days post op. I'm trying to be like you - counting all the small blessings along the way! :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks, @PuppyLove ! :)

Things are going smoothly. I am making progress and feel that things are going well. I do have a question for experienced hippies...

How long was it before you could lift things (like boxes that weigh about 20 lbs) from the ground and bend down and sort through things? I have some organizing projects in my home that I have been putting off for over a year because I just couldn't even lift something lightweight like a 20 lb box. I couldn't bend down very far either and it just was too difficult. One thing I look forward to is getting some of these projects done (sorting through clutter in guest bedroom, etc.) I just can't imagine when I'll be able to do that again. I am at about 3 1/2 weeks and can see that I'll be pain free (yeah!), but I can't really figure out how long it will take until I can move independently enough and with enough strength to safely do those types of things again. Does anyone remember how long before they could bend down, lift and spend hours organizing... working around house?
Thanks! You all are the best! :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had my post op appointment today. PA was rude...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
No, that's not true! Or, at least there is a little more to it than that. Before THR your ROM was probably limited by pain and the damage to your joint, right? After THR, your soft tissues are recovering from the trauma of surgery. As you heal, your ROM will naturally improve. If you want more ROM, you can try a pilates or yoga class or do some of the stretches in our Library. That's up to you.

I've always done yoga and/or pilates to support my other athletic activities. Last winter I hurt my foot and was unable to do the sorts of exercise I usually do. I could still do yoga, so I did... every day for two months. I have ROM like I've never had. I can bend over and press flat palms to the floor without bending my knees. I can do full lotus. I have never been able to do that. Not even at your daughter's age.

So, if I could develop more ROM at four years post-THR, I feel confident saying that you have lots and lots of time to gain ROM.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What an awful visit you had. That is just wrong.....
I had terrible ROM before the THR.
I could not put foot on knee nor clip my toenails.
Now I can do both, and tie my shoes, and put on my sock.
PT is also helping to strengthen various weak muscles which helps even more.

So, do NOT believe this jerk. It will get better!
 
I just posted on my thread today the difference in my ROM in just three weeks. My surgeon told me before surgery it may not be like when I was twenty, but I understood lots of things will not be the same on my body as when I was 20! Lol. My ROM is already triple what it was and I am not even healed. I had anterior so I may see that faster .. You will have WAY better ROM now.. He sound like an arrogant jerk.. But I must say I believe your surgeon should be seeing you now.. Not his assistant. I would demand that even if that is not they way they do it. Just my thought.


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
So sorry that happened, sweetie. What a jerk! Clearly he is aggressive and obnoxious and a liability to your surgeon. Honestly, I'd make a formal complaint - you and hubby both, in writing - to your surgeon, especially because of this guy's attitude in front of your daughter. He keeps the guy employed - he needs to take responsibility. Imagine how many of this surgeon's patients have had less than optimal results (or have changed doctors) just because of this one idiot! Then I'd request a follow up appointment with your surgeon so that you can get the real scoop on your progress - you feeling good about how you're doing helps you maintain the positive attitude you need to kick some booty and get on with your new life!

More importantly, for you: remember, this guy does not get to define your recovery! As evidenced here, he knows nothing! Think of people who were in wheelchairs prior to this surgery who come out walking - honestly, the WHOLE POINT of doing it is to improve quality of life! So for him to say your ROM won't be any better than is was pre-op is just wrong. Maybe he meant your ROM before your hip started to get bad? (I usually try to give ppl the benefit of the doubt - it usually comes back to bite me LOL). Write your letter, get it out of your system, and then get on with the business of getting back to FABULOUS!!!

(Hey, if you need more encouragement, just browse around these recovery threads! Over and over again, people expressing how limited their lives were - the pain, the things they could no longer do - and the joy they now feel to be living a happy, healthy, pain-free life! Why should your experience be any different?)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! The relief is absolutely incredible..right? I am 8 weeks to the day out. Honestly, have never felt more fit or more appreciative of my good health.:loll:
 
@alexthecat Thank you! That is so encouraging to hear how much you are able to do. You should get a picture of yourself in the lotus position and submit it for the amazing hip replacement recoveries thread!
 
@MajorHeidi That is just what I was hoping for. I just want to be able to clip and polish my own toenails again! You are always so encouraging and supportive. Thanks for being there for me!
 
We already have a photo of someone doing lotus after THR. Have you seen that? Amazing!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
Now that you mention it... I do remember seeing that back when I first joined BS. It was a huge motivator for me. Very impressive!!! :) I used to LOVE yoga back in my twenties. I honestly hadn't even thought about doing it, as I have been so stiff for a few years. It just became too hard to get down on the ground. I do have a yoga dvd somewhere for people with injuries. It gives optional positions using chairs, etc... I need to dig that up and try it again! Thanks for your encouragement! :)
 
@psychteach It's funny that you posted about your ROM improvement on the same day that I brought this up. Glad you are doing so well! Thank you! :)
 
@moms4tne Thanks for your support, friend! I am feeling better already. :) Everything happens for a reason. It's funny how God gives us experiences and we can choose what to do with them... I keep thinking about how vulnerable this experience made me feel. I remember too how defensive my husband was of me. If nothing else, I was given perspective yesterday. I was reminded of what I have been through and how taxing this experience is on us. I am so blessed to have support... both with my family and here with friends on BS! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom