Guest viewing is limited

THR Ready for the blessings coming my way...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using my cane upside down. Hook the hook under your arch.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi All! It's been exactly 2 weeks since my surgery, so I thought I would give an update.

Doing great! I stopped taking pain medication during week one. I can get into bed now without assistance (thanks to those above for the suggestions!) I am walking about throughout the day doing small task (fixing small meal, showering, folding laundry, etc.) and then quickly finding my way back to my bed or recliner to put my feet up. I am doing my pt exercises that were sent home with me. I am having trouble with a couple of them, but am just trying a little more each day with them. I was told at the hospital that "I passed with flying colors" and that I didn't need at home pt or anything (just do the exercises on sheet). This sounded good to me, as I didn't particularly want people coming into my house. My incision has internal stitches, glue and waterproof bandage, so they didn't need to care for that. I follow up with my surgeon in a couple of weeks and he will let me know if he thinks I need outpatient pt at that point. He said his goal for me is to walk 2-3 miles in 2-3 months. So, I guess he is in the camp of less conservative pt... walking is best. I like that.

I can technically walk with a cane, but I had a little incident several days ago where I decided to try to walk across the room with the cane for first time. No one was around, but my daughter. I did ok halfway across the room and then sort of felt like I was going to collapse for no apparent reason. I caught myself and was fine. It scared my daughter and I decided I'd go back to the walker for a little while. It's like my hip feels weak when I try to walk with anything less than walker. I don't know if it's just sore or maybe even the fact that I don't take pain meds (I feel every little ache, pain, stiffness, etc... as I move.) I am going to slowly try again with the cane (when my husband is nearby) this week and try to get closer to that. I do have a really cool walker though that makes it easy to move really quickly about. The wheels spin in all directions and are smooth and quick. I'll post a pic. Everyone that has stopped by gets a real kick out of it because it is bright pink with zebra print.

Let's see... what else has changed... I am walking at a quicker pace with much bigger strides (almost normal, with slight limp... again though, this is while using walker.) When I try to step forward with no assistance at all, it's like the first step is pretty painful and almost feels like I am going to fall. I am just hoping this gets better with time. I have no bruising, not really any incision pain, itching or problems. Still sleeping very well. Was 8-11 hours straight though the night when I came home- first week. This week- I sleep about 8-9 hours straight through the night. I think I'm sleeping better than I did before the surgery. Hopefully that's a good sign that the pre op pain is gone for good.

I was given no restrictions by my surgeon, but feel very aware of the fact that I could hurt myself if I'm not careful. I have found myself stronger and putting myself in precarious positions this week... twisting, stretching and reaching... feel some pain and scare myself to death. So, I'm trying to just be cautious and not do too much. I read other people's threads and think... hmmm... maybe I should push myself more. But, I have had a couple of close calls with falling/tripping and I think I have resigned myself to just being really cautious for the next few weeks. The last think I want to do is undo this amazing work that my surgeon has done. So, I am moving forward slowly but surely. I think in about a month, I will be very independent again and enjoying my new hip. Hope you all are doing well! I have been reading everyone's threads. This will be a great summer for us all!!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Ready for the blessings coming my way...
@younghippie, and you're right to just take it easy and move slowly from one thing to the next. We all heal and recover at our own unique rate; and as long as you're getting better each day, then you're doing fine.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Love that walker---it's a keeper! But what I really, really LOVE is your gorgeous cat---I am a cat lover---and this one is a beauty and probably knows it, too.
 
Thanks, @bottomshollow ! Yes, she knows she is gorgeous, as you can see... she had to saunter over and "pose" in front of the walker when she saw I was using my camera. She is always jumping in front of the camera! She is very special - a real full blood Siberian cat (hypo allergenic - just google it if you've never heard of them.) My husband is severely allergic to cats. I thought I'd never have a cat again after we were married. I was so sad... LOVE cats. Then we found out about Siberians on an Animal Planet Cats 101 special. Found a breeder right here in Atlanta area. She sits on him and gets all over his stuff... no reaction what so ever! When we have people visit that have cat allergies, they love to hold her. It's like a miracle for them... no reaction!
 
She is beautiful! Do you groom her yourself or take her somewhere for that?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
@younghippie What a great report - so happy for you:) Love the walker and the cat. I'll be googling the breed as I am also very allergic and didn't know about Siberians-thanks.
 
That is one groovie hip walker.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@younghippie My PT and I were talking just today about the walker/crutches/cane transitions and she explained exactly what you experienced with the cane. The adductor muscles along the side of your thigh are instrumental in holding the joint steady. When they're not fully healed - which takes about 4 wks as I understand it - you will get a "noodle" type effect with your leg when you don't have proper support when walking. Don't know which type of approach you had - I had a "direct lateral" which means my incision is right along the line where the seam of a pant leg would go. I am not allowed to extend my leg out sideways for four weeks because of the trauma to the adductor muscles. I think you should check with your OS before you push a cane. Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint. Hugs!!


2014May5 - RTHR Direct Lateral Approach
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks @moms4tne ! That was just what I needed to hear! It makes perfect sense. I had posterior. Sounds like my incision is probably just slightly higher and over a bit from where your incision is located. But, it is on the side and muscle was cut. The PT at the hospital told me not to do the exercise where you push your leg out sideways (lying down) for 2 weeks. It isn't even possible (I tried yesterday.) I was starting to think I may be behind or something. Maybe it is the approach we had. That makes perfect sense about the cane. I was trying to figure out why I felt so good otherwise, but felt weakness when I tried to walk with less assistance. It also makes sense about the 4 weeks you mentioned... my os doesn't have patients return until 4 weeks after surgery, where I've heard so many others return in 2 weeks. I guess he can get a better idea of where you should be after it has healed. Thank you so much for sharing all of that info. That was so helpful!
 
@younghippie Sounds exactly right - I know the PT told me I had muscle cut through because of the OS' warning about the adductor muscle and that same exercise - but for 4 wks, not two. That is really the only place I've had ongoing discomfort - this muscle up the thigh and around to my lower bum cheek. At this point I can weight bear on both feet equally without my crutches, but I wouldn't dare try to walk without complete support covering the operated side. I just know it's not even close to being able to support me and the extra lbs I'm carrying these days.

We're doin' ok - the point of the journey is to get to a pain-free "normal". We'll be there before you know it! Yay!


2014May5 - RTHR Direct Lateral Approach
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks @moms4tne ! I agree... better safe than sorry. I will be more careful about transitioning from walker and making sure I have support. I have even found myself standing at kitchen counter and trying to reach up and over and felt I could lose my balance and fall so easily. The strength just isn't there yet.
 
Isn't it great that we're all here together - the support and sharing of info and encouragement is awesome :)


2014May5 - RTHR Direct Lateral Approach
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have a question... My incision has internal stitches w/glue and waterproof bandage. I haven't had any problems with it. There has been a tiny bit of drainage and I was reassured by dr. that this is normal. It has been 15 days since my surgery. My waterproof bandage is still intact over my incision. I contacted my surgeon's nurse today and asked if I should remove the bandage (my os said it would start to peel away at about 10 days and I could pull it off.) It never really started to peel away and I didn't mess with it. He said that I can take it off today. He told me how and that it should look clean and dry. I told him there was a tiny bit of dried fluid under the bandage that I could see from days ago/last week. He said that is totally normal, no worries. So, my question is... do you all think it's a good idea to remove the bandage? Any harm in leaving it on? I'm afraid that I'll pull it off and find that my incision isn't completely healed. Wouldn't that leave it vulnerable to infection?
 
I suggest you go in to your surgeon and have them take it off. At least they have the right dressings and can check its ok and reassure you.:D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had internal stiches, a ton of glue, and the waterproof bandage.
they insisted it come off on day 8.
It's odd, how the protocols are so different on some things, and similar on others.
I would slowly take it off....
 
My OS approved my visiting nurse to change my bandage on post op day 3. I have internal sutures and surgical glue, bandage was not waterproof. When I shower the bandage gets a little wet, so hubby changes it ( used to be a paramedic) and I haven't had any drainage. I see OS on Friday. After I shower, I don't use a towel on that area- I remove the bandage and gently dry with hair dryer set to "cool"- my incision looks pretty good so far!
 
@younghippie It's understandable that you would be concerned about what to do after, if by chance your incision isn't fully healed. Plus, with your approach (like mine) it's a bit difficult to see the incision for close inspection. I see no harm in going even to your GP or a walk-in clinic (doesn't have to be your OS) for some help getting it off. There's a trick to removing so that the adhesive doesn't pull - mine applied in hospital was quite stuck and I was glad my nurse friend (rather than hubby) removed it. She had the touch. Then, if it's not quite healed, they're stocked and prepared to re bandage for you. This sorta happened for me yesterday when I was due for staples to come out. My GP felt wise to take half out, and wait a few more days. So I have a new bandage today! Cheers!


2014May5 - RTHR Direct Lateral Approach
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom