THR Ready for the blessings coming my way...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing great. Went 11 hours with no pain meds... Just felt fine, like I didn't need them. Then I got sore when
walking to bathroom this morning. Asked for pain meds and feel better already. Pain is like a 2. Slept for 8 hours last night (interrupted by nurses to check bp) Seeing improvement already. Can walk at a slightly quicker pace (with walker.) Can slide leg a little better across bed. Pt is coming again and then I should be able to head home. Staff/food is great here. Do feel a bit nauseated after walking... Maybe it's all the different meds in my system.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and prayers!
 
SO happy to hear that all went well and you are feeling good. I'm to try stairs today - if I do well, I can go home tomorrow. Not sure I'm ready for that but we shall see!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm at home! Headed home in the early afternoon after PT. PT was rough on me and I was sore afterwards, but am feeling pretty good in bed now with legs elevated. Super tired... heading to sleep. Thanks again everyone for all of the kind messages!
 
Slept for almost 10 hours last night. Would have slept longer if my darn phone wasn't ringing off the hook this morning. :)

I am having knee pain on my operated side. Did anyone else have this. It's actually quite painful to do ankle pumps... hurts my knee. PT thought my knee may be not "tracking" correctly. That was discouraging to hear, but I think it's too early to think about stuff like that considering the trauma my knee could have gone through. I am going to think positive. Maybe it will work itself out.
 
Congratulations to my surgery buddy! I'm so glad you are doing so well. Even though we were miles apart, it felt good to know I had someone close to my age doing the same thing. I keep hearing that the firstly few days are the worst and the. It's down hill from there! Whatdoyasay we kick this pain in the backside and start living our new life! I don't know about you but I can't wait.
 
@younghippie are you taking your pain meds regularly? That knee pain sounds like post op pain. Take your meds around the clock for now. They will help you get more mobile and overcome the post op soft tissue trauma.
 
Hi @younghippie hope you feeling a bit better. Glad your home now, much easier to recover at home than in hospital. Is it easier than u imagined? Xx
 
@Jaycey Thanks for your message. I am taking pain meds regularly. I had knee pain before the surgery. Contacted doctor's office yesterday and they said to try ankle pumps with leg elevated. That helps. Also, I think I was doing too many of them. PT said to do them everytime I was still... like hundreds of times a day. I was doing it maybe dozens... maybe 100 times a day. I looked at my pt sheet and it says to do them 5-10 times 2x a day. Big difference! :loll:
@lanice1972 Thanks for your message. Yes, we are in this together! :console2:
 
@busymum ... you asked if it was easier than I imagined... good question... the funny thing is that I didn't think too much about recovery. I was so worried about getting myself through the actual procedure... the anxiety, making sure I was choosing best doctor, hospital, etc...

I am surprised by how little pain I have if I am just lying in bed. There is almost no pain if I'm not moving. So, if you think of something you've dealt with with a lot of pain, like giving birth, it's not quite like that. You know how you can't get away from the pain during childbirth... it's not like that. I can be really still and the pain is almost gone. Also, you can take pain meds and that really gets rid of the pain. It is maybe a little harder to walk than I imagined. It's like I am just really sore and my hip doesn't want me to put weight on it...not unbearable, but definitely makes you want to just lay in bed. It is improving already though. I got up and made grits for breakfast (with my husband tagging closely and nervously behind... ha ha.) I was worn out afterward and am crashing in bed. Still using a walker, but walking with a bit more ease. I can see that in a few weeks, I will be greatly improved. Let me know if you have any questions! :)

@MajorHeidi Thanks for your encouragement! Always good to hear from you!
 
This is kind of interesting... for those of you that had posterior, did this happen to you? I discovered that I have an area on my stomach (a little below my belly button) where the skin has an abrasion like area... likes it's been rubbed really hard and it actually pulled the skin away a bit. I showed it to my surgeon the evening of surgery and he said it was from the pole that holds my body on the side in or. It is really irritating. I have been keeping neosporin on it. Other bumps and bruises... I have a small abrasion on both elbows and tiny dots of bruising in groin area on operated hip. That's all I can find with my limited movement. Did this happen to anyone else?
 
I found an embedded staple in my side ten days later that they stuck in me to hold the sterile drape during anterior .
I didn't know what it was til I yanked it out bleeding. AArgh but it was nothing really of concern.
 
I'm so glad you mentioned posterior- I was beginning to think I was the only one having that approach! Did I read correctly that you had surgery on Tuesday and were home on Wednesday night? That is amazing! I love reading your posts as I'm just a week behind you and really looking forward to my surgery. Due to side effects, the only med I've been able to take is Ibuprofen and I didn't realize how much that helped until I went off of it completely. My pain has increased tremendously. I can't wait to be in your spot next week...
 
@younghippie u sound like your doing well. I'm the opposite to you though in that I'm only really worrying about recovery. I've been doing a lot of practicing o crutches which should help surely. Are u having to be wary that the kids are careful around u? Xx
 
@PuppyLove Yes, I had posterior. Here are some of my experiences... I know it feels like most are having anterior, so I hope this helps. I had surgery on Tuesday and was discharged from the hospital early Wed. afternoon. I could have left as early as 11:00 am, but was waiting for raised toilet seat to be delivered. My incision is about 6-7 inches long and is on my upper thigh toward my bottom. My surgeon used special internal stitches that dissolve, so I won't have to have them removed. He also put glue on them and a waterproof bandage, so I was able to shower immediately. I took a long shower the first day I came home and washed my hair. Have had another one too. I was never given a catheter. I do not have to wear ted stockings. I was given the calf massager things in the hospital (which were lovely and I even asked if I could buy some... the nurse said no... I may have to search online for them.) I take aspirin twice a day to prevent blood clots. My surgery lasted about 1.5 hours and all went well according to my surgeon. Right now, 4 days later, I see improvement already. I can walk a little more easily and am not in pain if just hanging out in bed. Pain medication more than takes care of any pain from walking around, etc. I am sleeping very well. 9-11 hours straight every night since surgery. The only thing I have had that I wasn't expecting was dizziness/slight nausea after walking around. My husband called doctor yesterday and they think it could be because I am keeping leg raised most of day and then quickly getting up... causing blood to rush to my feet. I have been easing into getting up and that has helped. Also, my sweet husband has been grilling steaks for me to help replenish any lost blood. It has actually helped! Is there anything else you have questions about? I wouldn't worry about having posterior vs. anterior. There is great success with both approaches and I know you'll do great!
 
@PuppyLove Also, I forgot to say... most importantly... even though I had posterior, I have absolutely no restrictions. I even asked my surgeon this again after the surgery and he reassured me, no restrictions! I am being careful though. It's not like you can do a lot of crazy things right after THR.

@busymum That's a great idea to practice with crutches! That will help you a great deal. I had to use crutches the day I came home to get up a couple of garage stairs into my house. That wasn't how we planned it with PT, so I was glad that I was confident on my crutches. The upper body strength will help you a great deal with getting in and out of bed and everything else too. My daughter is old enough that she understands and doesn't get in my way. If you have toddlers or kids even up to about age 5 or 6... you probably need someone at home with you for the first week or two when they are there.
 
@MajorHeidi That's crazy about the embedded staple. Really makes you think about what kind of trauma our bodies go through during THR! Glad you found it! :)
 
@younghippie @PuppyLove I had posterior also and at 7 weeks post op I have to say I couldn't have wished for a better experience. My op and recovery are very similar to younghippie except that I did have the 6 weeks of restrictions. I remain amazed........:) Wishing everyone a relaxing weekend
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom